Am I likely to lose a lot of muscle..

Options
My tdee is 3000 calories (I workout a lot) and I consume 1900-2000 calories a day. I know that means I have 1000 calories left over. It's recommended to eat around 20% under tdee to you don't few too hungry and don't lose a lot of muscle but I'm more than content eating this much. Definitely doesn't feel too little! Am I likely to lose a lot more muscle as my deficit is higher, even though I lift 3x a week and hit my protein macros?

Replies

• halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have 9 vanity pounds to lose. My bmi is 22
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yes I'd say you'll lose lbm. With 9lb to goal you should be aiming for only 0.25-0.5lb loss pw. I know it's tempting to get it done but presumably it's 9lb of 'fat' you want to lose. So slow is the way to go. Even though you say you feel good on that deficit doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sorry OP!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Yes I'd say you'll lose lbm. With 9lb to goal you should be aiming for only 0.25-0.5lb loss pw. I know it's tempting to get it done but presumably it's 9lb of 'fat' you want to lose. So slow is the way to go. Even though you say you feel good on that deficit doesn't mean it's a good idea. Sorry OP!

Second this. ^^^^^^
    A 2lbs a week loss is suitable if you have over 75 lbs to lose.

You have little fat on your body now and you cal only burn a limited amount of calories of fat a day (the general consensus is 31 per lbs of body fat), the rest is LBM - muscles, organs, bones.
    Your skin, nails, hair will suffer too.

Dropping to .5lbs a week and starting a structured heavy lifting programme will give you better results long term.
  • itskazzsjourney
    itskazzsjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agreed with previous posters....you would only want a small deficit...if after a period of time on a small deficit if you dont lose lower it (at a slow rate)