I would really appreciate your help - starting again.

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
Hi
I did brilliantly on MFP four years ago and reached my target weight and fitness, and maintained it for a year. However, after a family crisis and a house move, over the last three years I have put back on the three stone I lost. Worse than that, I have completely stopped exercising and have become really down on myself. I have also been smoking (something I easily stopped last time I got fit). I feel like I have a huge mountain to climb, and in short, I am feeling rubbish. I know I need to stop smoking and take each day making small healthy changes. I'd really like to get some more friends on here, perhaps those who are in a similar situation as me, to help encourage each other. I know I can do this but at the moment it seems like such a struggle to begin. Sorry to sound so moany and negative. This site was fabulous for me before and I had some lovely contacts on here; I really am hoping some people can help me get going again! Thank you.

Replies

• HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Hi. I know what you mean, lost a lot of weight on here the first time around but got a death in the family and went through hard times and gained it all back... But I am here again and I've already lost 15kg (still have a lot to lose) but it's doable. As you said, take it step by step. Feel free to add me if you want. Good luck!
  • albali
    Options
    Thank you HealthyGinny. You've done really well. I am trying to add you but can't remember how!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    YOu were sucessful before so you know how to loose the weight. Concentrate on one thing a time. I personally and purposefully lost weight enough that I could put it back on should If had issues with the eating that most smokers have when quitting. I really did not, so this was a wee bit easier for me than it is for most.

So far no weight gain and the taper plan I created worked, but I do still vape some today.

From that time to today, I now run 1/2 marathons often and run every day to every other day and also lift weights. I am now mentally and physically stronger to handle both the food and smoking thing together and have been doing so for quite a while now.

You just got to pick something you need to work on first and do that. So if you want to stop smoking do that first or loose weight first. Hard to do both unless you have the mental and physical toughness to carry both of them out together, i learned slowly along the way.
  • albali
    Options
    Thank you , RoxieDawn. That makes a lot of sense. Well done on your half marathons btw! You seem to have the balance right!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    albali wrote: »
    Thank you , RoxieDawn. That makes a lot of sense. Well done on your half marathons btw! You seem to have the balance right!

It gets easier, it takes time, a lot patience and diligence to either goal. My balance took trial and error, but I lost the weight first which was the best thing I could do at first, then created a taper plan (cold turkey was out of the question) for 10 weeks, and then done with them.

I looked it this way, since I used MFP to log everything, why not log the smoking. If I could create a calorie deficit, why not a smoking deficit?

Since I log calories, exercise, weight, measurements, etc,, etc.. this made me accountable for everything. After I was done with the taper plan, I trained for my 1/2 marathon and ran first 1/2 marathon two weeks ago and have not looked back since. I smoked for 20+ years and I am 47 years old. If I can do this, I swear any human on the planet can.