how to log calories after midnight?

I'm usually not up this late! But if you eat after midnight do you log those cals on previous day's diary or for the new day? Hopefully I didn't word that too confusing! Lol

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Previous day - but I don't eat after 2am
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    I do the previous day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    I work overnights so encounter this issue all the time. I count a day as midnight to midnight, so if I eat something after midnight I log it as the next day. That way the 24 hours match up with my activity band burns.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    My day is from when I wake up till I go to sleep. Doesnt matter what time it is.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    I write it on the previous day's. I work overnights 3-4 times a week so anything I eat after midnight I just place on the previous day until breakfast the next morning which I put on the new day.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Depends on whether I have calories left from the previous day. If not, then it goes under the current day. I'll even split it across both days if the calories won't all fit under the previous day.
  • kat_para_
    kat_para_ Posts: 34 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    My day is from when I wake up till I go to sleep. Doesnt matter what time it is.

agreed.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I did midnight to midnight. The tool automatically resets to the next day after midnight, so it can be kind of a pain needing to go to the previous day first prior to logging. It really is just a preference. Keep your total calories in check and you'll meet your goals just fine!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Sleep-to-sleep for me. I'm usually up and eating after midnight.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    I have my meals labeled as time frames on my diary instead of names like "Breakfast" and such. I am a night owl, so I stay up late and wake up late which means I tend to eat my last snack or small meal after midnight. I have a separate "After Midnight" meal listed, and I add any food I eat after midnight to that spot. But, I also consider my day from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    I log midnight-midnight. As soon as the clock ticks over I start logging as the next day. I have insomnia so being awake and hungry in the middle of the night is something I frequently have to deal with during a chronic episode
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    I chart it on the previous day as a late night snack. I would not want to start my breakfast at 2am -4am.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    Until I go to bed and wake up again the next day, it's not the next day. Calendar doesn't matter. Wake up time to bedtime is one day.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    It's a new day so I'd log it under the appropriate day.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,713 Member
    I don't usually get to bed until 1:00 am so I keep it on the same day from the time I wake up until the time I go to sleep.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    I've recently numbered my meals (1-6, instead of Breakfast/Lunch etc), so I log it for the day before under whatever number is next. If it takes me over that day's calories I would rather just think "oh well, tomorrow's another day", than spend the next day resenting the fact that I've had some of my calories before I went to sleep.

I play all sorts of mind-games on myself though, to keep me on the straight and narrow. You may not need to do so :-)
  • TheNightWalker
    TheNightWalker Posts: 59 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    The same, but I usually don't eat that late anymore anyways.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    llbrixon wrote: »
    I chart it on the previous day as a late night snack. I would not want to start my breakfast at 2am -4am.

I changed my meals to say 12am-6am, 6am-12pm, 12pm-6pm and 6pm-12am. I got rid of breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks since my schedule is always changing.
  • knitstricken
    knitstricken Posts: 7 Member
    I changed my meals to:
    • 12-6am
    • Breakfast
    • Lunch
    • Dinner
    • Snacks (about 5x per day)
    • After 8pm to midnight

• Ieyen
    Ieyen Posts: 19 Member
    I do shift work , swing from days to nights and back, so I log based on times. I found that i eat a TON of calories on an overnight, then over the next few days I wind up in a deficit and basically break even over a course of a few days. Logging by time helps me see those kind of patterns (and be less freaked out about it)..on the other hand , it probably doesn't matter so much for a person a with a more regular schedule.