protien

Options
I never seem to get enough protein, I would like to add protein but I need to keep carbs and sugars low. I would like to add a protein shake and I am looking for suggestions on the best one to buy.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Walmart has a 100% price guarantee. If you don't like the taste, simply return it with receipt.
    I started with Pure Protein (now a costco member and use gold standard).
    I would start with a protein bar.
    It will give you a chance to "taste test".
    I make my protein with skim milk (water is too nasty).
    I also use a cheap $15 to mixer from walmart (not needed but mixes nicely).
    Target also sells these.

I prefer to eat my protein and only drink the shakes occasionally.
    I like to grill chicken and have it in the fridge.
    I like greek plain fat free yogurt with blueberries. (calcium and protein)
    Skim milk in my coffee (for protein, magnesium, potassium, and vitamin d).
    Some string mozza cheese as a snack with almonds as a snack for protein.
    Boiled eggs.
    Quinoa is a complete protein. Try it.

Disclaimer: I'm a high carb person. Good carbs only.
    I can keep this diet for life.
    Fiber from foods helps keep me full
    Lentils, high fiber cereal. beans, veggies, sweet potatoes, plain oatmeal, chickpeas, brown rice.
    My protein goal is at least 46 grams a day.
    I see you might be older = don't forget your calcium and vitamin d requirements (milk?)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein chips. I love them. They satisfy my snacking urge, have 20g protein and only 2g fat and 5g carbs.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you trying to get on a daily basis? There are plenty of food sources to get protein without adding excess carbs. I average about 80g of protein per day and generally keep my carbs between 50-75.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    For a protein shake, optimum nutrition 100% whey is my fave. 24g protein, 3g carbs, 1g sugar. Rocky road is tha bomb. I make it with unsweetened almond milk. Water with it is nasty to me.

I also like lean1. It's a meal replacement, not just a protein shake. Much heavier on the carbs and sugar. 17g of protein though.

Luna protein bars are really good. They usually have 12g of protein, but they've got something like 21 grams of carbs and probably 12g of sugar. Quest bars I know have much less sugar, like 1g. I believe carbs are still around 20g on those as well.

If you feel like eating your protein, lean ground beef, eggs, deli meat, cottage cheese, chicken, even beef jerky .... Those all have lots of protein, very little to no carbs.

Try strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries with cottage cheese. Low carb, high protein, delicious snack.

For a quick snack, deli meat and cheese wraps. Super quick, depending on the cheese, it's like 4g carbs. Watch the sodium on that deli meat though.

Also try out Dannon Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt. 120 cal, 15g protein, 10g carbs, I don't know how much sugar though. It's really good and they have a good number of flavors.
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Start out slow on the shakes; they can cause a lot of gastro problems
  • AndiJH
    AndiJH Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Better to eat your proteins, IMO. But I do add a little protein powder to my Greek yogurt for a protein boost, and I like Quest bars for protein bars--pricey but more natural than some of the others and lots of fiber (which is important with whey proteins).
    Chicken, lean cuts of pork, turkey are all super lean options you can do just about anything with.
    Also recommend Greek yogurts. Triple Zero and Siggis are my go to.
    I also like part skim string cheese every now and again. My goals are 100+g of protein a day, and it's definitely a struggle to meet that without exceeding my other macros.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    NOW SPORTS Natural Unflavored Whey isolate. Hands down.
  • bonayvinay
    bonayvinay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the comments regarding how to get enough protein in my daily diet. When I look at the end of my day I also see I am not eating enough. I am making a store list from your suggestions. Janet, I am older and you are so right about getting enough calcium and vitamin D. I started taking supplements in my early 40's and am very happy to say I have not had any osteopenia or osteoporosis. Thanks again to everyone.
  • yasmingingerbread
    yasmingingerbread Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    0% or low-fat Greek yogurt. Its super healthy and has only 130-170 calories but 23 grams of protein!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    How about regular food? Meat, dairy, fish?