Do you weight yourself?

Options
I realise this is a bit of a bonkers question but I am really getting fed up of thinking I have lost weight only to weigh myself and realise I have lost ... NOTHING. Nothing = feeling really fed up and potentially saying stuff it and let's eat cake. Whereas, if I look at myself and think 'hey you are looking good today' I seem to focus on eating more mindfully and not going for the pity me cake stuff.. what do you do? I still want to log but without the weighing of body.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? Are you weighing yourself in a consistent setting (same time of day, same amount of clothing, after using the bathroom or before eating)?
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Wednesday morn.. before breakfast, set in my bathroom.. nothing different including what the scales say...
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of questions people can ask to better understand why you may not be losing weight, but I don't think your suggestion is bad at all. If you can log what you eat and not worry about the scale, it can really take the pressure off and get you to focus on being healthier and all the benefits of that.

When I first started to lose weight, I was only motivated by the scale, but when you're losing weight in a healthy way it can be so slow, and it's hard to avoid the things you're trying not to eat when you feel like it's not affecting your weight in any real way. When I made the decision to stick with the program (WW at the time) but forget about weight loss, I was so much happier because I started to feel better and have more energy, and eventually my clothes started to feel looser and I was getting positive reinforcement from those around me. Before I knew it, I had lost significant weight without putting so much pressure on myself.

If this has been going on for a while, there are probably changes that you can make to your diet and/or activity that will help you lose weight more effectively. But if you're healthy and happy just to see the changes you experience from mindful eating and a more healthy lifestyle, it wouldn't hurt to take that pressure off yourself for a bit!
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You might want to try Trendweight or Libra and weigh everyday for a while.
    I used to weigh Saturday mornings and never saw the scale move. Turns out Saturday monring is when I weigh the most each week.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every single morning.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but I also do measurements once a month :)
  • carolyn__x
    carolyn__x Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I recognize what you're saying. It can be unmotivating when you see you lost nothing. I have other goals then the scale as well to make me feel good and motivate me, such as going to the gym that day, or not going over my cal. I still weigh and log everyday as well as do measurement once a month.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Try weighing yourself less often for a while, say once a month, or less.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I did the same and now only weigh around once a month or some random morning if I feel like it. So many years I was preoccupied with the only success being numbers on the scale and sometimes it would actually enrage me how I wouldn't lose anything when I had done everything right. But now, I just weigh less but take measurements and fitness levels and obviously how I fit in clothes. Depending on what you do too, can really change your shape and weight. For example, the weight I am now is the same from 4 years ago at one point BUT I'm like 3/4 dress sizes smaller at this weight than I was before (I power lift and do heavy sports) so it's all relative.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've had those days too - where you've been so good with your eating, etc. and you feel great. So you think oh I've lost weight for sure. Then you weigh yourself and you've gained or stayed the same. So not motivating. But I find that eventually the scale will start to show the changes. While the number on the scale isn't everything, I think it's an important way to track progress. So I weigh myself once a week.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    You might want to try Trendweight or Libra and weigh everyday for a while.
    I used to weigh Saturday mornings and never saw the scale move. Turns out Saturday monring is when I weigh the most each week.

+1 what matters is the overall trend is downward as the weeks/months go by.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    lol. she's received weigh every day and weigh less often! I would tend to suggest which may have been suggested already, that you tighten up your logging and perhaps take a look at your calorie level intake for weight loss. maybe its time to adjust. all you can do is ensure you are really creating your desired calorie deficit. eat a little less, exercise a little more.

I weigh ever day on Aria cuz i have a fitbit but don't get hung up on it. I'm thankful that I know i'm down over 20lbs and see the scales down in that "zone". thank god i'm not where i was! :smiley:
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You are the one who has to make this work. If you think that putting the scale away will help ease your mind, then do it.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am a daily weigh in and use Trendweight person. I also take measurements once a month. Sometimes you see changes in measurements when the scale isn't moving. Sometimes I can feel changes in the contours of my body even when I can't see them in the mirror. I also notice changes in how my clothes fit and feel, how my body feels when I am moving and working and the changes in my endurance while working out.

You need not get hung up on just the scale number.

If that number gets stuck for a month then you might have a problem with your food logging that needs to be looked at.