Doctor says Cholesterol is too high-310, Yikes !

Options
I just received news that my Cho number went from 276 to 310 in 3 months. I need to bring this number dowm. MFP is a great app to watch daily intake of cholesterol and calories. I'd love to lose 10 lbs, I'm optimistic, open to all suggestions.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Do you know your HDL, LDL, types of LDL or triglycerides? Total cholesterol isn't that useful of a test (IMO), you could have great high HDL, the larger fluffy LDL at normal levels, and low triglycerides that is not reflected by that test.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    But food cholesterol has very little impact on blood cholesterol.
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Do you know your HDL, LDL, types of LDL or triglycerides? Total cholesterol isn't that useful of a test (IMO), you could have great high HDL, the larger fluffy LDL at normal levels, and low triglycerides that is not reflected by that test.

Yeah that's me, doctor freaked out because my LDL was too high, but so is my HDL, so my ratio is good and my trigs are great.

OP what you can do is eat more oats and nuts (good fats), and exercise regularly. I know that my doctor told me to eat fat free everything (except nuts) but my numbers improved when I actually stopped doing that, so let's say I don't quite trust her on nutrition advice anymore.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I was also told to stop eating cheese because it has too much fat, and that was causing issues. Bull honkey

Here is what worked for me:
    lost weight
    added muscle
    periods of fasting

...though it's hard to tell which one actually did the job, most likely it was weight loss.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Dietary fat will typically raise cholesterol so if you're interested in lowering it, reduce your fat intake - cheese, eggs, fatty meats, oils, butter etc. My total was as high as 287 and after reducing fat intake to 10%, it's now down to 168. LDL went from 203 to 108.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think the science isn't very convincing around cholesterol measurement, risks, or treatment, and many doctors seem to be clinging to outmoded ideas, especially the notion that lowering dietary cholesterol will significantly lower blood cholesterol. Individual risk factors should be a big part of whether to treat.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Dietary fat will typically raise cholesterol so if you're interested in lowering it, reduce your fat intake - cheese, eggs, fatty meats, oils, butter etc. My total was as high as 287 and after reducing fat intake to 10%, it's now down to 168. LDL went from 203 to 108.

Please provide your source for this information. I know many people who follow a High Fat diet and don't have issues with cholesterol, myself included.

• KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Please provide your source for this information. I know many people who follow a High Fat diet and don't have issues with cholesterol, myself included.

I totally agree with you. There are a ton of sources out there that shows increasing (healthy) fats, including saturated fats, will raise the good HDL, and lower triglycerides. There are some excellent resources out there that also discredits looking at cholesterol as a single total number. My *total* cholesterol is a bit high by old standards (a method developed when all they could do was measure the total instead of the multitude of particles), but all of my markers have improved on a high fat diet, including my TRI/HDL ratio - one of the most important predictors of heart disease - is now a fantastic 1.1%! I don't have my results in front of me but I remember my bad VLDL was 16 (very low!), my good HDL is 91 (very high!), and Triglycerides only 100 (an excellent range!) My total was 300, but even my doc knew that LDL is factored by using a fuzzy math developed decades ago, so my doctor really doubted the number had much accuracy (since my diet is low carb/high fat which will change the predictability of LDLs) or that I had any concerns. I will be taking the particle test in 4 months to fully breakdown the LDL panel, but otherwise the convincing markers tell me I am doing great and moving in the right direction. Conversely, there is a ton of data that shows people who eat a diet high in refined carbs will increase the triglycerides and VLDL particles. I have been reading (and watching a lot of Youtube videos) by doctor Tara Dall. She has some excellent information available. http://www.taradall.com/
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

I'm going to guess your intake of carbs is low?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. My numbers improved when I increased my fat too but I still eat 200g of carbs regularly.
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Diet plays a very important roll when it comes to lowering your cholesterol levels an so does exercise regularly at least 30-45 min per day and drinking at least 1.5 lt of water daily.
    To lower your cholesterol you need to make some changes in you diet, you need to add high-fiber foods: whole grains, oatmeal, pears, apples, prunes, beans. Try 2 tbsp in a glass of water before breakfast; Add omega-3 to your diet, you can find it in canola oil, salmon, mackerel, tuna, flaxseed. Olive oil, Avocado, Almonds, peanuts and walnuts can be very helpful too.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Of course defer to your medical provider's advice, this is my story:

Was overweight, sedentary, total blood cholesterol of 277 (I don't recall the ratios, but they were concerning/at risk), BP 155/90. Doctor gave me 6 months to lose 20 lbs, prescribed the TLC diet (low sat fats, high on whole grains and fiber, fish and poultry, limit fatty mammal protein), advised 45 mins of daily moderate cardio. Basically, conventional heart health dietary and exercise recommendations.

I followed his orders, and lo and behold, I returned to him 6 months later, 20lbs lighter, did my exercise, followed the dietary guidelines. Total cholesterol: 177. LDL under 110, HDL above 50. Tri' were beautifully low. Verdict: no need for medication, continue the eating and activity for life.

That was 2 years ago. Just this last week, I received my lab results from my yearly checkup. Total cholesterol today: 132. BP 118/75. I will continue on this lifestyle forever.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing you can do is to greatly decrease your sugar intake. I am not talking about reducing your fruits and veggies but rather anything with added processed sugar - white sugar for coffee, candy, sodas, etc. Good, high quality fats like those from olive oil real butter, nuts, avocados and the like are good for you and not likely the culprits in upping your cholesterol. OF course, every body is different and there are always exceptions to the rule.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nutritionK wrote: »
    Diet plays a very important roll when it comes to lowering your cholesterol levels an so does exercise regularly at least 30-45 min per day and drinking at least 1.5 lt of water daily.
    To lower your cholesterol you need to make some changes in you diet, you need to add high-fiber foods: whole grains, oatmeal, pears, apples, prunes, beans. Try 2 tbsp in a glass of water before breakfast; Add omega-3 to your diet, you can find it in canola oil, salmon, mackerel, tuna, flaxseed. Olive oil, Avocado, Almonds, peanuts and walnuts can be very helpful too.
    [Edited by MFP Mods]

This advice is so antiquated. Where are you getting your information???

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    edited March 2016
    Options

It is, yes. For medical reasons I cannot consume wheat/wheat products, so my intake is lower just from that. I am currently attempting VLC at the advice of my GI doctor to help reverse the effects of my NAFLD. Last year in May I was experimenting with my diet because of some health issues (hadn't yet rec'vd my Dx) and eating moderate to low carbs and moderate to high fat, my cholesterol levels were perfect.

But, I'm not sitting here spouting medical advice like @nutritionK I simply know what works for me and have read many new, modern studies that back this information up.

Traditionally tests were performed on mice (generally vegetarian) and rabbits (purely vegetarian) so of course their cholesterol levels would be affected by adding fats, it's not natural! Many more studies have been conducted in recent years using real people as subjects and the studies speak for themselves, lowering carb intake can have a dramatic effect on cholesterol.
  • nutritionK
    nutritionK Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Qalorie.com can be a very helpful tool for you it can help you track your foods, nutrients, water, calories and exercise that way you can be sure you are doing the right thing. They also have certified nutritionists who can help you achieve you goals.

I've studied for 5 years, this antiquated advice can work too, don't toss them off the table just yet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Qalorie.com can be a very helpful tool for you it can help you track your foods, nutrients, water, calories and exercise that way you can be sure you are doing the right thing. They also have certified nutritionists who can help you achieve you goals.

May I ask why you believe there is something weird about this advice? It is the current recommendation of the American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Lifestyle-Changes-and-Cholesterol_UCM_305627_Article.jsp#.VvBONeKLQdU
    and my guess is they are far more qualified to give guidelines on the topic than anyone else?
    Also the same advice can be found in several other official sites with health guidelines:
    http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbc/treatment
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cholesterol/Pages/Treatment.aspx
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I think that there is some variance as to what works for different people. Years ago when I first had my cholesterol levels tested, my total cholesterol was a little low, but my HDL, LDL, and VLDL levels were all good. My diet was moderate to high in carbs but barely moderate in fat (somewhere around 50% carbs and 30-35% fat). I was eating a significant amount of whole grains, including some oats.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

May I ask why you believe there is something weird about this advice? It is the current recommendation of the American Heart Association: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Lifestyle-Changes-and-Cholesterol_UCM_305627_Article.jsp#.VvBONeKLQdU
    and my guess is they are far more qualified to give guidelines on the topic than anyone else?
    Also the same advice can be found in several other official sites with health guidelines:

That advice is based on out of date and inaccurate medical studies. Prior tests have been done on animals like mice and rabbits who have a naturally vegetarian diet, more recent clinical studies have been done on actual people. I'm not saying it can't work, but making blanket statements like this is the only way it can work isn't beneficial to anyone.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I avoided these things when on a low cholesterol diet and my cholesterol went up was on the diet 6 months.so for me thats not true
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

That advice is based on out of date and inaccurate medical studies. Prior tests have been done on animals like mice and rabbits who have a naturally vegetarian diet, more recent clinical studies have been done on actual people. I'm not saying it can't work, but making blanket statements like this is the only way it can work isn't beneficial to anyone.

http://www.webmd.com/cholesterol-management/news/20100802/low-carb-diets-improve-cholesterol-long-term

This is a study stating that when losing weight with a low carb diet, you improve your health, so low carb diets are safe and should not be feared. You are linking a 6 year old study. I am guessing the average cardiologist can google as successfully as the average MFP member. If the advice in the medical site was outdated, I think some dr would have noticed ;)