2nd week in and I have horrible headaches!

Options
So I am getting head aches at night, I did a quick search before i posted this thread and I still am wondering whats up, I don't drink coffee, I gave that up almost 3 months ago. I usually am low-ish carb anyway ( no bread, no pasta, no rice or potatoes) I limit my sugar, I could probably limit more but I am trying to cut that out slowly. I think maybe I am not getting enough calories? I am 276 lbs 5'6 feet and I am eating about 1700 a day. Sometimes that is hard. I drink 2 or 3 refills of my 20 oz water a day at work and probably another 32 at home. ( total 92 oz) any ideas?

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I go low carbs too.

I have had that terrible headache once. At a cup of rice + 2 oz of meat protein. Headache was gone in minutes. You can try with almond milk, whole milk, some fast dissolving carbs that you are comfortable with. Dieting is good but comfort take first priority for me.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Low starchy carbs causes me terrible headaches someone mentioned something about electrolytes to me regarding this but I know nothing more!
  • sassysisterjd
    sassysisterjd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Do you think it could possibly be non-diet related at all? Pollen season is in full swing where I live and it is no joke this year.
    But, if you feel like the headaches are due to low calorie, you could always change your mfp goal to a less aggressive one and see if that helps?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    So I am getting head aches at night, I did a quick search before i posted this thread and I still am wondering whats up, I don't drink coffee, I gave that up almost 3 months ago. I usually am low-ish carb anyway ( no bread, no pasta, no rice or potatoes) I limit my sugar, I could probably limit more but I am trying to cut that out slowly. I think maybe I am not getting enough calories? I am 276 lbs 5'6 feet and I am eating about 1700 a day. Sometimes that is hard. I drink 2 or 3 refills of my 20 oz water a day at work and probably another 32 at home. ( total 92 oz) any ideas?

If that's how many calories you are actually eating (not netting) I would raise calories. I am your height and went from 170ish (I had already lost 30 pounds without cutting calories by this point.) to 150 eating between 1750 and 1850 each day. I believe that you could eat more and still lose quite well.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight 7-8 years ago, my calories were pretty low and I would get hunger headaches at night before I went to bed. I was pretty twisted and thought it was me suffering for my goal, but in hindsight it was just stupid. A body needs calories to function. I was depriving my brain of nutrients. That's not wise for anyone.

I would see about upping your calories. I've done that myself recently going to maintenance mode, I give myself a about 200 calories in the evening for a snack now. It was a great way to up my calories without going bonkers and eating a cheeseburger for lunch, you know?

Apples w/Peanut Butter? Maybe a snack bar of some kind (lot's of choices here!), a greek yogurt (anywhere from 100-150 calories)... always something yummy and healthy to find to keep you from going to bed miserable!

Good luck!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    With that much water, you could be flushing too much sodium out of your body. There is such a thing as too much water. Maybe back off a pint or 2 and see if it helps.
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Heyy I remember when I started I began to get a bad headache for about a week! It went after that. I think you should try drink a lot more water as the headaches could be a result of dehydration? Good luck!
  • CandyBryson
    CandyBryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am going to try to give myself a under 200 calorie snack before I go to bed, Last night I had a late dinner, and didn't have a headache, of course I also had late afternoon snack also. I lost 4 lbs last week which I wrote off to water, but if my loss this week is as significant then I am going to give myself a little higher calorie allowance.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    To the OP, how many grams of carbs per day are you getting? You could be getting Wheat/Paleo Flu, over and over again.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Going low carb can cause headaches and a large amount of water could be flushing out things like sodium and magnesium. You don't mention how low your carbs are. If you are in ketosis, you should look into mineral supplements. If you are just trying to cut back on carbs, you might need to eat a bit more of them to satisfy your body's needs, and still check out mineral supplements. If that doesn't help, you should check with your doctor. It may not be related at all.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    How is your health in general? Especially your blood sugar level (pre-diabetes, diabetes)? You may be prone to hypogycemia which can be quite dangerous. If it continues, if I were you I'd check in with my physician.

Read this and see if it matches any other symptoms: http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html?referrer=https://www.google.fi/

Hopefully it is just hunger since you are netting quite low calories for your weight and height. Wish you all the best. :)
  • SoyBoricua78
    SoyBoricua78 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I first started keto dieting I was told about all the symptoms and realized it was my body going thru the keto flu and also detoxing from the carbs and sugars...
  • FlabToFitty
    FlabToFitty Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hey I had the same thing but it went after a week just try drinking water that helped me :) good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to eliminate caffeine from your diet unless it is medically indicated. If you don't want to drink coffee, see if a cup of black tea helps.

Hydration is a BIG part of headache management. For a lot of people, 8 cups of fluid a day are not enough--so getting more water is another thing that you can try.