Having A Hard Time Loosing Weight, Feeling Hopeless!

Options
I've Been Trying To Loose Weight For The Longest I've Changed My Lifestyle On how I eat , my routine I walk/Run At least 3Times a day and work out in the morning and before I go to bed at least 1-2hours a day. but I'm not seeing much change I've been trying and trying and I just want to give up but I don't want to be fat anymore! Could There Be Something wrong with me ? I Am Really Trying , But Im Seeing Very Little Change. I've been working out for three months and Bearly lost 5lbs.

Replies

• dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My guess would be your diet, my problem was sneaky sugar and calorie I was justifying. Is your diary open to look at?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Working out is helpful for fitness, but what you eat is way more important for weight loss.

How many calories are you eating per day?
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you're burning more calories than you're taking in - you will lose weight. Slowly and surely. It works. It never fails. The thing that fails is our ability to stick with it. There isn't anything wrong with you. But I fully understand how aggravating it can be to not see the results you may have hoped for. Again, slow and steady. Burn more than you take in and you will lose weight.

Aside from that, you may want to revisit whatever it is you've changed your eating life style. While eating healthier is good, if you eat 2500 calories in cookies or 2500 calories in kale, you're not really doing much to help yourself.
  • kayleigh376
    kayleigh376 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I found eating was my downfall, I wouldn't eat a lot but what I did eat was completely wrong. have you looked into IIFYM (if it fits your macro's) not everyone likes to do it that way but for me if works perfectly, you can still enjoy certain foods you like within reason but it has actually changed how I look at food and what I eat. As for exercise, HIIT routines work great! there's plenty on youtube and pinterest :smile:
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Your diet definitely counts for much, much more than working out in the weight loss game. Are you tracking and logging your food consumption?

Also, is your fitness routine sustainable? If you don't see yourself exercising like this forever, don't do it now for the sole purpose of losing weight. You'll burn yourself out. Instead, focus on your diet; exercise for fitness, not weight loss; and develop a fitness routine that is sustainable.
  • kirsten439
    kirsten439 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    With the amount of exercise you are getting, you may be putting on a lot muscle weight (which is a good thing) that is offsetting the fat you are losing. I am in the same position. I have been dieting and exercising too and have only lost 4 pounds. But, I also lost a pants size and I can see that I am slimmer.
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You're exercising, which is really good. But you're eating a little too much, if you're not losing weight. It really helps to measure everything very carefully. Do you have a digital kitchen scale? There's a good one on Amazon for about $10 here: http://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004164SRA

Also, don't trust the calorie counts they give you at some restaurants. Often they give you more food than it says, because they don't want to be accused of shortchanging the customer.

Measure everything. Make sure you count the tablespoon of cooking oil you used to sautee your vegetables, and the pat of butter you put on your toast, and enter it all into your MFP food diary every day. If you're still not losing weight at the rate you want to, after another few weeks, lower your calorie target by 200 calories or so.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Running and walking should put on too much muscle to offset a calorie loss (lifting maybe).
    To the chart! I love this thing because it really breaks down most of the problems you're going to run into with not losing weight.
    zpcuy3kivj01.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    kirsten439 wrote: »
    With the amount of exercise you are getting, you may be putting on a lot muscle weight (which is a good thing) that is offsetting the fat you are losing. I am in the same position. I have been dieting and exercising too and have only lost 4 pounds. But, I also lost a pants size and I can see that I am slimmer.

Adding lean muscle while eating at a deficit is highly unlikely. Most people hope to retain lean muscle while losing weight. Plus OP's workouts are cardio, not strength training.

OP - measure portions (everything) and keep an eye on your database selections. There are quite a few wrong entries.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • kirsten439
    kirsten439 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Or, if you are pushing yourself too hard by eating too few calories, or exercising too much, your body will slow your metabolism to hold onto as much body fat as possible. It is a natural defense our bodies have against famine. Make sure you are eating all of you calories everday and never dip below 1200.
    Also, make sure you are not always working out as hard and fast as you can. Slower and easier workout and more general physical activity during the day, will burn more body fat. Hard and fast workout burn more blood sugar and wear you out fast with lower calorie burn.

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Or, if you are pushing yourself too hard by eating too few calories, or exercising too much, your body will slow your metabolism to hold onto as much body fat as possible. It is a natural defense our bodies have against famine. Make sure you are eating all of you calories everday and never dip below 1200.
    Also, make sure you are not always working out as hard and fast as you can. Slower and easier workout and more general physical activity during the day, will burn more body fat. Hard and fast workout burn more blood sugar and wear you out fast with lower calorie burn.

It doesn't quite work like that. See http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1 for a very thorough review, including references.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You can't out-exercise a bad diet. Exercise is good and should totally keep doing it, but it's not what you need to do to lose weight. It can help, but exercise alone doesn't work unless you're upping your exercise level massively! Focus on controlling your calories in first. Get that under control, and you'll start seeing results.

Start with getting a food scale and weighing EVERYTHING. Log that for a week without changing and see where you're at. You will probably be surprised at how much you are eating; I think pretty much everyone is when they first start weighing and logging if they're honest with themselves! Then, once you have an idea where you are, you can start making small changes and giving yourself time to get used to them. Yes, it's slow! But in the process, you're learning what actual portions look like as well as changing your eating habits. It takes longer, but at the end, you'll have the tools and knowledge to keep the weight off, which is just as helpful.
  • itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are having a difficult time. You may not subscribe to the methodology that I am about to suggest, but I felt compelled to share since it has helped me immensely. For me, meditation has been an amazing, and life changing addition to my weight loss routine. My theory is, your body holds onto weight in order to ground and solidify yourself when your scattered in life. Once I began to balance myself, in ADDITION to my other weight loss techniques, I found that I was less hungry, more focused, and happier with my progress. Food for thought!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that you are having a difficult time. You may not subscribe to the methodology that I am about to suggest, but I felt compelled to share since it has helped me immensely. For me, meditation has been an amazing, and life changing addition to my weight loss routine. My theory is, your body holds onto weight in order to ground and solidify yourself when your scattered in life. Once I began to balance myself, in ADDITION to my other weight loss techniques, I found that I was less hungry, more focused, and happier with my progress. Food for thought!

..............no.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I've Been Trying To Loose Weight For The Longest I've Changed My Lifestyle On how I eat , my routine I walk/Run At least 3Times a day and work out in the morning and before I go to bed at least 1-2hours a day. but I'm not seeing much change I've been trying and trying and I just want to give up but I don't want to be fat anymore! Could There Be Something wrong with me ? I Am Really Trying , But Im Seeing Very Little Change. I've been working out for three months and Bearly lost 5lbs.

Nothing is wrong with you. The only factor you haven't taken in account is your eating. You're consuming more calories than you are burning, bottom line. Give this site a try for AT LEAST 45 days. Log everything, be honest with yourself and have patience. I promise you will see results!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Yeah, no, probably not. Running nor walking is not going to build muscle.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

..............no.

Agreed. Most definitely not. Seems like a potentially harmful visualization to me as well. You don't need to gain weight when you fall apart - many do because they start stress eating.

However, meditation can help reduce stress and that can definitely help in many areas of life, including weight loss.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    No mention of eating in a deficit. Start there. Use a food scale if you haven't been. Use the recipe builder. Work on accurate logging. Whenever I am having issues all I need to do is look to my logging and I find the problem. Doesn't matter how much I workout if my calories are off.