I don't want to be fat and 50

Options
stokes693
stokes693 Posts: 2 Member
I am a menopausal woman a year off 50. I said I did not want to be fat and 30 then fat and 40. I am now almost 50 and I have had a complete mind set change to eating and exercise. I am eating organic vegetables and fruits, kicked the dairy products and feel amazing for it. I walk the dogs for half an hour everyday and bike ride with them at weekends. I spend 30 mins 5 times a week doing low impact aerobics and light weights and Yoga once a week. I have been at it for two weeks and have lost 6lb. My Fitness Pal is my friend.

Replies

• tkahline
    tkahline Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Seems that you found what works for you. I am also menopausal (54) and work nights (a double-whammy). Gained 40 pounds in the past 3 years, but now finally able to start losing weight. I eat no sugar, dairy, or wheat and I lift weights and do HIIT.

Keep up the good work!
  • stokes693
    stokes693 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding, its nice to know I am not alone. I have been asleep for far to long and I have finally woken up. The menopause has been a real bummer for me, 4 years into it and Im hoping this healthy eating and exercise will bring me back to earth. Good luck with your journey. Whats HIIT?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    50 was a watershed for me too - the thought was "if not now, when?".
    Really enjoying my second childhood!

I eat sugar, dairy and all the things I like but you need to find the path that suits you.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stokes693 wrote: »
    Whats HIIT?

High intensity interval training. It's cardio training where you warm-up, then alternate periods of all-out intensity with periods of lower intensity, and it's a short effective workout, that should be done not more than 2 or 3 times a week.

I've been in surgical menopause for a long time. You're doing great!

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    47 about to be 48.. Lost 50 pounds of fat and added about 10 pounds of muscle. I am going to be leaner and in better shape at 50 than I have been my entire life!!
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Good job getting it all together! I have found MFP to be an eye opening experience. It is easy to say "I don't eat that much" or "I get plenty of exercise" but when you start logging it you see what is truly going on. I'm glad you found this site and that it is working for you :smile:
  • wtbstuffs
    wtbstuffs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just getting started. Over 50 and it's kicking my butt! ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Well unless you die, your guaranteed to turn 50. You're also guaranteed not to lose weight if you eat as much or more than you burn. So you can't control turning 50, but you can control how much you consume.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    do eeeeeeet! I know you can!!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Better to do it at 50 than wait until 60 like me (started st 59). Age gives us the maturity and experience to tackle challenges successfully!
  • hrhleg
    hrhleg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I really need to get my pic right side up. (That pic was 229 lbs. I am now 204.2...and getting smaller. :) )
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    A year ago, I turned 48. I had gained weight over the previous few years and figured that since I was most definitely perimenopausal, complete with all sorts of nasty symptoms, I was stuck being "dumpy".

But I didn't want to be dumpy. I wanted to be back to what I was in my 30s!

Nevertheless, I couldn't believe I could really lose weight.

So I signed on here, and stuck to my diet like glue in an effort to prove to myself that I could not lose weight and that I would just have to resign myself to being dumpy.

For 10 days I was right, and then I started losing weight. I stuck to my diet, and lost 25 kg in 8 months.

I'm still a year away from 50 and now I need to maintain ... and build muscle.
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'll be 46 at the end of this year and and now I want that back. I've 85lbs to lose to get back to a healthy weight I have to lose 28lbs before being considered for an operation in June. I've lost over 20lbs in the last 6 months, put a bit on over Christmas and am now back on track.
    I'm going to do it this time, I've started getting more active, making sure I get a walk every day and a big walk at the weekend. I know this will increase the more weight I lose, and I believe I'll get back to running at some point.

I can do this .... and so can you.

I love all these success stories on here, they are a real inspiration and everyone is so supportive too.

Lets all be Fabulous in our 50s and beyond!
  • hrhleg
    hrhleg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Katcatters, Fabulous at 50!!!! That's the title of your NEW blog :) I have been fabulous all of my life. Can't help it, I was born this way. I am truly fabulous and 1 of a kind...thank G-d there is only one of me. lol My weight...let's just say that people are shallow and mean.

I am down 24lbs! Only 60lbs more to go. :)

We can, I can and we will do this! :)
  • mr_canoe_head
    mr_canoe_head Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I will turn 50 later this year. At the beginning of last year, I was obese. I signed up on MyFitnessPal, tracked my calories rigorously, started exercising more consistently, and lost 100 pounds (45kg) over the course of the year.

I did not try any special diet or combination of macros: I just concentrated on calories in/calories out, and finding foods and exercises that I enjoy and fit in these caloric parameters. After a few weeks and months my lifestyle change became routine and I quite comfortably continued to lose weight without starving myself.

For anyone looking to lose weight and get in shape, especially for more mature individuals such as ourselves, I would strongly suggest you consult a good qualified medical professional, i.e., your doctor. Have regular checkups to see if there is anything you have to watch out for or correct. In my case, the doctor noted that I had a larger vitamin D deficiency, for which I am now taking a supplement, as well as a slight B12 deficiency, which I am trying to correct by eating more dairy products and lean poultry. 50 is the age which you should also consult your doctor about other screening or preventative measures.

Good luck everyone!