To sync or not to sync

Options
2»

Replies

• alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I didn't like having them sync when I had the fitbit flex. I had to log my workouts separately, and then the fitbit seemed to give me more calories than I thought I should have. Now that I have the fitbit charge I love it. I don't manually add any of my workouts anymore. I use whatever calories the fitbit gives me for exercise on MFP, but I don't pay attention to the calories in vs out on fitbit app.
    I also use the endomondo app and have it linked to both fitbit and MFP. I like endomondo to track my route, pace, distance and total time when I run or walk outside.
    Since I just synced that with the other two earlier this week, I was surprised when I got on the elliptical and noticed the app pop up on my phone to tell me to start logging the time on it.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have mine synced and I like it. I've been losing weight so far, but I don't eat back all the extra calories it gives me, so I have a buffer. To me, it feels natural to have more calories available on active days, and fewer on lazy days, rather then a single amount to eat no matter what. It also helps to motivate me to move more.
  • Melemur
    Melemur Posts: 95 Member
    Options

I have my fitbit synced I like it cause I can see how well I'm doing I try to stick to mfp calorie allowance but it help to know if I go over by 5 or 10 cal it's OK because of what I earned from my fit bit
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I had a one and it sucked. Now I have a charge HR and love it!
  • RiverMelSong
    RiverMelSong Posts: 456 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    .no longer relevant.
  • RiverMelSong
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fifiman wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    My fitbit's synced with MFP and I'm very pleased with it, especially the accuracy of the calories burned (Loads better than MFP). I just log my food in MFP, let fitbit count my steps and subtract.

(For example yesterday I went to the cinema and had some sweets. I felt terrible afterwards because I went over my allotted calories, but when I looked at fitbit I still had a 500 cal deficit for the day. Instantly made me feel loads better :) )

72regsxadjr4.jpg

The two should match actually...

Burned goes over to MFP and food comes to activity tracker through mfp...you should have had and extra 500 in MFP too if you have it set up correctly

Actually...the two should not match.

Sounds like she has a 1000 calorie deficit set on MFP, which means if she overeats her allotted calorie amount by 500 calories, then it will appear as -500 on MFP (e.g. MFP tells her to eat 1400, she eats 1900, and therefore is -500 on MFP). However, on her Fitbit dashboard, it will still indicate (as you can see from the picture) that she is still in a 500 calorie deficit, which she was.

So, she ate 1900 calories and it shows up as -500 on MFP, but her Fitbit shows her that she ended up burning 2400 calories that day - in which case, 2400 - 1900 = 500 calorie deficit.

Even though she is -500 on MFP, she is still in a deficit of 500 calories (1000-500=500). The Fitbit reminded her of this fact and she didn't feel so bad anymore about going over.

Thank you! Exactly this :) You explained it better than I could
  • WinterCrystal
    WinterCrystal Posts: 37 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well I synced and I like it! It counts my steps and adjusts cal so I don't have to. I say to anyone else thinking about syncing do it :smile:
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I sync. I love the weekly fitbit email. It has all my calorie and activity and weight loss info for the week. I'm either doing great or I can tweak accordingly.
    Does anyone else get this?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My fitbit's synced with MFP and I'm very pleased with it, especially the accuracy of the calories burned (Loads better than MFP). I just log my food in MFP, let fitbit count my steps and subtract.

(For example yesterday I went to the cinema and had some sweets. I felt terrible afterwards because I went over my allotted calories, but when I looked at fitbit I still had a 500 cal deficit for the day. Instantly made me feel loads better :) )

72regsxadjr4.jpg

Burned goes over to MFP and food comes to activity tracker through mfp...you should have had and extra 500 in MFP too if you have it set up correctly

Sounds like she has a 1000 calorie deficit set on MFP, which means if she overeats her allotted calorie amount by 500 calories, then it will appear as -500 on MFP (e.g. MFP tells her to eat 1400, she eats 1900, and therefore is -500 on MFP). However, on her Fitbit dashboard, it will still indicate (as you can see from the picture) that she is still in a 500 calorie deficit, which she was.

So, she ate 1900 calories and it shows up as -500 on MFP, but her Fitbit shows her that she ended up burning 2400 calories that day - in which case, 2400 - 1900 = 500 calorie deficit.

Even though she is -500 on MFP, she is still in a deficit of 500 calories (1000-500=500). The Fitbit reminded her of this fact and she didn't feel so bad anymore about going over.

and that should be on MFP as well...not the full 2400 but her "extra" calories burned should be on MFP giving her extra food to eat.

If it's sync'd then the two should match.

If it's not sync'd and the activity isn't being logged in MFP then no they won't match.

I know as I have a fitness tracker sync'd and my extra calories burned from movement comes to MFP and gives me the true picture of my day and it brings my food back to my app on my food and bam same thing (might be 50 calories difference)
  • RiverMelSong
    edited March 2016
    Options

72regsxadjr4.jpg

and that should be on MFP as well...not the full 2400 but her "extra" calories burned should be on MFP giving her extra food to eat.

If it's sync'd then the two should match.

If it's not sync'd and the activity isn't being logged in MFP then no they won't match.

I know as I have a fitness tracker sync'd and my extra calories burned from movement comes to MFP and gives me the true picture of my day and it brings my food back to my app on my food and bam same thing (might be 50 calories difference)

They are synced, believe me, and the calories burned did show up in mfp! But if calories burned and calories eaten in Fitbit would match I would be in maintenance, which is not what I'm aiming for. Let me explain:

In MFP my daily allowance is set to 1400, because mfp has calculated my maintenance calories at 1900 and I want a 500 calorie deficit to lose approx 1lb per week. That day I did a lot more walking, earning me 500 calories extra in mfp. My allowance on mfp went up to 1900, still accounting for a 500 calorie deficit. So I ate around 1900, which showed in mpf as NET 1400 (1900-500 earned = 1400). Leaving no calories for the day, which is exactly what I want. But seeing net calories is less motivating for me than seeing the actual number of calories burned in fitbit (which for maintenance was 1900 + 500 = 2400).
    Which is why I responded to this topic with why I prefer to have the two synced.

I log my food in mfp, and my exercise in fitbit, letting the two talk with each other (aka syncing) to make up my total numbers for the day. If they weren't synced I'd have to log food in fitbit and exercise in mfp separately, which I do not. My devices are synced, and the numbers add up. It's just a personal preference of which I choose to look at (1400 net is less motivating for me than seeing 2400 - 1900).

*edited for typos