Do you trust your Fitbit?

Options
2»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a couple dif trackers (won one) and one is a fitbit...I never use it...I was shovelling snow for 45mins...gave me 6 active mins..psh.

Now my other one I did test and when it said I should have lost 1/2lb a week I did....consistently.
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for every person and there's some trial and error involved in seeing how well it works for you. I've found the burn it gives me to be really accurate. The math has been adding up almost exactly when I eat back 75-100% of my fitbit calories. It adds about a 1000 for me each day.

I'm currently 245 pounds and 6'4''. I'm a 32 YO male and I walk about five miles a day (12,00-15,000 steps)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    The calories shown on my Charge HR seems pretty accurate for me. I've verified the step count several times and it's spot on. I've never synced mine with MFP since I don't log food here so not sure what it would show there.

It does seem to get comically confused re: the number of stairs when I hike up a mountain.

The number of active minutes rarely shows anything on mine. I don't really care about that so I've never called tech support about it.
  • watcher1600
    watcher1600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I threw my fitbit chargehr in the trash it was so inaccurate in mt step counts, it was off by 5000 steps a day from my previous pedometer Polar loop. It said I climbed 57 flights of stairs when I only walked 2 miles on a windy day save your money.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't sync up my fitbit with MFP because the calorie burn it comes up with is never accurate (at least for me).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    veliia wrote: »
    I've only walked 356 steps today , according to mine wrist band i've burned 868 calories. There's no way that's possible. However once I connect it to my app it tells me my active calories are 7 which sounds more reasonable.....i have a different brand tho.

@veliia - That calorie burn includes your BMR. So it's BMR (from midnight to time you looked at it) + steps = 868 cal
  • forruths
    forruths Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR since last summer and it has been pretty accurate. It's linked to MFP and I eat at least half my exercise calories back and I've been losing consistently. I love it.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    There might be a setting mix up in there somewhere. I'm new to the fitbit realm as I just got a Blaze but even on my heavy burn days (10 mile + run with yoga in the evening) I don't seen adjustments much above the 500 mark. I've seen a few other people complain about fitbit making outrageous adjustments but I haven't heard of a specific issue causing it.
    @Azercord
    What's your activity level set to on MFP?

Large adjustments typically mean someone has their activity level set to low.
    Mine is set to lightly active and my adjustments start getting close to 1000 when I'm in the 18k - 22k step range.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I've only walked 356 steps today , according to mine wrist band i've burned 868 calories. There's no way that's possible. However once I connect it to my app it tells me my active calories are 7 which sounds more reasonable.....i have a different brand tho.

As another poster said, it is giving you the total calories burned for the day. You burn calories being alive, and that is what it is telling you.

I have had a fit bit for 3 years. First a One, then the Force, now the Charge HR. I love having a fit bit. It is the best motivator to get me moving more. I struggled at first to get 10,000 steps, thought it was impossible. Now I get over 20,000 daily. I rarely pay attention to calories burned, seldom eat back calories, find it counter productive for me. I like the HR feature. When I got the Charge HR, my resting heart rate was about 68, now it is between 47-49. I am an old lady (64). Was morbidly obese 4 years ago. Borderline high blood pressure. Out of breath walking up a flight of stairs. Now, normal weight, normal blood pressure, and moving over 20,000 steps/day, all through diet and exercise. I will have a fit bit the rest of my life, it gets me moving, and that is all good for me. The accuracy or inaccuracy is moot point, it makes me move more. Maybe not for everyone, but a perfect tool for me.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I just started to use my blaze, but my previous Fitbit trackers (flex and surge) were extremely accurate, as long as I logged my non step exercises separately. The NEAT calories tended to be spot on, in that I consistently gained or lost within 10% or so of what was predicted based on my calorie balance.
  • mrsloganlife
    mrsloganlife Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    To answer your original question...I would not be where I am today without my Fitbit. I trust it. I think the heart rate is wonky, but I trust the step counts.

I was getting crazy high floor counts (like 200+), and realized that I needed to tighten my strap..it was sliding all over my arm which also affected my step count.

Everyone has a favorite tracker--I have gone from Fitbit to Garmin Vevo to Microsoft Band and right back to Fitbit. Overall I think Fitbit is not only more accurate for me, but it motivates me more on my weight loss journey.
  • YaGirlMaddi
    YaGirlMaddi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have found mine to be pretty helpful. Steps are accurate and HR monitor seems to be accurate most of the time. I don't know if MFP calorie adjustment is accurate, however.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've had my Charge HR since July. At this point, I eat back 75 to 100% of my adjustments, mostly 100%. It's accurate for me and I haven't had issues with overinflated calories or anything. Fitbits aren't close to perfect, but I question some of the responses in this thread because it seems like they believe that the calories they see on the Fitbit are solely from walking/exercise when they're actually a complete picture including your BMR. That's not the fault of the technology, it's the fault of the user. If your Fitbit says you've burned 2035 calories for the day, if you're eating at maintenance you'd eat 2035 calories; not 2035 on top of your calorie allowance.

I've heard other people say they set themselves an inch lower than their actual height to gain more accuracy. The only thing I do now is set it as being on my dominant hand when it's not but only because I like making things harder on myself.
  • LauriePar
    LauriePar Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I figured that just going through a regular day is about 4500-5000 steps. I figure my exercise calories come after that.
  • emilayayay
    emilayayay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had a fit bit for 2 weeks. I then realized after a week and a half that the steps it's tracking aren't actually how many steps I am taking, it's tracking my arm movement! I realized that and wanted to take it back to the store right away! What a rip off! and it would calculate everything wrong and I hated it so I stopped using it.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options

Those would be your calories burnt by just being alive -- no exercise required to burn those calories.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Yes, I trust my Fitbit Charge HR. I've had it for almost nine months and have lost 29 pounds in that time. I've found it to be quite accurate. If anything it slightly under-estimates TDEE. However, I do not sync it with MFP. For anyone doubting their Fitbit's accuracy I would suggest making sure you're wearing it properly, making sure your settings are correct and making sure you understand the calories it gives you (i.e., the difference between TDEE and the calories burned for a particular activity). Some posts on this thread indicate that people don't understand the data being provided by Fitbit.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a Fitbit or similar; researching, but I do wonder about the accuracy and if they're really worth it. They all seem to get somewhat mixed reviews.