What do I do after I splurge?

Options
What do you guys do if you end up eating more then you should have 1 day? Eat less then required calories the next day? Or workout extra hard? Any tips would be great! I almost cried when I had to log my food for today

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it, log it and get up the next day per normal. Feeling guilty about it will do nothing for you. You're a human being. Human beings are not perfect. Realize that you have gotten as far as you have and one day is not going to be the end of it all.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I log it and use the extra energy to have an extra great workout the next day. Other then that I won't reduce my calories the next day to compensate.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Just make the next right choice. Don't give up. Don't do something crazy to "make up for it". Just go on and make a better choice for the next meal/day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I log everything before I eat it so that there aren't any surprises like that. Some people pre-log the whole day but I just pre-log before every meal so that I can see how the macros and calories look and make different choices if I need to do so before it's been eaten.

If I were you, I'd just chalk it up as a learning experience and keep going from there.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I enjoy it, log it and get up the next day per normal. Feeling guilty about it will do nothing for you. You're a human being. Human beings are not perfect. Realize that you have gotten as far as you have and one day is not going to be the end of it all.

Exactly this.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    What do you guys do if you end up eating more then you should have 1 day? Eat less then required calories the next day? Or workout extra hard? Any tips would be great! I almost cried when I had to log my food for today

If I can, I do both.
    Eat hard, live hard.

Let yourself feel guilty and disappointed (the healthy way) so you will less likely repeat. Problem is we don't feel "guilty" enough and thus repeat it.

You are what you tolerate.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Mainly, I log it as accurately as I can (for accountability), and go back to my healthy routine.

If I have a special occasion coming up, I'll sometimes "bank" some calories beforehand - eat 100 or so fewer per day for a few days. I don't make big cuts because that tends to create conditions for going off plan. I also sometimes work in some extra calorie-burning activity, especially on or close to the day I plan to eat more.

I rarely compensate after the fact for unplanned over-goal eating; I just go back to my deficit, and lose any gain. It's like a fun science-fair project: I just do quick arithmetic in my head to estimate how long it will take to re-lose the extra calories, and set about doing it. There's no point in feeling stress or guilt.

If we stay on our healthy routine most of the time, we'll do fine. A rare or occasionally over-goal day is not a derailment. The majority of our days determine the majority of our progress.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Water. Lots of water. Sometimes ill use it to my advantage and try and go for a fun run or weight lift harder. But I usually start over the next day and forget about the day before.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sacrifice a goat.

What?

It's about as useful as feeling guilty.

What is actually useful is making an effort not to do it again.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I try to eat less the next day. Or move more. But eating less is far easier than exercising more.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Move on
    Stick to target the next day
  • itskazzsjourney
    itskazzsjourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Simply get back on track for your next meal. Dont restrict cos it can lead to a restrict/binge cycle.
  • sarahmania
    sarahmania Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Had a massive Chinese takeaway last night. Enjoyed every mouthful but it's tempting to severely cut back today. The truth is I probably won't eat as much today just because I'm still full. That's how naturally slim people manage their diet I guess, so in a way I'm chalking it up as a learning experience.
    A bit of a blow out is fine every now and then especially if you really enjoy savouring the moment but can move on and get right back on plan guilt free.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options

How much are we talking about here? A couple of hundred calories over? A couple of thousand? I wouldn't try and crash diet to make up for it, you'll likely just push yourself into overeating again. If you find it gives you more energy, then go and do another workout. But don't feel you have to if you've already done what you usually do in a week. The world is full of overeaters who exercise to try and compensate. You haven't done wrong here, just get back on track and those extra calories will soon be burnt off just through what you usually do.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I can make up for it by eating a bit less and/or working out a bit more over the course of the rest of the week. Sometimes I just let it go and return to my regularly scheduled calorie deficit. A lot of it depends on what my emotional/physical strength looks like at the time.