Terrified of Overestimates/Underestimates?

Options
Fayve
Fayve Posts: 411 Member
Hey guys,

I just wanted to ask, or create some discussion on the topic of overestimating or underestimating calories consumed or burned. I've found that lately I've been really really scared about my logging, simply because I know that it's not possible to ever be 100% accurate (or close, for that matter). I use a food scale to weigh the majority of my food, and I use MFP's numbers for my exercise. I know that a HRM is the most accurate as far as exercise goes, and I would LOVE to own one, but I just don't have the money at the moment.

I'm currently a culinary student, so I end up to logging an extra 100 or 300 quick-add calories a day to take the place of any sampling I need to do during the day. I'm always so terrified that I've eaten way more than that without even realizing it, and then the guilt sets in. I'm trying to let that go though, cause I mean... how often do you get to sample such awesome food for free? I'd hate to feel guilty the whole time for it.

Anyways, back to my original point. I find that I'm rationalizing things in my head like "I'll not record my bike ride as exercise, since I ate that slice of bread at school, and I don't know how to log that properly". I'm really struggling with my inability to log things accurately, so I either don't log exercise as a way to 'rationalize' the calories, as opposed to just logging both (cause I figure it would be less accurate?). That, or I just feel guilty over the fact that I don't know the caloric values of every single thing I eat.

Maybe I'm just rambling, or maybe I'm being a little too caught up in the whole thing. I guess at the end of the day, I'm still in a several hundred calorie defecit, and there's a little room for error. Any ideas how to handle this from anyone who goes through the same thing? Thanks!

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    You're right. It's not possible to be 100% accurate for any of us, but look at how we're all losing weight! And you've lost 4 lbs, so good job!

I think you are overthinking this (you know this too!). If you're exercising and not recording the calories burned, that is as bad as not logging food. You're shortchanging yourself. If you're sampling food on the job, just do the best you can. That's all you can ever ask of yourself. You are second-guessing yourself into a place where you're just going to make it even more difficult. If it's bothering you to the point that it's counterproductive, try to limit yourself to one or two samples. It won't cost much in calories.

In terms of always being under on your calories, it's best to come closer to your goal. You are in danger of plateauing your weight loss by putting yourself at too much of a deficit. There is not "little room for error" here - you're being too hard on yourself. The built-in deficit and your activity will likely come out in the wash, and if it doesn't, you'll know to make some adjustments in the food you're eating.

Hang in there, relax!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Before I got my HRM I just left a 'buffer' of a few hundred calories, which I'm glad I did because after I got it I realized that I was burning quite a bit less than the estimates form here (partly because I was over estimating how fast I was walking/running). But I knew that there was a chance I was under estimating my food and over estimating exercise so I just stuck with not eating back all of my exercise calories and that worked for me.

I would just say log food as well as you can and log your exercise, but don't eat back all of your exercise calories just to leave a bit of a buffer.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    A little bit of analysis paralysis?

It's easy to obsess about every little detail. If it is becomming overwhelming, just try estimating on paper for a week or so. It is very liberating to step back from the number crunch.

And it's not an exact science, but you will notice a "sweet spot" where you are satisfied with the food choices, able to maintain an exercise routine, and still lose weight.

It's a process....a journey, not a destination.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Honestly. I think that if you are getting close to accurate, you will be fine. Don't stress out over a few missed calories here and there.

But if you do stress out, don't forget to log the calories burned from the stress and anxiety.
  • mkfrazee
    mkfrazee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Fayve!

I have definitely felt the same since I've joined, but I agree with Jenscan on this. I think it is better to log everything and then look at the calories for food and exercise separately to see how you are doing on both fronts. Also, you will know if you are "cheating" by not logging certain, and eventually you will be cheating yourself out of losing weight. Congrats on your first 4 lbs, I believe you will meet your goal in no time!

On a side note, I couldn't help notice that we are almost twins! I am currently around 137, hoping to get down to 125 as my first goal (will also be visiting my bf in August), and perhaps lower once I reach that goal.

Good luck!
  • mkfrazee
    mkfrazee Posts: 6 Member
    Options

But if you do stress out, don't forget to log the calories burned from the stress and anxiety.

Haha, good one donbet, never thought of that before!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    A little bit of analysis paralysis?

Haha, exactly!

I agree with all of you guys, thank you :) I'm worrying way too much probably, and I haven't even been freaked out about it long enough to know if it affects my weight loss or not. I appreciate the feedback though.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I have been at a plateau and am trying to increase my calories in case it helps but in the back of my mind I wonder if I'm not losing because I've been underestimating cals. I use a HRM and try to use a scale when I cook but many times my husband cooks and when we go out to dinner it's usually a guess as to how much meat, etc I had and how much fat, etc was added. Then I try to be under my cals to make up for a possible underestimation but not sure how much I need to do so. If I was losing it wouldn't bother me as much...