HRM

Options
Hi, all!

I'm looking to purchase a heart rate monitor that also registers calories burned. I know that there are a lot of options out there, but I'm looking for one with accurate calorie burn calculations. I've tried researching them, but I'd rather hear it from my fellow MFPers and their experiences!

Thanks so much for your help! :happy:

Replies

• FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! But I'm also broke, and I don't think cheap ones calculate calories. Or maybe they do! I don't know!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do a search on HRM in the message board, you'll get hundreds of results. This is a very FAQ. :happy:
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 purchased on Amazon for $65.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Anything made by Polar is going to be good quality and pretty accurate. I have the FT7 model, and many here use other models such as the FT4, etc. These have a chest strap for constant monitoring, which is a must.
  • jenjenlv
    jenjenlv Posts: 42
    Options
    I heard NB HRM (New Balance) registers low calories. I got the Polar brand and I love it!! I absolutely recommend it. It's about $80 - $100, but all the ones that are worth getting, are around that price. I would have never dreamed of spending this much on an HRM, but I am thankful I did
  • skeele
    skeele Posts: 72
    Options
    Yeah I'm pretty pissed at myself cuz I bought a cheaper HRM than the Polar ones. I don't like it. Should have gone with the good reviews of the Polar FT4 or FT7.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4's are $73.99 with free shipping at www.heartratemonitorsusa.com. Just got mine. Super easy to use, and I'm a tech retard.
  • ilovecreg120809
    ilovecreg120809 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 purchased on Amazon for $65.

i ordered the same thing today same price :)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar Bluetooth+, which sync with your Andriod. I LOVE IT. I have found that I workout more since Ive gotten my HRM because I am getting SUPER accurate numbers. I think it was only $80, plus the Andriod app, which I think was $2.50 or something of that nature.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder guys, FT4 doesn't calculate Vo2max, which is needed for accurate calorie count! Only FT6 and higher I think!
  • myboysmomx2
    myboysmomx2 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

I purchased a Polar FT40 a few weeks ago to replace my old Polar (which didn't calculate calories burned) and I the FT40.

You can search the internet for specials and lowest prices if you are shopping for any HRM on sites like Amazon, sporting stores, ebay, etc.

I searched and bought both of mine on heartratemonitors dot com and also found an online coupon for it and saved an additional $10.00 in addition to it being on sale at the time I purchased it.

**** Actually I checked about 2 weeks ago after receiving an email about a sale on heartratemonitors dot com and the FT40 that I bought is now on sale for $129.66 with free UPS 1 - 2 days delivery. I paid around $149.95 on sale when I got my FT40 so this is now a good price for anyone looking at the FT40 !

And for anyone looking at the FT7 (another popular HRM with members on here) - it is also on sale for $82.17 with free shipping !

The FT4 is on sale for $73.99 with free shipping as well ****
  • helloimangela
    Options
    Thank you for your help, everyone! After researching, it seemed like Polar was the best brand to get and now you've confirmed it for me! I think I'm going to look into the FT7 model...
  • Dcgfeller
    Dcgfeller Posts: 83
    Options
    I have the Polar Bluetooth+, which sync with your Andriod. I LOVE IT. I have found that I workout more since Ive gotten my HRM because I am getting SUPER accurate numbers. I think it was only $80, plus the Andriod app, which I think was $2.50 or something of that nature.

What android app are you using?
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Just a reminder guys, FT4 doesn't calculate Vo2max, which is needed for accurate calorie count! Only FT6 and higher I think!

This may be an obvious thing but I'm clueless....what is Vo2max?
  • Dcgfeller
    Options
    Not to get into the nitty gritty of calorie calculation, Vo2max is basically the amount of oxygen a particular individual is able to move through their system over a period of time.

Edit: its also not anything that you can test very accurately yourself as far as I am aware. Need to get tests and whatnot. (please correct me if I am wrong anyone!)
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    From the Polar website:

"Polar Fitness Test measures your aerobic fitness at rest in just five minutes. The result, Polar OwnIndex, evaluates your maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max). With the Polar Fitness Test you can measure your aerobic fitness by yourself, automatically and without any exertion. All you need is your training computer. The Polar Fitness Test is as accurate in predicting the VO2max as any sub maximal fitness test. The test is based on heart rate and heart rate variability at rest and personal information"
  • Dcgfeller
    Options
    Interesting. Did you come across any links as to the variablity of that test's results with actual "lab administered" testing in the same individuals? Seems odd to estimate oxygen capacity based on heart rate, but I suppose it is better than nothing.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    From the Polar website:

"Polar Fitness Test measures your aerobic fitness at rest in just five minutes. The result, Polar OwnIndex, evaluates your maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max). With the Polar Fitness Test you can measure your aerobic fitness by yourself, automatically and without any exertion. All you need is your training computer. The Polar Fitness Test is as accurate in predicting the VO2max as any sub maximal fitness test. The test is based on heart rate and heart rate variability at rest and personal information"

Actually the FT4 and FT7 do this in a sense I believe to determine your zones. They just don't advertise it as that because they prob. want you to buy the more expensive one.
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Why am I just now hearing about this?! I didn't even know this was an option and ordered my hrm yesterday. I would send it back and get this but I have already opened it. Oh well, I got the polar f4 on amazon. I'm still ecstatic to have it and can't wait to break it in later.