4 Minute Attention Span

Options
My challenge yesterday was to walk a mile on a new treadmill. I got on, confidant that I could do it. 4 minutes into it, I began to think about getting off, moving on, doing anything but this. I was so completely bored that I pushed myself harder, just to finish the mile faster. While this may not seem like a very big problem (I mean, I could always walk outside for a change of scenery) this fast onset of boredom is applicable to a lot of areas of my life. It's why I've fallen off the wagon so many times before.

Even now, I'm 3 lessons into my 5 lesson Tennis program and am ready to be done. The thought of going to class makes me sigh and grumble and complain. I go only because I paid for them and I'm determined to get my money's worth.

What suggestions do you have for keeping interested and motivated in having a healthier lifestyle?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    When I'm on the elliptical, I put in my earbuds and turn on my MP3 loaded with all of my favorite upbeat songs. I tell myself to close my eyes and enjoy the music and that I can't open my eyes and look at the time elapsed until 10 songs are over. You would be surprised on how quickly 30 minutes flew by!
  • KassiV
    KassiV Posts: 28
    Options
    I like to watch a movie or TV show while I'm on my treadmill. I usually turn the subtitles on so I can at least read the dialogue, since the treadmill is too loud for me to actually hear what I'm watching. Plus I watch something I've already seen so I can follow the story easier.
  • katijjane
    katijjane Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i am exactly like this its so annoying! sadly can't help you though since i can't sort it out myself haha
  • shannonashleys
    Options
    Maybe if you put the treadmill in a room with a tv, or prop a laptop (if you have one) on the top of the treadmill so you have something to do while working out. I dread working out because I get so bored as well, but I have learned to find things that keep my mind off of the task at hand, and before I know it my allotted workout time is completed (you may even find yourself losing track of time!). Oh if you watch tv though, try and record the shows first because the boredom of commercials is almost insurmountable! Good luck!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    What I do is . . . . .oh look at that butterfly! what was i saying? hehe
  • Galevia
    Galevia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can relate to what you just said.

For exercise, I find activities that I enjoy and realistically incorporate them into my daily routine (ie-cycling to work which is great, I am loving the fresh air and all the freedom that goes with it). Also when I had my membership at the YMCA, I tried tons of classes until I found ones that I enjoyed with good music and instructors that were not in my face ! This took a while...tried and quit many of them but finally I found I enjoyed toning and aeroboxe the most. Now I do the Bob Harper DVD series at home. All I needed was dumbells and a matt, I put on my music and just do it when I can. It's like dating...just keep on trying different activities until you find the right one for you ;-)
  • jcvandd
    jcvandd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Child, you live in one of the most scenic areas in the world. You'd be amazed at how much calories hiking, biking or kayaking burns. A three or four mile hike up Hyalite Canyon will burn over a 1,000 calories. Use your day hike book and set yourself a goal of a different hike every week.

Back when I was little, there was a fitness show on TV called Jack LaLane. He was a little old man that used things around the house to exercise. As he got older, he tried to use major stunts (like swimming San Fransisco Bay wrapped in chains @ 75 years old) to promote fitness. A reporter once asked how he developed such a love for working out and his response was..."I hate every minute of it but its a necessary evil if you are going to be able to enjoy life."

One of his favorite quotes was.."Your health account is like your bank account: The more you put in, the more you can take out." He died at 97 and was doing his daily routine right up to the day he died. Think of your routines as an investment in your future...every minute on the treadmill, exercise bike or trail is money in the bank!
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    While I'm on my elliptical, I Netflix a TV show or movie for entertainment. Time flies by!