Planning to buy some supplements !

Options
hello everyone!
i lost about 41 lbs/19 kg i was at first 105 kg/190lbs and now i am trying to build up some muscle
and am planning to buy supplements; whey protein and pre workout powder and creatine and beta alanine ,
so my question is what you guys recommend me as a beginner of those supplements and when the time to take them and does it matter the amount water to put in the shaker for a protein shake and how much should i take in a day

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    save your money and don't buy them..

if you want to gain mass get on a structured lifting program, eat in a caloric surplus of 250 to 500 calories, and make sure that you hit micros and macros..

you don't need supplements…

and when adding muscle you are going to want to get a higher percent of your calorie from carbs...
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting all my cals from whole foods so I use supplements. I start my day off with a 1/2 serving of Serious Mass with 1% milk and end my day with one serving of Casein mixed with cottage cheese and 1% milk.
    I've never used a pre workout. Black coffee does it for me. I use a magic bullet to mix. Happy Gains :-)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    If you have trouble hitting your protein goals then get the whey protein. Creatine maybe if you like benefits both performance wise and mentally, but you really do not need beta alanine. You'd be much better off with a multivitamin, and just eating at a surplus with a nutritionally dense diet. Which is truly all you need to gain muscle other than the required stimulus(working out).

Pre workout can be a major money grab, it's generally just caffeine mixed with 1/10 of the recommended daily intakes of supplements. They put just enough in so that they can claim to contain it.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'll take some whey after a workout. None, on my non training days.

Pre workout I'm trying 200mg caffeine, haven't noticed a difference tho.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Honestly the only thing that will be truly beneficial in terms of supplements is a creatine monohydrate, other than that, you just need an optimal diet And solid training regimen
  • hercrdh88
    hercrdh88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Creatine, quality creatine! German creatine. Beta alanine, multi v, quality one. And follow your nutritional goals on this app. Plus, lift to grow, train for hypertrophy, get that pump, do a bodybuilding style routine. Chest day, leg day, arm day, shoulder day, back day, rest day. Don't lift to impress people, lift to contract the muscle and force blood into it, get that pump! Go watch some bodybuilding videos.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Whey Protein if you don't have enough protein in your diet. I like Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard
    Creatine Monohydrate. Any brand will do, just make sure it's creapure, monohydrate, and powder form. 5g a day, every day.
    Both the above are excellent for lifters - Protein makes sure you have appropriate nutrients to rebuild your muscles bigger and better, creatine gives you that extra rep or 2 when you are pushing for the finish.

Anything else is optional.
  • wbenge2323
    wbenge2323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Whey post workout casein protein before bed so your muscles are getting feed while you sleep
  • wbenge2323
    Options
    2 scoops of both is almost 70 grams of protein ;)
  • wbenge2323
    Options
    1 of each
  • stolen_spoon
    stolen_spoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use a pre-workout that has creatine and some whey protein, but only when I'm training. If I'm on a rest day, I don't take them. Mix some fruit into the protein drinks if you are not a fan of the taste.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have trouble getting sufficient protein especially when lifting so use 100% whey supplement right after a workout-seems to be working.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Spend money on real food, not supplements. All you need is protein powder (if you can't get enough in your diet), creatine and caffeine pills (if you have no coffee).
  • Claps1775
    Claps1775 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Your wasting your money on supplements. But if you feel the need to because you rather drink your nutrition vs eating it. Go to www.labdoor.com and they have rated a large amount of supplements from A to F.
  • feelc
    feelc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Food before supplements. If it's too much food to eat for you, then yeah, drink your calories in a shake. :smile: I myself drink a litre of whole milk a day :lol: but no protein powder etc.