How to start a new healthy habit?????

Options
I am trying to lose weight, exercise and get healthy. I have already lost about 25 pounds and in trying to start better habits I bought a book called "Better than Before" by Gretchen Rubin. I find I know what I should do, however I find it difficult to actually start that new habit and stick to it over a long period – my old unhealthy habits always end up creeping back in. I like the book, it discusses how different people successfully start new habits based on how they personally are motivated to do things. I personally am someone who is motivated by external sources. In other words I need something that holds me accountable to follow a new habit; for example, I really need a deadline to finish writing a manuscript. So if there are any others out there who read this book (or want to read the book) and want to use strategies in the book to start a new habit I would love to start a group. Specifically, I would like to start a group with others who would be interested in discussing strategies for external accountability for healthy food habits, weight loss and exercise.

Replies

• Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You said you are trying to lose weight and get healthy, yet you are motivated by external sources. In this case, what is your external source of motivation, or is that what you are searching for? If you have a goal, then surely you have a reason for having that goal. Just remember that every decision you make can affect your progress toward you goal in a positive or negative way (if it doesn't effect it, then it's not important in this context). If it's positive, then do it and feel happy about it. If it's negative, don't do it, do something positive instead, and feel happy that you overcame an obstacle. Healthy habits, here we come!
  • kmcdermo824
    kmcdermo824 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for ideas of external accountability. What works for others. For example, getting reminders from this app is a type of external accountability. I just started so with the app and am looking forward to using this as a tool to help me establish new habits. Does anyone else have other external accountability strategies that help keep you on track?