Do you log calories consumed during exercise?

Options
Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered, but I've searched and haven't been able to find an answer.

I'm trying to lose a little weight for the upcoming triathlon season so I'm using MFP to monitor my daily calorie intake.

I routinely ride a bike >20 miles. During my rides I'll usually eat a Gu, PowerBar, or some other type of energy bar to keep my carbs/energy levels topped off.

Do I log the calories consumed from these energy bars during my ride?

Thanks!

Replies

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely! You've still eaten something, doesn't matter what you were doing while you ate it!
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • jaeysson
    jaeysson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Log the bike ride too - the calories might balance out anyway.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    jaeysson wrote: »
    Hi,

I apologize if this has been answered, but I've searched and haven't been able to find an answer.

I'm trying to lose a little weight for the upcoming triathlon season so I'm using MFP to monitor my daily calorie intake.

I routinely ride a bike >20 miles. During my rides I'll usually eat a Gu, PowerBar, or some other type of energy bar to keep my carbs/energy levels topped off.

Thanks!

i have had similar questions, for the same reasons.

Yes, log them.

also, pick up the book "Racing Weight."
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I have seen threads about this. Folks recommend eating at least 50% of your calories, up to 100%. I don't eat my calories, but I'm not doing varsity-level exercise like you are (Couch-to-5K, second week). Good luck!
  • jaeysson
    Options
    jaeysson wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks!

i have had similar questions, for the same reasons.

Yes, log them.

also, pick up the book "Racing Weight."

Thanks for the book suggestion Capt! I haven't considered reading a book about weight loss for triathlons. I train/race with a power meter so I believe I have a pretty accurate picture of my calorie burn.
  • jaeysson
    Options
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    I have seen threads about this. Folks recommend eating at least 50% of your calories, up to 100%. I don't eat my calories, but I'm not doing varsity-level exercise like you are (Couch-to-5K, second week). Good luck!

Yeah oocdc, I've seen threads about the topic you mentioned. This is different though, I was looking to see if you log the calories eaten during exercise, not whether you eat your exercise calories back. Thanks for the information though! Good luck to you as well!
  • ja20102004
    ja20102004 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yes!