Can anyone name some vegan recipes for a new vegan

Options
2»

Replies

• amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am not vegan or vegetarian but have made this before and it was tasty! http://minimalistbaker.com/bbq-jackfruit-sandwiches-with-avocado-slaw/

This is an incredible recipe and goes down really well in our house (I'm a vegan the rest are omni's)
    The Minimalist Baker is one of my favourite cookbooks..
  • amyjane_g
    amyjane_g Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    I know many vegan and vegetarians...they are some of the nicest and most caring people on the planet. I hate when people generalize.

I cook vegetarian and vegan frequently...probably a bit less since I started working out...but then I just make a meat protein on the side. I never put meat with vegetables...and rarely with the starch/grain...so it is not a challenge.

Maybe if I change my mind on the use or protein shakes (working for healthcare manufactures, I just don't trust them...), then I could move back to less meat.

Have a look at Huel.. https://huel.com/
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »
    Thai red or green curries
    Gado Gado
    Vegetarian nasi Goreng
    Vegetarian mapo tofu
    Vegetarian hot pot
    Vegetarian chili made with tvp
    Sweet potato red curry soup
    Z'herbes gumbo
    Chana masala
    Dal
    Sarson saag
    Ratatouille
    Soups - hot and sour with tofu, miso, borscht
    Vegan nut loaf

Now this is a foodie right after my own heart.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    vegangela_ wrote: »
    You can eat anything you ate as a meat eater. You just need to learn to substitute eg. Sub mince meat for lentils, chicken for tofu, chia seeds instead of eggs.
    Feel free to add me, my diary is open and I'm a vegan.

I go vegan twice a year, and substitution is pretty easy in most conventional recipes. In addition to those listed above, butter=margarine or coconut oil (or any oil if a solid fat is not needed), milk=some nut or soy milk (I don't like them, but you might), cream=coconut cream, in some recipes meaty mushrooms work well instead of chunk meat, cheese sauce for casseroles and dips= this recipe.

You can take almost any recipe and remove/substitute some items to turn it vegan.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you ate as a meat eater. You just need to learn to substitute eg. Sub mince meat for lentils, chicken for tofu, chia seeds instead of eggs.

I go vegan twice a year, and substitution is pretty easy in most conventional recipes. In addition to those listed above, butter=margarine or coconut oil (or any oil if a solid fat is not needed), milk=some nut or soy milk (I don't like them, but you might), cream=coconut cream, in some recipes meaty mushrooms work well instead of chunk meat, cheese sauce for casseroles and dips= this recipe.

You can take almost any recipe and remove/substitute some items to turn it vegan.

Just curious...why even bother to 'go' vegan when it's done twice only in one year. Why do you do this?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Just curious...why even bother to 'go' vegan when it's done twice only in one year. Why do you do this?

For Christmas and Easter fasts (lent). My family upholds a 48 day animal product fast before each for a total of 96 days a year.