Calorie counting exercises on MFP....help

Options
So ive been on here about a mnth and lost 11lb so must be doing something right. However, im getting a bit depressed when i see people log calories. Ive seen people log over a thousand calories in an hour, yet i dont get anywhere close to that yet, and ive got a polar ft4 HRM!!!

Is it just that my HRM is more accurate than the MPF database, and those people are logging exercises with too high calories for what they are actually burning??

8049612.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• whipdancer
    whipdancer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn from exercise is going to vary from person to person. My wife and I work out together. On average, I will burn OVER twice as many calories for the same exercise. You can't compare to what others are doing. It has no basis in reality.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I am still not near that close and I don't think people are accurately getting the right calories. I have the same HRM and I have been steadily losing too.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've also got an ft4 :) I can't log a thousand calories but with 25 minutes of 30 day shred really pushing myself I burn 240 calories and then swimming for 35-45 minutes is about another 270 calories depending on how much im doing :) what kind of workouts/exercise do u do?
  • Thunderith
    Thunderith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have found that my polar gives me a much more accurate reading of my calorie loss than this database is. I would trust your readings and trust that they are correct.
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    Yes, your HRM is accurate because it does your heart rate. I was logging exercises from the database before I bought mine and it was completely off.
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your 11 pound loss. That is awesome for 1 month. I would say not to focus on what others are doing if what you are doing works for you. Obviously it is so don't worry about the next person. Everyone burns calories at different rates based on their age, weight, level of intensity, etc. The HRM being used can be inaccurate as well.

Stay focused on hanging in here. If this is the least of your worries, you're doing awesome!