Still not 100% sure what a calorie deficit is?

Options
So I'm still confused to what a calorie deficit is? It doesn't make sense to me, when it says burn more calories than you consume this is what I thought it is... My calorie goal for the day is 1,300 so do I have to burn more than 1,300 calories each day to create one, because that just isn't possible for me. I'm sure iv got this wrong, so I'm hoping someone can help me? X

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A calorie deficit is when you consume fewer calories than your body uses.

You burn a lot of calories just by living. You don't have to exercise at all to create a deficit although exercise is good for other reasons.

If you put your info into MFP, the calorie goal that it gave you already includes a deficit based on the amount you said you wanted to lose.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You're right. A calorie deficit is when you burn more calories than you consume. However, it's not just exercise. You body burns calories at rest just existing performing functions like breathing, pumping your blood around and regulating your body temperature. In fact, that is where the majority of your calorie burn will come from.

So you can relax a bit. You don't have to burn more than 1,300 calories a day through exercise.
  • kayleexbabeex
    kayleexbabeex Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thankyou I really thought it meant burning over 1,300 calories through exercise :0 how do people create their own calorie deficit?
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Did you set your goals to lose and been honest about your weight and activitylevel, then you don´t have to think more about it. Go by cals recomended by mfp and you will lose ;-) They estimated the deficit for you ;-)