New to all this but 2000 cals a day seems loads??

Options
Hi! Im new to this :-) Been dieting for years and finally lost 3.5 stone through weight watchers 15 years ago!! Kept it off (apart from when I had kids but lost it phew) but now a stone has gradually crept on.......Cant get into Weight watchers so thought Id give this a go but feel that 2000 is loadsa cals! Any thoughts would be appreciated! thank you!

Replies

• mxmandani
    mxmandani Posts: 109
    Options
    I don't know, but I am curious to know what a stone is.....
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I believe it is equal to 14 pounds
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I'd just go with it. If you are quite heavy, your body uses more calories than the average person. MFP factors that in, then gives you 2000 to lose 2 lbs a week or so. (switch "2" with whatever your weight loss per week goal is.)
  • litbe01
    litbe01 Posts: 4
    Options
    oops sorry! We use stone and pounds in the UK!! :-) A stone is 14 pounds...........Thanks for your reply though!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800-2100 calories a day, and I've been consistently losing about two pounds a week. Of course, the calories you need to eat to lose depend largely on your goal weight, age and activity level.
  • bonnymom
    bonnymom Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi! Im new to this :-) Been dieting for years and finally lost 3.5 stone through weight watchers 15 years ago!! Kept it off (apart from when I had kids but lost it phew) but now a stone has gradually crept on.......Cant get into Weight watchers so thought Id give this a go but feel that 2000 is loadsa cals! Any thoughts would be appreciated! thank you!

What is your activity level set at? Does it match the amount of activity you have during the day?
  • litbe01
    Options
    Thats the thing I am not that heavy so I found it weird.
  • litbe01
    Options
    Yes I do 5-6 classes a week, all cardio....the 2000 cals doesnt take into account the activity either...but being female I think eating 3000 cals is a lot! I know theres not too much to lose but the last 14 pounds is getting harder and harder. Thanks for listening though. I think this site is amazing! And the weight loss stories are great too :-)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Try doing a sample day of what you normally eat and see what it comes out to. Then start dropping it some each week. Not to go below 1200 per day. ONce you get to maintenance, you start adding back the calories til you stop losing and then maintain at that level.

Another thing to look at is the activity level you used when you set up your profile.....

Best of luck!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Could there possibly be an error? I would try setting up your goals again.
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    2000 is fine. If you're not trying to lose it fast. Mine's set to lose 1/2 lb with no activity. gave me 1960. If you put yourself as active, it took that into account.