need advice!

Options
on how to work on my portion sizes.

please help! :smile:

Replies

• Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    In what way? If you think you're eating too much, buy some measuring cups and a small food scale.
  • lizpfennig
    lizpfennig Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree that measuring cups/spoons and a small kitchen scale is really the most accurate way but here is a little info that I use as well. Not 100% accurate but it helps:

A good guideline to help you understand portion sizes is to translate the abstract information represented by the serving size into something visual that's easily remembered. So instead of trying to memorize lists of ounces, cups, and tablespoons, simply compare the serving sizes of particular foods to familiar physical objects. For example, a single serving of:

Vegetables or fruit is about the size of your fist.
    Pasta is about the size of one scoop of ice cream.
    Meat, fish, or poultry is the size of a deck of cards or the size of your palm (minus the fingers).
    Snacks such as pretzels and chips is about the size of a cupped handful.
    Apple is the size of a baseball.
    Potato is the size of a computer mouse.
    Bagel is the size of a hockey puck.
    Pancake is the size of a compact disc.
    Steamed rice is the size of a cupcake wrapper.
    Cheese is the size of a pair of dice or the size of your whole thumb (from the tip to the base).

Good luck!!!
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    use a smaller plate...
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i just got smaller plates! weird how well it works being so simple haha
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    as for meat I only eat the size of a deck of cards and I measure out the other ith a measuring cup:)
  • bperez45
    bperez45 Posts: 16
    Options
    You can always use the food data bases and take the portions to calorie rate as a guidline. Another tool is looking at people with similar weight, age and goals to see how they are managing their diet. We are all different and lose weight differently. All of these recommendations are simply tools to add to your fitness box. In P90X and Insanity they recommend around 400 calories per meal. Those meals are also very specific. 400 calories can go a long way when used properly while the same 400 calories can be wasted in junk food that will not fill you up.

I hope this helps.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    I bought a little scale at bed bath and beyond :) it was like 10 bucks and super easy to use! its a bit tedious but hey it works!! I also measure out all my snacks at the beginning of the week.
  • dawnbrisset
    dawnbrisset Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat from small bowls, plates and cups. It helps when my plate is full. :)
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is to pre-measure or weigh my foods and snacks.
    Example
    When I buy bulk bonless, skinless chicken breasts, I get out my scale and weigh out 4 oz. and put in a snack bag. When I have it all weighed I then store it in a large freezer bag. So now when I want to make a salad or just a chicken breast I grab one out and know what I am eating. I also do this with fruits and veggies, almonds, pretzels etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Kim :)
  • supernovadark
    Options
    I agree with smaller plates, bowls, and cups. Just like seeing a meal in Bon Apetit can make you hungry, seeing a full plate can help you think you're eating more than you actually are.
  • supernovadark
    Options
    What works best for me is to pre-measure or weigh my foods and snacks.
    Example
    When I buy bulk bonless, skinless chicken breasts, I get out my scale and weigh out 4 oz. and put in a snack bag. When I have it all weighed I then store it in a large freezer bag. So now when I want to make a salad or just a chicken breast I grab one out and know what I am eating. I also do this with fruits and veggies, almonds, pretzels etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Kim :)

This is THE best idea ever. I usually buy bulk and break it up into meal-sized portions (enough to feed the crew for dinner). I REALLY like your idea, though. I think I'm going to invest in a scale!
  • HunnieM
    HunnieM Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks for your help guys! I appreciate it! :)
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Buy small, tall, blue bowls.
    Why?
    Smaller bowls make the food appear large in comparison.
    Tall bowls give the illusion that there is more food than there is.
    The color blue suppresses appetite.