Chewing gum effects

Options
DKG28
DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
I'm not normally a gum chewer but I'm trying it to see if it helps pass the time and desire to snack between meals. Verdict: gum chewing makes me ravenous! It's like it's sending signals that food is coming, but never getting it is making cravings so much worse. Anyone else find gum chewing makes you hungrier?

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Me too. So weird, isn't it? I don't chew gum unless it's to get rid of nasty coffee-breath.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Same here. I think that's exactly why (the whole chewing but no food hits the stomach). Plus, chewing gum makes my stomach bloat horribly, so I've cut down on it dramatically. It's not nice to me lol
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I'm just the opposite. I pop in a piece of gum after each meal and it's my signal that I'm done eating.
  • Monsterdog1114
    Monsterdog1114 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum makes me hungry ( I always assumed it was from the chewing motion ). But I can suck on hard candy without it causing hunger.

• subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Agree - chewing gum makes my tummy rumble!

I use a strong mint to quell any snack desire.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum produces saliva and stimulates gastric juices. It's possible that your body takes this as a cue that there is food coming in a classical conditioning scenario. I doubt it would have long-term hunger effects especially if you were to get used to it, but if it's making your cravings worse you may want to find a better low-cal option!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I mainly chew mint gum when I am cooking so I don't taste or nibble. It works for me because I am not going to put food in my mouth with the gum and the mint makes me not want to eat. It doesn't make me hungrier to chew gum.
    Maybe you could get a similar effect by brushing your teeth or sucking on a mint.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Mint gum makes my cravings to eat go away. Sweet tasting gum makes me hungry.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I usually suggest gum to people one step before recommending a timed lock for their refrigerator. I didn't know it could make cravings worse. For me it helps by giving the sensation of chewing and sweetness without many calories. I have some nearly everyday and it costs about 15 calories.
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I usually suggest gum to people one step before recommending a timed lock for their refrigerator. I didn't know it could make cravings worse. For me it helps by giving the sensation of chewing and sweetness without many calories. I have some nearly everyday and it costs about 15 calories.

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. Wow.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry and not ready to eat, I'll chew a piece of gum. It'll tide me over (at least mentally, I guess :)) until dinner. And I usually chew the fruitier flavors....no mint.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Same here. I think that's exactly why (the whole chewing but no food hits the stomach). Plus, chewing gum makes my stomach bloat horribly, so I've cut down on it dramatically. It's not nice to me lol

^^^^This! It makes me hungry and I get the worst bloat/gas from it. It's funny because I chewed gum my entire childhood/teenage years without and issue. Now I will just suck on it for a moment or 2 if I don't have any hard candy or mints.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum has never made me hungry. Though I mostly chew gum after eating.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hamelle2 wrote: »

Really? I have never heard of such a thing. Wow.

It's a thing. They exist. http://www.timeout-lock.com/ There are different types. http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-Safe-Locking-Container-White/dp/B00MXEHX10

It's good for those with self control issues. I count myself among them. I have to have virtual locks on my computer to do my work instead hanging out on social media all day.