10 Reasons to Use an Exercise Ball as Your Chair.

Options
1. Forces proper spine alignment. Because an exercise ball is not stable, your body needs to try to balance itself on it. The perfect spinal posture is coincidently the easiest to balance with. Thus, your body will automatically try to align itself into the proper posture. This helps improve your spinal health, and decrease back pains.

2. Causes you to frequently change positions. An exercise ball causes to you to change your position often to balance. For example, if you turn 45 degrees to face the phone, your body will assume a new position. This helps reduce damage caused by prolonged sitting in the same position.

3. Fitness is at your fingertips. Another great thing about using this alternative to a chair, is that you can do stretches or mini-workouts whenever you want, without getting up. If you’ve ever stuck waiting for a minute or two, you can make productive use of that time with a quick workout or stretch. Because it’s much more convenient, you will probably do it more, thus resulting in better health.

4. Improve your balance. This one is very understandable. Sitting on an unstable surface all day will improve your sense of balance, as well as the reactions of your muscles. The result? An overall better balance, that can be observed out of the office.

5. Get that 6-pack you’ve been wanting. Your body primarily uses your core (abdominal) muscles to help compensate for changes in balance. Thus, your essentially getting a low-key abdominal workout. This may not sound like a lot, but consider the amount of time you spend on your computer at the office, or at home. Those hours can build up, and result in a strengthening of ab muscles.

6. Improves your circulation. Using an exercise ball will keep the blood flowing to all parts of your body, throughout the day. A desk chair on the other hand, reduces circulation to some parts of the body after prolonged use.

7. You’ll feel more energetic. It has been proven that staying in one position, will make you more tired, while moving around and being active with give you more energy. With an exercise ball as a chair, you will feel much more energized after you finish your work.

8. Burn up to 350 calories per day. More movement during the day = more calories burnt. Burning 350 calories per day = losing one pound of fat every 10 days. You may not burn quite 350, but nonetheless, it will help you stay fit.

9. Really cheap. Specialized exercise balls designed for sitting usage can range from $15 to $80. Much cheaper than buying an ergonomic chair, which can range anywhere from $100 to $400 and up.

10. C’mon, its fun! Who doesn’t like the idea of bouncing around on an exercise ball all day. Exercise balls are an exciting alternative to chairs, and may just give that spark of fun to your day.

Here's the link if you'd like to check it out:
http://www.gearfire.net/10-reasons-to-use-an-exercise-ball-as-your-chair/

Replies

• Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    I do this while doing my school work. I mostly did it because the wooden chair I was sitting in was uncomfortable. I needed more cushion. It works though!
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Looks like I will be dragging mine up from the basement to the living room! :D thanks for sharing this
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have the balance disc on my chair its awesome
  • meggamix
    meggamix Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I had a friend I worked with who used one. She loved it. I've been thinking about it for a while and now I just may be convinced! Thanks!
  • JillBieberich
    Options
    We used this at my workplace.....many people enjoyed testing out stability balls at their desk! Good info!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have always wanted to use one as a chair but I think that my coworkers would think that I am nuts : (

I might just do it anyway though! I have had back and shoulder pain recently and I know its because I sit at a desk (and I get up and walk at least down the hall every hour or so!) I can't sit for that long
  • SLMiddleton
    Options
    I have been seriously thinking of swapping ut my chair for an exercise ball...I may just give it a try! Any recommendations for a good one?
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love my ball. i use to use it often for my strength training workouts. I just purchased a Reebok Brand that comes w/A Work Out DVD. I'm looking forward to using it again.

Thanks for the reinforcement.
  • robston
    robston Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    We use them at my office instead of chairs (if you choose to) and I love mine!
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Mine popped due to my children loving it and climbing all over it with buckled shoes and such. :( I can't wait to buy another one.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love my balance ball "chair"

I picked up one that is weighted so I don't find it at the other end of my lab in the morning, it's right where I need it to sit at my computer.

I get a lot of comments and compliments on it, also a lot of questions about who paid for it (I did, not the company).

It's the best tool I have at work (aside from my internet access and MFP) for my health. I can hardly sit in an office chair anymore because they are not comfortable at all.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously thinking of swapping ut my chair for an exercise ball...I may just give it a try! Any recommendations for a good one?

Mine is the Reebok one (Target for about $25)

Weighted so it doesn't roll away when I get up!!
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I just made the switch 2 nights ago! I just bought an exercise ball at the local big box store, had my husband use the air compressor to inflate it, 'cause what man doesn't want to use his power tools, and swapped out the old kitchen office chair for my new red 65cm ball!

Let me tell ya...I do not sit for extended periods of time. But my abs, butt and back muscles are definitely feeling the burn! It's great for someone like me who's up and down all day. I don't think I could sit here ALL day, but for the short periods of time where I sit, I am lovin' this!

Thanks for posting!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    But the recliner is more comfortable! lol If I worked at a desk I would do this, desk chairs suck anyway. But I'm usually on the floor or couch with the laptop on my lap working. :0/
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Our person at work who makes sure everyone is sitting properly made us get rid of all of them cuz she said it was hard on our backs. Ergonomics person?? I dont know much about it but its comfortable!
  • TJWrites00
    TJWrites00 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the ergonomics person will tell you that you need to sit at a 90 degree angle, too, but that is also false. Research has shown that the optimal way to sit is slightly reclined.

My body is not compatible with my work chair, but I've yet to get anyone to do anything about it. Bringing in a ball is one thought. It might help.
  • texasladysv
    texasladysv Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    good post! thanks.