Question for vegans

Options
2»

Replies

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    You are only eating 20 or 22 grams of fat a day.
    We need to eat fat because our bodies do not make it.

Thank you, yes agree. I need to increase my intake of fats. I will get there :smile: Like I said before, it's hard to break the macro thing. I am just getting used to the fact that it's easy to eat awesome foods now without worrying too much about it.

Personally, I find that fat is the macro I need to worry about the most. It's far to easy for me to eat next to no fat, unless I've had a large quantity of nuts or avocado or something.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've heard Beano helps.
    I'll also add my voice to the "don't worry too much about your macros" chorus.

Unfortunately, Beano isn't vegan. It contains gelatin.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I made a VEGAN SMOOTHIE for hubby last night in the Nutribullet with
    1 one avocado
    2 one large unpeeled cucumber
    3 the juice of one lemon
    4 a little fresh ginger
    5 cold water

It was amazing. Hubby loved it.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Not a vegan and not looking to become one (vegetarian for 22.5 years, though), but...

(1) I echo what others have said about soaking beans. Also, dump the soaking water (don't cook in it). And a little piece of kombu when cooking beans seems to help, too. (It's a type of seaweed. You can find it in the Asian section at Whole Foods and probably other places too, or buy it online.) I do usually rinse canned beans, too, although I don't typically have a problem if I don't rinse them (like if I use the liquid from canned pinto beans to make refried beans).

(2) Drinking water helps if you are eating a lot more fiber than usual. I try to eat all whole grains if I can. There is some whole grain hull-less barley that Bob's Red Mill sells (have to order it from their site, haven't seen it in stores) that I like to use in risotto-type dishes (also pearled barley is not a whole grain). Anyway, I love eating it but that is a problem food for me. I have to eat smaller portions and drink a lot of water and I do much better.

(3) How many of the vegetables you are eating are raw? I have a really hard time processing raw vegetables (can do a bit of salad now and then but carrot sticks and hummus? can't handle the carrots!). It may help to eat more cooked vegetables and fewer raw ones and slowly transition.

(4) Classic Beano is not vegan/vegetarian. But this product says it is vegetarian friendly:

http://www.beanogas.com/prevent-gas/beano-meltaways/

Now I have not traced the source of each inactive ingredient. Also I have not tried it. But it exists, and doubtlessly there are similar products on the market as well.

I'm not big on protein, either, but fats are my downfall...
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I made a VEGAN SMOOTHIE for hubby last night in the Nutribullet with
    1 one avocado
    2 one large unpeeled cucumber
    3 the juice of one lemon
    4 a little fresh ginger
    5 cold water

It was amazing. Hubby loved it.

Sounds delish!

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    I have really taken a liking to tofu as a scrambled egg replacement :smile: Anything else anyone uses as an egg replacement other than that?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have really taken a liking to tofu as a scrambled egg replacement :smile: Anything else anyone uses as an egg replacement other than that?

I have the new vegan egg from Follow Your Heart -- it's supposed to be like scrambled eggs. Haven't tried it yet.

I have also tried Ener-G egg replacer (which is used in baking) and it works really well. Usually for baking though, I will just mix up some flax "egg" (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water).
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

For cooking, it depends what you need the egg for. In cooking you can use soaked ground flax seeds, 1/2 cup applesauce, half a ripe banana, soy yogurt, and there are many more options too!

For making an egg dish, I do like the scrambled tofu approach... And I also recently saw this "omelette mix" thing being sold at an eco store dry section, it could be interesting to try.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the new vegan egg from Follow Your Heart -- it's supposed to be like scrambled eggs. Haven't tried it yet.

I would love to try that!
  • DaddieCat
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have also tried Ener-G egg replacer (which is used in baking) and it works really well. Usually for baking though, I will just mix up some flax "egg" (1 tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2 tablespoons of warm water).

I am personally squicked by that (squicked = made uncomfortable) and wouldn't eat it... but that's just me.

I hope you like it, though. :)

Edited for clarity.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I am personally squicked by that (squicked = made uncomfortable) and wouldn't eat it... but that's just me.

Edited for clarity.

Yeah, I think I'm a bit ambivalent too . . . probably why it has been sitting in my pantry for a couple of weeks. I like to try all new vegan products though. I would say about 75%, at least, of what I try once I never buy again. I was disappointed to see that it doesn't have much protein at all. Tofu scramble is still a much better fit for my needs.
  • DaddieCat
    Options

Edited for clarity.

Yeah, I think I'm a bit ambivalent too . . . probably why it has been sitting in my pantry for a couple of weeks. I like to try all new vegan products though. I would say about 75%, at least, of what I try once I never buy again. I was disappointed to see that it doesn't have much protein at all. Tofu scramble is still a much better fit for my needs.

Same... I try things because I work in the foods industry and no one else will sample the vegan products, lol. But we haven't been presented this by a vendor yet, so no free samples. I'll eat almost all free vegan food at least once.

But I'd rather have scrambled tofu with day old fried rice for breakfast any day... but then again.. fits my macros better and that's a big concern for me. Lol... IIFYV(egan)M
  • greenalfoil
    greenalfoil Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I find I need more water as a vegan than I did before. I still suffer from the bloating but usually when I don't have a lot of water. Stick to it! All the changes didn't stop til roughly 6 months in. Things like cravings & at one point always being hungry.
    You've completely changed your body's idea of energy so it takes a while.

All the best!
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am a little suspicious of replacements and foods that "pretend" to be something else in general haha! Not to say they are not delicious and healthy. I just have to take some time and do some research. For now I am good with scrambled (tofu) eggs :smiley:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Just a quick update -
    If you've been commenting/reading/following this post, I've been on my 100% plant-sourced nutrition plan for about two weeks now and wow what a ride! I have found so many brilliant new products that I just love and so many more options than just meat every day and every night! At this point the thought of meat makes me feel so tired and weighed down in my mind.

My food tastes so much better being natural, clean, raw and with so many delightful veggie options I am like a kid in a candy store when grocery shopping, cooking, preparing!

I have lost weight without even trying. I weight myself once a week on Friday mornings and when I stepped on the scale last Friday I was amazed to be close to 5 LBs down. I hadn't even thought of the weight loss aspect. I tend to think it's a combination of water weight and toxins leaving my body and that's awesome! My energy levels are still off the charts, I am getting more than enough protein along with all important nutrients that my body needs. I feel awesome overall, mind, body and soul.

As you know, I was slightly bloated for the first few days but thanks to the good suggestions here I increased my water and that passed quickly.

I feel that my body has become so efficient as far as using the nutrients that I'm giving it to perform. I feel confident that even if I didn't track my foods/calories at the end of each day I'll be on point.

I have no aches or pains from exercise or *ahem* growing older, or anything. I crave nothing, I want for nothing, I have no feelings of wanting to snack mindlessly nor do I miss or even think of things like meat, dairy, eggs, sugars, etc.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and advice. Life is good and this is awesome!