Clothes Solutions

So I am just starting to lose weight and have lost almost a clothes size. The thing is I have many sizes that I'm hoping to lose and don't want to go buy new clothes that I (hopefully) won't fit in for very long. Any suggestions about what to do during the time between the size I was and the size I want to be in?

Replies

• ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I live out of goodwill..I've gone down 4-5 sizes and I would say 90% of my wardrobe is from there.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Agreed. Shop consignment. You can find some good stuff, almost new sometimes.
  • RedLipsRedDress
    RedLipsRedDress Posts: 125 Member
    Good question. I haven't bought any clothes since December and now my mom wants to give me some money to go shopping for my birthday next month but I still have 26 lbs to go. I've got some old clothes from before I gained all of weight (66 lbs) but most of them don't fit yet. Basically, I'm wearing things that are either too big or too small. Meanwhile my new year resolution was not to buy and wear cheap clothes anymore as I don't want to look cheap. It's not the impression I want to make, especially at work. Finding something that looks good enough at second hand stores takes more time than I'm willing to invest so don't know what to do.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    I have gone from a 5x/30-32 to a 2x/22-24 in a year. I love to shop, even knowing I am going to lose more weight. I just stick to stores like Ross and I won't spend a lot of money on clothes that I don't have time. The tops that I can still wear I put a wide strap tank top underneath. That way when my blouse falls off my shoulder it looks like it was meant to be that way. I can't do thrift stores so this is my solution
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    I just bought a big bundle of clothes (I think 7 dresses, a jacket and a top) on eBay - they are all by the same brand whose sizing I'm familiar with, so I am reasonably confident they'll fit. Together they cost less than one new dress from that shop would have cost.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 623 Member
    I agree with second hand clothes wherever you can find them. Also clearance sales and anything with a really good price reduction.

I went from an (Australian) size 26 down to a 8 or 10, most of the size drop was in the space of a year. There is definitely no point in spending a heap of money on clothes that you'll just shrink out of :)
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    mlinci wrote: »
    I just bought a big bundle of clothes (I think 7 dresses, a jacket and a top) on eBay - they are all by the same brand whose sizing I'm familiar with, so I am reasonably confident they'll fit. Together they cost less than one new dress from that shop would have cost.

Another vote for Ebay here. I sell stuff I shrink out of and put that money towards used stuff in familiar brands which I know will fit. When I get to my goal weight I might then treat myself to a new wardrobe.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I've shrunk about three sizes so far. I didn't buy much at all until the smallest size and just shopped the sales. Because I wear vintage or good repro I'm lucky that it mostly retains its value so I sold my big clothes to pay for the new clothes and will do the same again when I hop down another couple of sizes (which will hopefully be goal).
  • greaseisstilltheword
    greaseisstilltheword Posts: 15 Member
    Just my two cents...thrift stores are a great idea, but make sure you DO treat yourself to the occasional piece at your new size. You've worked hard to lose weight & sometimes it's hard to even see the loss if you're wearing clothes that are too large. Yes it's annoying to pull something out of your closet that's now too big even though you bought it not that long ago, but you deserve to have at least one outfit that hugs your new curves properly. I personally feel so much better when my clothes fit! And you can donate those too big clothes, so that someone just like you will be thrilled to find them at the thrift store! Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I only bought bottoms at the change of season, and for tops pretty much went from 1X to medium (which was a mistake. Should have waited longer before buying those).

But I only buy cheap clothes anyway (Target or Kohls on sale and 30% coupon).
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    I've actually got clothes in sizes 38 to 46 (German sizes), so I just tend to shrink back into clothes. But I do believe in buying new things when I can afford it because well-fitting clothes make me feel good about myself and also because I need to look neat for work. I just bought new jeans because the big ones were ripped and too big and the small ones not quite fitted just yet.

Unfortunately thrift shops aren't really a thing in Germany, there's only one in my town and I've never really found anything I like there.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    So I am just starting to lose weight and have lost almost a clothes size. The thing is I have many sizes that I'm hoping to lose and don't want to go buy new clothes that I (hopefully) won't fit in for very long. Any suggestions about what to do during the time between the size I was and the size I want to be in?

It kind of depends a bit on how you are changing and the kind of clothes you wear.
    I've changed the most on the top part of my body. I had to get some new tops after awhile. I am still wearing the same sweaters I had though. My stretchy waist pants and skirts already fit my goal hip size so I have not bought new bottoms yet even though I lost 5" off my waist.
    You might be able to wear a dress and add a belt if it becomes loose.
    Head to the thrift store and buy a few things.
    You could get your clothes altered. If you sew you could do it yourself. There are things on pinterest or you tube about altering clothes to be smaller.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Goodwill and just making the bigger size last for a bit longer than I probably should.
  • jabjbab
    jabjbab Posts: 8 Member
    Depending on how much you want to spend, getting items you love tailored or taken in with your local seamstress might be an option.
  • spookycomet
    spookycomet Posts: 12 Member
    Have you tried thredup.com? It is an online consignment. You can sell your too big clothes and you can buy clothes from their site.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Thred up is amazing!

But I second goodwill. You get better quality clothes at cheaper prices and help a good cause. And personally I think life's too short to wear cheap crappy clothes. They make everyone look worse whatever their size. Once you get to the size you want to be buy something beautiful.
  • MrsLMKing
    MrsLMKing Posts: 50 Member
    Elastic waistbands for now!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    I go to Goodwill. It can be hit or miss some days, but my current two favorite pairs of jeans are from there. Nothing like pre-broken in jeans and they usually cost like $6. I've actually found a quite few awesome deals.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    I use www.vinted.com! I use it to sell the clothes I no longer fit into and to buy used clothes on the cheap in whatever size I need. Frankly its saved my life and helps my budget a whole lot. Theres also giveaways and theres seller ratings so you can find trusted sellers.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    edited March 2016
    I haven't had to buy new pants or shorts yet, but when I buy clothes now I try to buy tops that I'll be able to wear even if I'm 3-4 sizes smaller. I like a lot of my tops loose fitting anyway, but we'll see. The stuff I won't be able to wear anymore I'll either give to my best friend or take to the flea market.

For next winter, I'll have to get a completely new winter jacket though, because my old ones are already ridiculously big on me now. :/ Well, it won't be completely new because I saw some cute ones at the second hand store and that's where I'll be getting mine next!