Gum - do you log it?

Options
bellaa_x0
bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
Curious to see what others do. I personally don't count it - why count it when I don't ingest it?

Replies

• DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I do. I don't think it's going to really make a difference, but there are some gums that are 15cals or so, and if you have 3-4 sticks of gum a day, then it's about 60cals, which could've been a better snack later in the day. Also if I don't log EVERYTHING, then I'll forget to log other things.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I log it. It can be seen as pointless, but it's still me eating "sugar" (swallowing the sweetener infused in my saliva). If you chew more than 2-3 pieces (about 8-10 calories) or your gum has more calories, I'd say log it. Personal preference though.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I don't log sugar free gum (my brand of choice is 2 calories per piece) but if I snag some bubble gum I do log it, it can be surprising how much sugar can be in it and it definitely adds up.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do, but I chew a ridiculous amount of gym a day.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Not usually. I also don't chew a lot of gum and when I do it is sugar free. If I were to chew gum with sugar, I would absolutely log it.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I log every piece.
  • WifiresGettingFit
    WifiresGettingFit Posts: 1,773 Member
    Options
    I like to be as accurate as possible so I log everything - not to mention for me it usually isn't one or two pieces. It's usually anywhere from 5 to the whole pack but I've gotten away from chewing gum and just have a mint here and there and sometimes it's 5 back to back and if it's the 5 calorie ones, right there is 25 calories just in mints. May not seem like much in the long run but when you have a small deficit - it can start to add up.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I chew a lot of gum when I train so I need to log it. I mean it's like 70 calories worth. Once in awhile I'll give myself a day without logging it. I started realizing I needed to log it when I got lean at one point and just wasn't losing on my 250 cal deficit and chewing a pack of gum worth 70 calories lol.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Nope. But my gum is 5 cals a stick, and a 15 pack lasts me 2 weeks.
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The calories aren't in the part you throw out. If a stick of gum is labeled as 15 calories, you are taking in those 15 calories if you chew it until the flavour is gone. You can choose not to log it because it's such a small amount, but you are taking in those calories.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Yep, I count everything.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've never logged gum, mints, tootsie rolls, little tiny candies like that. I've lost 95 lbs.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    No, absolutely not. Of course the last piece of gum I had was in 1996.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If I remember, I'll log things like mints, gum, cough drops, if not I'm not going to stress over it.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Never I don't worry about the odd calorie no one gained weight from chewing gum. Cake yes gum no.
  • mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't but I don't chew gum often once a day at the max. But also I don't eat back work out calories because I usually save them for weekends and small things like this. This way if I'm not super accurate on the logging (example: plus or minus 100 cals not a whole pizza) then I have some space to work in.