What is your why?

Options
Why are you making positive changes in your life regarding health and fitness? My why is pretty simple, I want my body to be the healthiest it has ever been. I want to control my health and fitness and not become a sad unhealthy statistic as I age. What is your why? I would love to know!!

Replies

• cbrealtor55
    cbrealtor55 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high bp. At 39 I decided this was stupid and I was killing myself. I am almost off the medicine, hopefully my next doctor visit in May I will be done with it.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I want more energy. Got tired of being tired all the time, getting out of breath going up a flight of stairs, and not being able to keep up with my kids.
  • ilovehamburgers72
    ilovehamburgers72 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with high bp. At 39 I decided this was stupid and I was killing myself. I am almost off the medicine, hopefully my next doctor visit in May I will be done with it.

Wow!!! That's amazing!! Good job taking control of your health and your life!!! Don't know ya, but proud of ya!! Not everyone has that determination!
  • ilovehamburgers72
    Options
    samchez0 wrote: »
    I want more energy. Got tired of being tired all the time, getting out of breath going up a flight of stairs, and not being able to keep up with my kids.

Good luck with your goals!!! Maybe you'll get to where the kids have trouble keeping up with you!!!
  • Hope4Beth
    Hope4Beth Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't want to hurt every time I walk up and down the stairs. I want to feel better. I don't want to be labeled morbidly obese. I want to fit back into my "normal" clothes.
  • olobersnowdon
    olobersnowdon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I want to show my daughters how to be a strong woman. I work to stay fit and be healthy in general.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have several reasons. The biggest is that I don't want to be like my mom. She has had high blood pressure since she was 30 years old, has had 3 strokes in the last 15 years, and has diabetes. I'm physically disabled and I CAN NOT get these things. If I do, it won't be because I didn't try my hardest not to.

I've also been overweight since I was late teens. Having the physical limitations I have, it never occurred to me until about 8 years ago that exercising and walking for my health was a good idea. I have been told in the past by doctors not to walk any more than I have to, to use scooters when shopping, etc. I had a very sedentary life, a desk job and got to almost a size 20. I decided that was it, I had to do what I could physically to improve my health. Something just flipped inside of me and I've been walking (I walk with crutches) for my health for several years, and going to the gym for several years. I lost about 50 lbs over 2 years by just walking and going to the gym.

I maintained my weight loss until about 2 years ago. I started gaining weight in my abdomen, and went up a jean size, and other weird symptoms. Very long story short, I got sent to the hospital barely conscious. When I woke up a few days later, found out I had renal failure, sepsis and an "enormous" (Dr's word) mass in my abdomen. It turned out to be a 16lb ovarian cyst that was killing me. I ended up being bedridden for 6 weeks through that ordeal. I lost so much strength that the first day of rehab I could barely walk 10 feet with the therapist holding me up. I got strong fairly quickly, but this last summer I was still having too much leg weakness, so I joined a medically oriented gym and quit the other gym. I have made HUGE improvements and am probably stronger than I was before I got sick. I don't ever want to lose strength like that again. So, I work out really hard at the gym 3-4 times a week. Just recently I decided to try to lose about 20 more lbs so started MFP.

• peacerunner
    peacerunner Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 this year and honestly my weight has climbed each year as I have aged.
    I am active and have no problem with exercise. It is all food for me. I run half marathons and done a few full marathons and yet with running an average of 20 to 30 miles a week my weight still climbs. I now have about 35 pounds to lose and I am scared if I don't I will be looking at a future of problems (high BP and diabetics) and I won't be able to be as active as I want.
    I feel like I have been obsessive about my weight since my early 20's. I am just tired of being heavier than I should be.
    I want to have more energy and look great in my clothes. I also have some huge race goals I have set and they would be a heck of a lot easier to meet if I were lighter on my feet.
  • dadupe
    dadupe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I wanna wear cool clothes and be able to sit in the back of a theater without feeling super guilty.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1) I wanted to be healthy. At my heaviest, I was starting to get extremely sick, and I guess I reached a point where I was honestly scared for myself.

2) I wanted to think clearly again. I don't know if it was because of depression, or sickness, or what, but for a while I just couldn't think, or concentrate. My head constantly felt like it was full off cotton.

3) I wanted to leave my house. I was too self-conscious to do so (I developed mild agoraphobia), and I reached a point where my reclusion became less of a safety net and more of a cage. I was starting to feel claustrophobic in my own home, and considering how much of an introvert I am, that should tell you how bad it was.

4) I wanted to feel comfortable and confident in my own skin. I felt--and still feel, though to a slightly lesser extent--awkward and and clumsy and uncomfortable.

5) I wanted to have friends again. I pushed everyone away (most importantly my best friend) when I started gaining weight because I was so ashamed of the way I looked and how much I let myself go. I got lonely, I suppose.

6) I wanted to be able to wear anything and everything, and look cute doing it.

• Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Want to become antifragile
  • shannonpinkneysp
    shannonpinkneysp Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My whole life I have always been heavier. So I guess my biggest why is I don't want to be described as being "cute, but kind of big" anymore.

My next why is to get my triglycerides in check. My eating habits are ok based on research I've done about what causes them to be high. It's really the fact that I have all this extra body fat. So I've decided to up my exercise this year and drop some of this fat before my next check up.
  • ilovehamburgers72
    Options
    Thank y'all for sharing!!! I know each of you are going to succeed!! You seem so determined and your why is very motivating!! I appreciate you letting me and anyone else in the community gain a glimpse into your personal life! I believe the support on this app can make the difference between moving forward and sliding back!
  • angfirst
    angfirst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My only daughter is leaving home in the fall for college, and as a (young-ish) "empty nester," I want my husband and I to be able to enjoy life and all the adventures we can while we are able to! Not many people are able to do this, so we want to take full advantage of our unique situation (we are going to be DINKs, lol).