Weight Loss Plateau - Lift or Cardio?

Options
Hi, I'm a 28 year old female at 123lbs, 5'3 tall.
I put on 20lbs last year, within a 3 month travel period after some stressful times, and in a rather unsightly way as well. My excess fat is all around my torso. I'm unhappy with my weight, and have been trying to cut down calories, and get workouts in.

I've weight trained and been super fit from ages 19-23, and am not used to doing a lot of cardio, and can't seem to manage it.

Can anyone tell me if a short warm up and weights help me lose weight, or do I need to build stamina towards hardcore cardio?

Any offers to mentor would be great. Thank you.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Cardio would help give you extra calories to eat as well as build your cardiovascular fitness, but that's about it. You don't need it to lose weight. Lifting is also unnecessary for weight loss, but it gives you stronger better looking muscles. All exercise is just extra for fitness and is not crucial to weight loss. Do (or don't do) whatever you enjoy as long as you keep your calories under control.
  • davimcf
    davimcf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hit the weight plateau and though my weight training continued and the weights lifted got more. My body measurement especially round the waist stayed the same.
    My PT suggested I start with walking at a brisk pace on the treadmill once a week for 30 minutes only and see how things went. I was never a runner or a jogger.
    6 weeks ago I started adding the cardio day into the gym week. 10 min warm up on bike, 30 mins on treadmill as fast as im comfortable with and then 10 mins cool down again
    First week was hard but I stuck with it
    From there is got easier, each time and faster.
    My waist has dropped 2 inches now and have discovered that I can Jog/run a 5K in about 30 minutes now.
    You just need to see what suits you best.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lifting and cardio are good things to do but for fitness, strength, retention of lean mass and the ability to eat more food while still losing weight (adherence). Plus much higher chance of actually looking like you hope when you get to goal weight.
    Personally would always go for both.

Super fit but can't manage lots of cardio is an interesting but slighty confusing phrase by the way!

But for weight loss it's calorie balance. If you are in a prolonged plateau then first look at your food logging accuracy and then think of revising your calorie goal.
    If just short term plateau (especially after starting or changing your routine) then suggest just giving it a bit more time.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit helps to lose weight. That's all...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    The only cardio you need to do, is HIIT sprint 8, 20 mins, twice a week. Pump iron heavy, twice a week.
  • sunashines
    sunashines Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Cardio would help give you extra calories to eat as well as build your cardiovascular fitness, but that's about it. You don't need it to lose weight. Lifting is also unnecessary for weight loss, but it gives you stronger better looking muscles. All exercise is just extra for fitness and is not crucial to weight loss. Do (or don't do) whatever you enjoy as long as you keep your calories under control.

Thanks!
  • sunashines
    Options
    davimcf wrote: »
    I hit the weight plateau and though my weight training continued and the weights lifted got more. My body measurement especially round the waist stayed the same.
    My PT suggested I start with walking at a brisk pace on the treadmill once a week for 30 minutes only and see how things went. I was never a runner or a jogger.
    6 weeks ago I started adding the cardio day into the gym week. 10 min warm up on bike, 30 mins on treadmill as fast as im comfortable with and then 10 mins cool down again
    First week was hard but I stuck with it
    From there is got easier, each time and faster.
    My waist has dropped 2 inches now and have discovered that I can Jog/run a 5K in about 30 minutes now.
    You just need to see what suits you best.

Wow, that's great progress, thanks for this. I'll definitely add a cardio day and increase as I feel comfortable.
  • sunashines
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Lifting and cardio are good things to do but for fitness, strength, retention of lean mass and the ability to eat more food while still losing weight (adherence). Plus much higher chance of actually looking like you hope when you get to goal weight.
    Personally would always go for both.

Super fit but can't manage lots of cardio is an interesting but slighty confusing phrase by the way!

But for weight loss it's calorie balance. If you are in a prolonged plateau then first look at your food logging accuracy and then think of revising your calorie goal.
    If just short term plateau (especially after starting or changing your routine) then suggest just giving it a bit more time.

Yes, ok. That sentence should have been broken down. I was super fit EXTERNALLY at one point with lean muscle, low body fat, but only did up to 20 mins of jogging at the time because I didn't see the need for any more cardio. And since I gave up training dedicatedly, I pretty much stuck to weight training at home with 0 cardio.

I'll definitely reassess the accuracy of my calorie logging, and add a cardio day to my routine as mentioned above by Davimcf. Thank you for your input.