Like the weight loss...dont like the inbetween shape

Options
well so far i have lost nearly 23lbs which i am so proud, roughly a third of what i want to lose in total. i also like the inches that i am losing now i am exercising but i seem to be becoming a strange shape in the booty area....half way down i have this strange ring of fat most obvious when i stand at a 45 degree angle to a mirror.
i know you cant burn off fat in particular areas but im wondering if it could be because about 75% of my exercise is cycling....could the sitting down be causing this one place to hold onto the fat?

Replies

• letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'd say add in some lower body strength training. When you build muscle it really helps with burning calories + firming. Hope this helps :) congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Bump

Are you talking about the upper butt fat?
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you had a belly like I do, it's just the last thing to flatten out. I don't think it had to do with your particular exercise choice, I think it's just one of the last areas to shrink away. :grumble:
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Just in the booty or all the way around? My understanding is women's body's naturally try to hold fat in the abdominal area. Gotta keep you ready for baby making!!! :sad:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to keep up the good work and see what happens as you lose some more and tone up.
    I have wierd flabby top thighs which I'm trying to ignore and hoping that all my running will help!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    OMG me too. I've been mostly walking/running though.

My booty is dandy. No complaints there. My legs and thighs have shrunk, I've lost weight on my trunk? torso? but the belly fat... oh the belly fat... it's like everything else has to evacuate before it'll start moving. My belly is also the first place I gain weight though and then it eventually shifts out to the rest of my body, so I'm wondering if the weight loss somehow works in the reverse of that. lol
  • GemUK84
    GemUK84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    it's inline with the widest part of my hips, i dont mind being curvy i have big boobs, hips and booty but this literally is in the shape of a C on my backside. (im probably not explaining this very well :laugh: )
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fat is going to peel off like the layers of an onion. Depending on your shape (apple versus pear), you'll likely hold onto fat in one of those areas until you can pry it from your body. It's unfair, but it's a protective mechanism.

If you spend a lot of time sitting I'd recommend more cross-training, including load-bearing exercises. Nothing wrong with spinning, it torches tons of calories, but you'll get used to doing the same thing over and over and burn fewer calories doing it.
  • LieutenantJoker
    Options
    After you lose about 10% of your body weight you really should take a few months and try to just maintain. Let your body and your mind adjust to the new weight. It's hard to hear and you probably will keep on going anyway, but that's the proper answer.

You should be doing a full body muscular resistance routine ANYWAY as its been said it will burn calories in the during, raise your metabolism significantly in the short term while your muscles repair (which does not happen with just cardio) and you will raise your metabolism long term with lean muscle mass.

Doing long bouts of cardio (especially the long blasé cardio that a lot of people do to get into that completely imaginary "FAT BURNING ZONE" (1)) will actually burn more muscle mass.

You should consider changing up your cardio routine with a High Intensity Training routine, i.e. 30:60 sprints on the bike or an aerobic circuit.

Resources:

Cosgrove, Rachel, "The Myth of the Fat Burning Zone" http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
  • GemUK84
    GemUK84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i am a total novice when it comes to exercise and am just trying to get my activity up at the moment. i basically did nothing before.

i cant see myself just maintaining for a few months before i carry on losing weight. i know it would be too easy to slip back to my old ways once the motivation of results is removed.

however if you have any tips of exercise (both cardio and strength) that i could do in the comfort of my own home i would very much appreciate it :smile:

ps i am most definitely a pear
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    After you lose about 10% of your body weight you really should take a few months and try to just maintain. Let your body and your mind adjust to the new weight. It's hard to hear and you probably will keep on going anyway, but that's the proper answer.

What?? Why? I've never heard this before. I've lost almost 25% of my body weight and didn't take any breaks. Did I do something wrong?
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options

What?? Why? I've never heard this before. I've lost almost 25% of my body weight and didn't take any breaks. Did I do something wrong?

not that I know of, I have never heard of this before either. Why would you want to stop losing and maintain just because you lost 10%?
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options

You should be doing a full body muscular resistance routine ANYWAY as its been said it will burn calories in the during, raise your metabolism significantly in the short term while your muscles repair (which does not happen with just cardio) and you will raise your metabolism long term with lean muscle mass.

Doing long bouts of cardio (especially the long blasé cardio that a lot of people do to get into that completely imaginary "FAT BURNING ZONE" (1)) will actually burn more muscle mass.

You should consider changing up your cardio routine with a High Intensity Training routine, i.e. 30:60 sprints on the bike or an aerobic circuit.

Resources:

Cosgrove, Rachel, "The Myth of the Fat Burning Zone" http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm

After reading the article you referenced, I found the training info and it's pretty much what I knew. However, nowhere did I find anything that says go into maintenance after losing 10%. Could you tell us where you get that information from?