Alright ladies, tell me your fave glute workout!

Options
I personally love cable kick backs and hip thrusts, but I'm looking to add in more exercises targeting the backend area; what are your favourite booty lifts?!

Replies

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts yeahhhhhh
  • KirstieSquats
    KirstieSquats Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mmm deadlifts, always so good!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Got to repeat.
    Squats, dead lifts, hip thrusts, bridges, lunges and step ups.

Sorry nothing new.

Cheers, h.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Strong curves
  • Ronivoni
    Ronivoni Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The lunge and deadlift. Still can't walk....lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lunges, cable kick backs, cable pull throughs, hip thrusts, glute bridges...in addition to squats, front squats, dead lifts, good mornings. I've been doing all of these in a surplus for almost 5 months and put on 3 inches to my butt lol. Time to cut.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Lunges, cable kick backs, cable pull throughs, hip thrusts, glute bridges...in addition to squats, front squats, dead lifts, good mornings. I've been doing all of these in a surplus for almost 5 months and put on 3 inches to my butt lol. Time to cut.

I love cable pull-throughs and I've never seen anyone else doing them. Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Yeah I just sucked it up one day and went for it. Definitely the most awkward glute exercise. When I first tried them I had the weight set pretty light and I think it actually looks less awkward with heavy weight.
  • KirstieSquats
    Options
    Sounds like I'm already doing all the booty work you guys suggested! What kind of weight and rep work are you doing to gain the mass there? I suffer from chronic white girl *kitten*, and it's something I've always struggled building up.
    Congrats on all the great butt work everyone!!
  • arditarose
    Options
    Sounds like I'm already doing all the booty work you guys suggested! What kind of weight and rep work are you doing to gain the mass there? I suffer from chronic white girl *kitten*, and it's something I've always struggled building up.
    Congrats on all the great butt work everyone!!

I could never figure out exactly where I wanted my reps/weights. I always power squat heavy, but I never did squats for glute work really. My lower hypertrophy day includes front squats, barbell lunges, good mornings, hip thrusts or glute bridges, kickbacks and pull throughs. My barbell work for the first three is usually 3-4 sets in the 8-12 rep range, I'll glute bridge in the 12-15 rep range, and the same for kickbacks and pull throughs unless I've added weight and I only get 10 reps here or there. I hip thrust heavy once per week in the 5 rep range for 3-5 sets.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Squats- free motion machine; 80-100lbs 4 sets of 25lbs
  • gabbiil
    gabbiil Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you want to be super awkward the Abductor machine - raised off the seat. But the above exercises are probably more effective and less awkward :D
  • arditarose
    Options
    gabbiil wrote: »
    If you want to be super awkward the Abductor machine - raised off the seat. But the above exercises are probably more effective and less awkward :D

No. I think the abductor, even raised, is less awkward than bridges and cable pull throughs.
  • KirstieSquats
    Options
    I dunno, hip thrusts are awkward as hell in a packed gym! You're all spread eagle for all the eyes to gaze upon haha. I usually get my man to stand in front of me so I don't feel so on "display" for everyone lol!
  • arditarose
    Options
    I dunno, hip thrusts are awkward as hell in a packed gym! You're all spread eagle for all the eyes to gaze upon haha. I usually get my man to stand in front of me so I don't feel so on "display" for everyone lol!

For some reason I can't imagine having your man stand in front of you while you hip thrust in public could be LESS awkward. Possibly more awkward. Still...if you haven't tried the cable pull throughs, you don't know the half of it.
  • KirstieSquats
    Options
    Well when you put it like that haha. No I usually just have him next to me to form check, but it helps having him there to block the prying eyes heehee. I'm going to do the cable pull throughs next time, let the awkwardness commence!
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    All of these are great. I also like split squats, smith machine kneeling squats, wide stance leg press(toes pointed out), and bosu ball squats using a mini band.
  • arditarose
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

For some reason I can't imagine having your man stand in front of you while you hip thrust in public could be LESS awkward. Possibly more awkward. Still...if you haven't tried the cable pull throughs, you don't know the half of it.

Like you, I think heavier weights help with the pull-throughs because people can see you're obviously not just putting on a show. I just try not to make too many faces in my efforts. :laugh:

lol I know. When the weight is like it just looks like a pee wee herman dance or something. Lewd.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    seated good mornings and hip thrusters.

But otherwise- the usual- squats/deadlifts.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In addition to what has been said, I like X-band walks, cable and band abductions, cable hip rotations, hyperextentions and reverse hypers. Also experiment with different variations of hip thrusts- try lower weight higher rep, single-leg, isoholds, banded, frog thrusts (I still have to try these)