Sodium and Sugar

Options
Hi all,

I am looking for some help with sodium and sugar levels. I have just recently joined this website and through the meal tracking section I am noticing that I am over my projected sodium and sugar levels on a daily basis. I am looking for some help to reduce this problem. Typically, I eat pretty healthy, lots of fruit and veggies but I am still unable to get my sugar and sodium levels down. Does any one have suggestions or perhaps encountered this problem too?

Thanks

Replies

• Heraci
    Heraci Posts: 23
    Options
    It depends on what types of fruit you are eating. There are plenty of fruits that are very high in sugars, and while they may be 'healthy,' they aren't going to reflect that in the sugar department. Also, Sodium is usually the culprit in everyone's diet. Processed foods are usually higher in sodium and salts than those that are natural, but that is part of the risk you run when you want foods that are going to last more than two days. It's a tough balance.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    if you open your diary so we could see what the source of your sodium is Im sure everyone would have lots of alternate suggestions.
    I just had to not track my sugar,too frustrating to be over just because I had a few cubes of watermelon with my breakfast.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Anything processed will be really high in sodium. Boxed pastas, frozen diet meals. Condiments are what kills me, ketchup, salsa, mustard. It's so hard to avoid. Basically the only way is to eat only "whole" foods, meat you cooks yourself (no sausage, no bacon, no lunch meat), fruits, veggies. I do try but not that hard. I've kind of given up. I do regularly use Mrs. Dash instead of salt, and never add salt when cooking.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Try making your diary public so we can truly see what you are eating to make recommendations and swaps for lower sodium lower sugar choices. MFP allows the max daily recommendation for sodium, If you are trying to lose weight you would need to drink 14 glasses of water a day to conteract this (or more depending on how much your over) or try to get that number down to around 1500
  • biminij99
    biminij99 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You MUST make sure you are getting enough dietary fiber both soluble and insoluble. You should make sure you get at least 25-30g per day (the average American only gets 12-15 max). Fiber slows the absorption of sugars into the blood stream among other benefits. It doesn't matter that fruits have sugars in them. They have fiber to balance it out. Eat plenty of fruits and veggies, especially nuts and beans!!! Studies have shown that an increase in fiber intake helps people with diabeties lower their dose of medication or come off it altogether. Hope this helps.
  • Start2011
    Start2011 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I tend to not eat much pasta or put salt in the foods I am eating.

I do however take get lunch meat from the store to make sandwiches throughout the week. Does anyone have an good alternative lunch ideas other than an sandwich which is easy to make?