Core exercise for a 228 pound woman with lower back issues

Options
So I just started my journey two weeks ago. For now, I'm only focusing on cutting calories and strength building 3x a week. So far I'm set with exercises for my legs, butt, delts, biceps, back, and triceps. A lot of what I'm doing is taking traditional physical therapy exercises and adding weight to them. In the past I've suffered from injuries from going too hard and too fast, so I'm really taking it slowly this time.

Anyway, I'm having trouble coming up with a really gentle core strengthening routine. I did swim varsity in high school and am still a pretty decent swimmer, so I can do that if I can't come up with anything else (even though the plan now is to focus on lifting and start cardio in two months). But for now, I am wondering if anyone hs any suggestions for very basic core strengthening/stabilizing that I can incorporate into my weight lifting routine.

My abs are so weak that the problem I get with a vast majority of ab/core work is that my lower back kicks in and takes over. That's always been a problem of mine, even when I was thin. Even now, just the act of standing up straight utilizes only my back muscles and doesn't engage my core at all. In fact I have to work on core stability before I can even really commit to core strength.

I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go to a physiotherapist. They can teach you safe core activation exercises and use biofeedback to help you learn.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bah! You're right.

But I'm so broke!
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try 'standing crunches'.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I just had to have my abs surgically repaired thanks to a very large hernia and the physical therapist has started me on breathing exercises as part of my rehab. You might look up diaphragmatic breathing to start with, but if you are anything like me getting a professional to help build your strength up is important. Without adult supervision I tend to hurt myself by overdoing!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Swimming is excellent.
  • luckypony71
    luckypony71 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Simple bicep curls while standing on one leg. Also bridges and hip thrusts will help strengthen those stabilizer muscles. Everything can be made harder as you progress. You make the bicep curls harder by standing on a bosu ball, you make the hip thrusts harder by doing them on one leg or placing your feet up higher on the wall. Maybe even lightweight deadlifts.

I don't know your physical limitations, so these are just suggestions that work for me. I understand about funds being limited, sometimes gyms will give you a free session with a trainer.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Since you don't mind being in the water, you might enjoy deep water aerobics. That type of exercise is almost entirely core, as you have to use those muscles to keep yourself upright and stable.

Regular water aerobics is good as well, but not as intensely core focused.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    have you tried the plank?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    paloff presses and a million variations of band presses, you can get exercise bands cheap on amazon and you just hook them around a pole or something

also leg lifts on the ground, single leg until you get strong enough to do double legs.

there are tons of gentle core exercises while you are working on getting fit. planks are great too.

i was your weight once with lower back issues. once the weight comes off and you keep up with some physical activity, you will feel a million times better.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    @BekahC1980 Yes, actually. Did the plank yesterday because I thought it would be gentle enough, and now have a sore lower back - hence me starting this thread. :)

Specifically, I was doing this routine right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjK5a0wALh0

The moving side to side in plank position was great, and definitely hit the right muscles But staying still in plank was hard on my back.

@luckypony71 yes, I'm already doing glute bridges as part of my glute routine. I also do single leg deadlifts, and sometimes feel that a tiny bit in my core. Which leg do you lift when you do bicep curls? - the opposite leg?
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    @BekahC1980 Yes, actually. Did the plank yesterday because I thought it would be gentle enough, and now have a sore lower back - hence me starting this thread. :)

The moving side to side in plank position was great, and definitely hit the right muscles But staying still in plank was hard on my back.

@luckypony71 yes, I'm already doing glute bridges as part of my glute routine. I also do single leg deadlifts, and sometimes feel that a tiny bit in my core. Which leg do you lift when you do bicep curls? - the opposite leg?

A full on plank is too hard to start. Definatly don't add in any trunk rotation yet, that's very hard on your back. Either modify by planking from your knees or use a sturdy chair or bench to make it easier. You can Google 'dead bug exercises' and start with the easiest exercises, add progressions over time. That might be a good place to start.
  • augustremulous
    Options
    @nicolemarie999 , oh, thanks! I just remembered seeing a physical therapist years ago and she had suggested dead bug exercises. I had forgotten. Thanks!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

No that's an awful tape--for reasons too numerous to mention.

You are looking more for lumbar stabilization, rather than "strong ab muscles" per se. Exercises I have found helpful for both myself (herniated l4) and my clients include: full plank push-ups (use bench, table, etc to decrease the load), wide grip Lat pull down, step ups (keeping torso stable during the move and choosing step height that keeps knee slightly below hip), single - leg squat and reach (not a pistol squat, free leg is behind you), both forward and to the side, straight arm pull down, front raise, bird dog, biceps curl/shoulder press combo.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    the thing about the plank is you have to have your glutes and abs squeezed as hard as you can through the plank so that they are bracing your body and not your back. if you are loose while planking, your back will suffer.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    the thing about the plank is you have to have your glutes and abs squeezed as hard as you can through the plank so that they are bracing your body and not your back. if you are loose while planking, your back will suffer.

This is good above.

Plank is a great core exercise, because there is zero rotation or flexation of the spine. Crunches and sit-ups can cause disc issues if not done correct, but the plank is one of the best because it can be modified to be made easier or harder. Just by holding it longer you can create gains.

Look for different planking variations online if the standard one is causing you back pain. I have a bad lower back myself, and the more exercises I do for my core/back, the better it gets. Even doing other bodyweight exercises, like push-ups, lunges, one-legged Romanian deadlifts, etc., help engage your core and build strength.

Don't just focus on the front, though. Do back exercises, too, and you can do side planks to build the side stabilizer muscles. Even if you start doing 30 seconds or less at a time, just try to add 5 seconds on at a time until you can do 60 seconds or more, then start doing some more difficult variations/exercises.

If you have real structural back issues, though, I'd recommend seeing a professional or physical therapist for advice and structured plans to meet your goals.

Also, the one thing that really helped with my back was stretching! I stretch before and after every workout, every time I run, every time I do anything athletic or that remotely resembles a workout, I stretch before and after. A lot of my back pains and problems stemmed from tight hamstrings/glutes/etc.

Good luck!
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    "The Core Program for Women" by Peggy Brill, PT, is an awesome resource. Extremely gentle and doable with 3 levels of programs. Even one 15 min session helps my back and neck pain. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0553380842/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1458362186&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=the+core+program+peggy+brill&dpPl=1&dpID=51652txAgzL&ref=plSrch
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 207 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This is a great core routine also and I think could really help with the "stabilization" aspect. That makes me think you are talking about stabilizing the pelvis. You may not have issues with a weak pelvic floor but stabilizing the pelvis is also achieved with these exercises and strengthening the pelvic floor is a bonus. Also has multiple levels of workouts with the easiest being very gentle.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0510539610/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1458362778&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=pelvic+floor+dvd&dpPl=1&dpID=41IXchbJTWL&ref=plSrch#productDescription_secondary_view_div_1458362801126
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    McGill 3.

Stu McGill's tested versions, not youtube cowboys.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a Pilates class near you?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've done stretching exercises for years and started an easy yoga course called "yoga flex" last year. It changed my life. Do ask your doctor. I do a 2 min plank as part of my stretching regime 3x a week. I've had good luck with these things plus I swim and do water aerobics.