I'm a picker

I have an ugly habit. I'm a picker. I pick at food all the time. If my mom makes something I'll pick at it. I pick at food in the fridge, leftovers. I pick at my families food and my boyfriends food (I'm the best date lol). It wasn't really a problem until I got this app and I really wanted to change my lifestyle. I can't really accurately log the things that I'm picking at and eating and i feel so guilty about doing it I just don't even attempt to log it. Any advice or anyone have the same problem? Also please feel free to add me, so we can keep each other accountable.

Replies

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Try and move past the guilt, and just log it. You using MFP is for you. I've cringed so many times entering something in the app, but it's MY accountability, and ultimately, whether I record it or not, it still happened.
  • meredithdelcastillo
    meredithdelcastillo Posts: 64 Member
    How can I log that accurately if I'm not eating actual serving sizes?
  • vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    You can guestimate. I'll put in fractions of servings. Or quick add. Ultimately you'll have to will yourself away from picking, but that's part of furthering your health. Until then, guess. Overestimate even, if only to err on the safe side.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,131 Member
    You will have to make your best guess. Just realize that you may be underestimating your calories in if you guess too often. I would log it and try to overestimate the calories. You may find that logging it helps you to stop the habit as it will be a pain to try to log things you aren't measuring and weighing so it could take longer to lose the weight. I used to be really bad about taking bites of food while I was cooking, but I just don't want to mess with logging it so I rarely ever do that anymore.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    I over estimate my bites and tastes. I will put 1/2 a serving or something high in grams. That way if I am wrong I am still in a calorie deficit.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Stop doing that.
  • frankie_xox
    frankie_xox Posts: 46 Member
    Stop doing that.

this is the best idea if you're not able to accurately to log what you're eating. i bet you'd be surprised at how quickly those tastes add up!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    For a while I was good at not picking but I've gotten back in the habit of doing it, ugh. I either log my bites as 50 calories each or weigh it all out. I'm trying very hard to do the latter more than the former because it gets me to stop and think about what I'm putting in my mouth before I actually do it.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    What if you prepared a couple of plates of stuff every day... weighed and logged it... and then just did your picking from there all day? If there's anything left at the end of the day, weigh it and subtract it out?
  • meredithdelcastillo
    What if you prepared a couple of plates of stuff every day... weighed and logged it... and then just did your picking from there all day? If there's anything left at the end of the day, weigh it and subtract it out?
    Wow that's an awesome idea. Very creative. I'll definitely try that, hopefully I'll have enough control to stay out of other people's plates then lol
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Linzon wrote: »
    For a while I was good at not picking but I've gotten back in the habit of doing it, ugh. I either log my bites as 50 calories each or weigh it all out. I'm trying very hard to do the latter more than the former because it gets me to stop and think about what I'm putting in my mouth before I actually do it.

I feel you!! But I'll probably log mine like that too, thanks for the response!
  • meredithdelcastillo
    Thank you everyone for your advice, until I can break my habit I'll just log my picking to my best estimate!!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member

You guess, or you just stop it.

I used to toss 5 cheddar bunnies in every time I gave the kids some, and now I don't because I don't want to log 5 crackers. (serving is 50). It's a habit to pick at food outside of meals so it's more than possible to practice self control and manage to stop for good.
  • meredithdelcastillo
    brb_2013 wrote: »

You guess, or you just stop it.

I used to toss 5 cheddar bunnies in every time I gave the kids some, and now I don't because I don't want to log 5 crackers. (serving is 50). It's a habit to pick at food outside of meals so it's more than possible to practice self control and manage to stop for good.

I know what you mean. Yeah I'm definitely gonna work on it. They say it takes 21 days to break a habit so I think I'll get better at it. Thanks for the response!