Can't keep up with Couch to 5K, Week 1 - Do you have any advice?

Options
Hi, I'm new to running and have begun the Get Running App (it is similar to the Couch to 5K Program). I finished my third workout for week 1 today and thought it would be a little easier by the 3rd work out, you run 1 minute and walk 1.5 mins. I am having an extremely hard time running for the full minute, it isn't my legs- I can't catch my breath, like I can barely get a word or 2 out at the end of the minute. It feels like my lungs won't fill and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's an endurance issue. I am probably going to repeat week 1 because I don't know if I could handle week 2 yet. I'm not sprinting during the minute, and I've mostly done weight training up until now so my endurance is probably low. Did any other new runners have this issue? Were you able to get through week 1 or did you have to repeat? Any advice would be very appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I did ok with week 1, but I know lots of people who struggled with it. Just keep repeating it until you can do it. No shame in that. You might try just walking first for a month. Walk fast and it will help build your endurance. Or go smirbother form of cardio like spinning, elliptical, or a class.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Well done for trying!

I finished C25K in December. I had lots of trouble breathing at first, too. Try running really slowly.

Also, make sure you're taking a rest day after each session. Your body heals and improves while "resting".

You'll get better as you go.

I ran 13 km this morning, and was barely puffing! The body is absolutely incredible if you treat it well.

Good luck!
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're running too fast? I know when I first began running (many) years ago, my goal was to cover 20 minutes, that was before apps (before smartphones, lol). I tried C25K about 20 pounds ago and again, started out too fast. Today was my first day of a restart. I warmed up with a 3.8mph walk and only increased the run to 4.8. I was able to finish without being totally out of breath. Speed will come. As they say in running; "To finish is to win."
  • Bethie_ess
    Bethie_ess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Slow down. :) Really. There will be times that you feel like you're not running as fast as you walk: that's ok. It's also ok to repeat a week.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    What a few other people said and slow down. You aren't being chased by an axe murderer ideally. When I did C25K my "run" was slower than my walk. Speed will some with time. If you start to struggle just slow down.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, be the tortoise not the hare. Slow it on down.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Your running pace might actually be as slow as your walking pace. If you still do not feel comfortable, then ask yourself if you can walk the whole distance at a fast walk pace. If not, then start there and postpone c25k a few weeks.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I echo all of the above. I thought I had slowed down, but it wasn't until quite a few weeks in that I actually realised how slow I needed to be at that point. As already said, it doesn't matter if you run more slowly than you walk. You will gradually speed up later. I graduated in December and I'm still working on speed, but by slowing down at the start I can now run for 10k quite comfortably.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Slow down and repeat the first week until you're comfortably ready to move on. If you're barely coping with 60 secs, Week 2 are 90 sec run intervals and it sounds like you're not ready yet.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Do week 1 over until you can do it. If you are actually having breathing problems, then you may want to check with your dr.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    As upthread, slow down. The point is to run continuously for the running period, so pick a pace that allows you to do that and don't worry about how far you go in that period.
  • emmanelson654
    emmanelson654 Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it! I'll try to slow down the run portion and repeat week 1.
  • ashpile83
    ashpile83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just read an article about this. It's because you are trying to match your breathing with your stride. Try slowing down your breaths and focus on longer deeper breaths, then pick up speed still counting your breaths
  • Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have completed the c25k using Get Running, please take it from me - trust the program.

I remember having to physically stop at the end of every running interval in weeks 1 & 2. I was wheezing and my heart felt like it was going to harm out of my chest. I pushed on and each time the app presented me with a new longer interval, I did it. It was very hard the first time in almost all of those cases but once I had done it the first time, I found I could get by.

A few things:
    - Sounds like you need to slow your pace.
    - As mentioned above, read up on breathing while running. It is incredibly important.
    - I'd suggest some core work to help you. I found my whole form improved when I added core workouts.
    - Watch your posture. I used to run like I was falling forward. Once I straightened by back and relaxed my shoulders, my world changed!
    - Trust the process and wait for the "hitting your stride feeling" - that point where an interval or a run changes: you're still working hard, it still isn't easy but you feel a change in the strain and have an "I can do this moment". If I feel like I am going to fail, I just make myself wait until I hit my stride before I stop and inevitably find out that I don't need to. Beginning to run is as much a mental challenge as a physical one.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I repeated all the weeks, most of them more than once. Slow down on the running portions and remember the walking portions are meant for you to catch your breath so go slowly on them as well. It took me a LONG time to build up to running any distance but now I run all the time and love it.
  • TheSunshineQueen
    TheSunshineQueen Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ok, so I used to do C25K. I started when I was 255 lbs (5'8.5") and the first week was hell. I struggled to jog for 60 secs, and couldn't even finish the first day. But I kept going, and I got better. It took me 1.5 months to move on to Week 2 because I just didn't feel ready. Week 2 was definitely easier.

You just have to keep trying, and don't worry about how long it takes you to complete a "Week". Something that really helped me was singing, believe it or not. I'd sing (quietly or inaudibly) to myself and that helped me to regulate my breathing (I got that tip from an article on Runnersworld, btw).

Also, run slower. When I first started, I'm sure a crawling toddler could have outpaced me. You can worry about speed after you finish the program.

Good luck, OP!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's great to hear everyone's reports! I'm ready to start week 4 and looking forward to it. # shewhohatestotun
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I just started the app and had to stop a few days due to bad weather. but I am going to keep repeating week 1 until I can get better. I can run but for me my legs get tired quick(I can strength train my legs better than I run).when you feel like you cant run,slow down and walk at a moderate pace. you will get better,your lungs will improve and you wont be so short of breath. I have asthma and my lung capacity has improved. I have never ran before but I did and still do exercises to boost my stamina and endurance which is what helped me not get out of breath when running. also I breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth when running,which helps a lot. do you have any breathing issues normally or just while running/working out?
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner and I failed miserably with the first few weeks of C25K and ended up going back to walking. Sounds like you have some great advice here from people who know. But I do want to add that I have exercise induced asthma and didn't learn I had it until later in life when I went to an amazing doctor for my allergies. Once I started taking my inhaler before exercising my world changed. My whole life I thought I had an endurance problem when in reality, I wasn't breathing efficiently due to my lungs. What a difference it's made. Just thought you might want to also consider this and get checked if you haven't.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Try doing 30 Day Shred on the days when you are not doing C25K, it really helps with stamina.

I am starting after Easter and looking forward to it.