Rice

Options
How can people just eat plain rice, I'm trying it but it takes me forever to eat. It's just so dry what do u guys put with it so it goes down quicker

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Depends on how it is cooked. I cooked my rice in the oven with either 1tbs olive oil or butter, and just enough water to not come out too dry. In fact rice cooked in the oven is actually steamed.

What do you have with your rice? I love plain basmati white rice, with chick pea and potato curry, or even sardines with lots of onions, peppers and tomatoes - escovitch style.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing that?

Soy sauce, curry, stir fry?
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    A dash of hot sauce or soy helps take the blandness away.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I normally have curry with it but I can't keep eating curry for lunch
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Just trying to get ideas in other ways in eating it for snacks or lunches
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in eating white rice. Basmati rice can be white, but it's healthier and then I also eat brown rice.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    I don't believe in eating white rice. Basmati rice can be white, but it's healthier and then I also eat brown rice.

Huh? There is no significant nutritional difference between long grain white rice and Basmati or brown rice, other than a couple extra grams of fiber in the brown varieties.

To OP: I typically don't eat rice plain. If I make it as a side dish, it's along with something that can be mixed with it/on top of it (stir fry, stroganoff, with fajitas, etc) Or when I make it I boil it in chicken stock instead of water to give it a bit of flavor and often add a few chopped veggies (carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, herbs) to it as well.

On the rare occasions I just eat plain rice, I usually put soy sauce on it. Though when we were kids, we often sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on it and added just a bit of milk to make it sort of rice pudding-ish.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I eat both white, mostly brown, but it has to be basmati.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I like to boil boneless skinless chicken thighs, shred them, cook rice with a little butter added to the water (olive oil might work), onion, and lots of garlic. Add the chicken with a veggie side and it's a whole meal!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I eat the crap out of Jasmine Rice. I typically make it in my rice cooker and it makes it to perfection but if I need something quicker the boil in a bag tastes almost as good but cooks in a 1/3 the time as my rice cooker. I put lime juice, pepper, a little dash of salt and if I have time some chopped up cilantro if I want to get fancy. Note that I do not cook the rice in the lime juice but I squeeze a good amount on the rice after it is cooked. Makes a big diff to me.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Add it soup.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    If trying to gain weight, why just eat plain rice? Nothing wrong with gravy, beans, various sauces/condiments, etc... to up caloric intake.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    How can people just eat plain rice, I'm trying it but it takes me forever to eat. It's just so dry what do u guys put with it so it goes down quicker
    Lol, raw fish works best for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    We eat rice everyday but not plain. I prepare lot of different varieties of Palavo, or eat with curry, rasam or Sambar. Plain hot rice could be mixed well with ghee (clarified butter), salt and pepper and eaten. So yummy.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, raw fish works best for me.

That would be my #1 option also. Especially sake (salmon). I could eat salmon sushi by the pounds!
  • MamaLlamaThatsMe
    MamaLlamaThatsMe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on an extremely restrictive diet due to interstitial cystitis, and since rice is one of the few things I can tolerate, I eat it all the time. I cannot tolerate mist sauces, but when I enjoy it with my family we add just a little butter and salt. I sometimes also make a one pan chicken broccoli rice dish that uses chicken stock and garlic for extra flavor. I also occasionally have a homemade IC friendly stir fry with any number of vegetables plus garlic, meat, and a makeshift sauce using coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. One of my favorite ways is just with veggies. I buy a steam in bag frozen package with only rice, peas, carrots, and corn, and even without any additives of any kind, I love it. I like to just mix peas in too.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Wild rice in the rice cooker, throw in some broth and seasoning, a can of chickpeas, maybe some corn and let it cook. It's usually the best part of my meals.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used to just eat brown rice plain a lot as a kid, but I don't do that now. The way I I usually eat it now is either underneath a plate of chili, sauteed with olive oil and pepperoni (sometimes with an egg as well), or mixed with broccoli/cheese/milk and baked.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I can't eat rice often due to ibs (my stomach inflates to twice the size :) ), but i particularly enjoy egg fried rice (very easy) and also risotto made with coconut milk (extra calories!) and thai style ingredients - i use jasmine rice for that. Jasmine rice is delicious.