Losing weight just on diet?

Options
So who here has lost weight just because of a reductionn calorie intake without exercise? If so, what was your initial weight and what weight are you know? How long did it take? What did you eat?

Replies

• skorsk
    skorsk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm reducing cals and not exercising. I've been losing about 1-2 pounds a week. I just started about 3 weeks ago.. I haven't the motivation to get to the gym yet. Fully intend to and my weight loss will increase faster.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm okay with losing 2 pounds a week without exercise. I plan on working out in a week for about 4 times a week from then on
  • TylerNS47
    TylerNS47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think it is fair to say that no one has reduced food intake while on the couch, and felt as energetic as someone that adds light activity to their plan.

But yeah. Exercise is less important than how much I eat. It is critical that I figure out the eating thing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Well..I exercise, but I lift for strength/physique. Not to get a calorie burn. I started losing while counting calories and doing a LITTLE cardio but I slowly dropped the cardio. I owe all of my weight loss to calorie counting/deficit and my body composition/physique to weight training.
  • TylerNS47
    TylerNS47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the more I weight train, the more i do cardio because it feels natural to add it as a warm down activity. I've heard it helps shorten recovery if you are weight training with significant intensity to form quite a bit of lactic acid build up.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I had around 30lbs to lose and lost 24 of those with zero exercise, took me 4mths. I did it following alternate day fasting, TDEE on one day and 500 calories the next and so on. This is completely unnecessary though, I just found it easier to diet every second day, then every day. I could have achieved the same sticking to a deficit every day.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Started at 340 pounds on January 1st of 2015, hit my goal of 185 the second week of September, 2015. A little less than 8.5 months. I am a 35/M/6'5".

I have MS and am in a lot of pain, especially when I get hot. I did 0 exercise, just daily life. I also do not work because of my disease, so very sedentary. I cut my calories down to 1300 and over the entire course of weight loss, my average loss was right at 18 pounds per month. I did not lose that much every month, but that is the average.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started last summer and averaged 1lb a week. I don't exercise as such but I did start trying to walk more and try to go for a walk most days now. Don't do cardio or weights.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I did at first but it's definitely not something I could have kept doing in the long run. I need the extra calories that I get from being active because, well, I have a big appetite.
  • only126db
    only126db Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am losing just by dieting...

I got extremely fat 400+ after the housing crash (I was big and strong but not huge then), I was a carpenter, but could no longer find a job, moved to a state with snow so was less active during winter then started to feel the years of body abuse in my back. Then my teen son was diagnosed with heart failure and PAH so I got depressed, and we did even less outside because of worry about the kid dying. Soon walking from one end of the house to the next was harder for me than him.

I started Atkins, was dropping 1lb per day, Atkins was really hard, I switched it up a bit and now still not active really due to my weight making it hard with the back issues and all. So with pretty much just diet I am still losing 1lb per day, I eat no bread or breaded food, no processed food, no fruit for the most part. I go as low carb as i can, eat under 1500 calories per day and stay away from added sugar. From 2/24 till today 3/20 I have lost 26lbs. I think its easier for really fat people (like me) to lose weight because we have so much fat.

My goal is #200, once I get down to around 300 it should be alot easier on me to move around without so much pain and I can get to the gym and get yoked up. I Will get my youth strength back plus more, I used to be a hoodlum strong like an ox tough as nails, now I am embarrassed and weak... No more...

Done being a fat slob, sorry if some take offense to the term fat slob, but thats just how it is...

• Sporttster
    Sporttster Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I started at nearly 230lbs, 6'1" Jan 1st. Noticed the weight comes off pretty quickly early on and then it plateaus and then it gets harder to come off the closer you get to your goal. I want to get to 205 but am having a difficult time of it. I do hit the gym 3 or 4 times a week, averaging 500 calories each time on treadmill/ellipitical. And try like crazy to maintain 1650cals/day which is very hard for me. I'm usually over 200 or so. I'm trying to find a way to be able to maintain the weight loss over time with a LIVEABLE diet, not some crazy changes that I will eventually lose willpower to maintain. No sense in losing, gaining, losing, etc. Don't want to get on that yoyo diet crap. So I guess if it comes off very slowly over time and yet I'm able to live with the food changes I'll be in great shape. But at this stage with trying to eat at calorie deficit is dang hard.....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    So who here has lost weight just because of a reductionn calorie intake without exercise? If so, what was your initial weight and what weight are you know? How long did it take? What did you eat?

You can lose weight without exercise, but I don't see why anyone capable of it wouldn't want to. When I exercise regularly, I feel better, sleep better, have more energy, and am more productive.

Exercise doesn't need to be done in a gym - I get most of mine hiking and soon will be gardening.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My first 4 weeks on MFP were exercise free. I lost about 9 pounds that month. I have since added exercise, but I am glad that I spent some time focusing on my eating first.
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have lost 50.2 lbs so far and still don't exercise. I started counting my calories in August 2015, and I noticed I was losing weight right away. I eat the same foods, just a lot less than what I used to. I did change some foods for lower calorie foods. For example: bread, I now eat whole wheat and for one slice only 40 calories.
  • PersianKitty94
    PersianKitty94 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    All of you have great results! It's my 3rd day on MFP. I plan on starting to actually workout at a gym with a trainer in about a week but I don't want to feel like I have to go 5-6 days a week just to lose weight. Basically just go when i feel like it. I mean, i would hope that a diet actually has an impact and it's not just for no reason. I heard weighloss is usually 80 percent diet 20 percent exercise.