mothers with young children - anyone out there?

Options
Just wondering whether anyone out there might be in a similar boat to me - I have 3 young children, ranging in age from 21mths to nearly 5 (so none at school yet). I am a SAHM but also self-employed (writer) ... my husband works odd/ late hours and is away a lot ... so time for myself is scarce. I pretty much manage to exercise every day, but it's not easy! Anyone else? I could do with some motivation sometimes to resist the siren song of the wine and the couch and to get into my gear and work out after I've put all three of them to bed ..and then there's the fact that baking with them can prove sorely tempting ....

Replies

• katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm in a somewhat similar situation! My son is 3 1/2 and another is on the way, so not as hectic as it will be come November! My husband works loooong hours. I feel the same way when we get home after a day of running errands and my sons activities, I just want to veg in front of the tv on the couch!

Since I've started using MFP, I have been eating much healthier and working out, which I thought would give me more energy, but I swear this 2nd trimester is exhausting me, I have been craving naps the past couple of weeks!!
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have 4, ages 3,4,6,7. It is tough, I have 2 in school, but 2 at home....I am always on the go. I do ChaLean Extreme at home along with running at 6am with some girlfriends....it's tough, but can be done! Friend me if you'd like.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Hi there - we have three kids too. Mine are a little older than yours - 4 to 9 yrs. I have found the best time to workout for me is at 5:30 am - wine, the couch and the kids to not often interfere with that time of day. Friend me if you would like.
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. I am a teacher so I am a stay at home mom in the summer. I have found that the only sure fire way to get in exercise is to do it before my husband leaves for work. So, I am up at 5 during the school year and 6 in the summer! Also, I am a way better mom when I get in my exerciise! My husband works long hours, too. Sometimes It feel that there is no time for me and that is why I have come to love exercising,,,it is the only me time I get!

Good luck on your journey! You're certainly not alone....
  • jenniferkae
    jenniferkae Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children 6, 3, and 15 mo. My husband works at 6a so I force myself to get up then and exercise. I dread it but feel so much better afterwards. It is nice to know that when I get home from work, I can focus on other things besides exercise. Once you get in the habit of it, it gets easier!
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Now that my 7 year old son is on summer vacation, I feel your pain sister lol. It hasn't always been easy. Trying to do exercise late in the day is a joke for me. I find it is easy to get it out of the way in the morning. I love to do Zumba on the WII for 45-60 minutes. It is fast and fun and I do it right after I make my son breakfast. I let him watch TV or play while I do it. He dances joking around to sometimes then goes right back to what he is doing. If you do not have any dvd's or a game console check on your TV. I know ATT has an on demand channel with exercise and you can do that anytime and pick from different exercises.
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 month old and boy does she get in the way when im working out! She crawls between my legs sits on my chest and jumps around running like crazy :/ but I manage to get it done even though the temptation to say screw it! Is strong sometimes :) welcome to mfp..we're her to keep ya goingg!
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My boys are 3 and 18 months!!! Its hard to find time to get in a workout. I usually do it when my younger one is sleeping. My 3 yr old likes to play Micheal Jackson Exp. so we put that in and I get an hour workout. I try to take walks after dinner with the youngest. Its hard but I'm losing weight for them (so I'm around for them) so I make it work!!! You can do it!!
  • yogamom16
    yogamom16 Posts: 114
    Options
    Hello! I am a mom with 3 semi-young children. My oldest is 13 and youngest is 8 months so there is a big age range in my house. lol My husband works a lot and travels a lot for work so I am on my own most of the time. I usually wait for nap time to work out and every evening all of us go for a 2-3 mile walk through my neighborhood. Its hard but Im doing it!
  • flyinmomof3
    flyinmomof3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! I have 3 and oh my goodness! My youngest is 3 now, which is nice, except for the fact that he didn't have his terrible two but opted for the terrible 3's...LOL

Anyways, my husband is gone all of the time (military) and I am a full time student, so I am very busy. I signed the kids and I up to a gym that has a great childcare facility. It's like a McDonalds playland but better, so they love it there! I contribute most of my weightloss success to having a great gym. I also make sure I cook all of my meals, except for once in a while, and leave the baking to only a few times a month, at most. The kids love helping with cooking as much as they do baking!

I also get my kids into fitness, so that they understand the importance. They think of there going to the gym as working out too. My oldest can't wait to go to the "real" part of the gym, but sadly he has a ways to go for that. I'd love to add you as a friend as us mom's can use all the resources available!
  • ch178
    ch178 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm a sahm to a 3 year old and a 20 month old. My husband works 12 hour days and sometimes night shift so everything is up to me most of the time. I try to work out everyday as well, it's not easy to find the time but I somehow manage. I do alot of cooking and baking as well. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I stay home also, I hVe a 21month old boy and 7yr old girl. I breastfeed a lot stil
    My husband works 13 hr shifts sat-wed plus hes a gym rat
    I workout at night when kids are calmer and less needy.
    My kids like to do dvds with me so thats cool.
    I would like to bake but that wont end up good so I leave that for very special ocasions.

Sometimes im drained but I convince myself to workout, I have fitness magazines everywhere for motivation.
    Good luck!