Does Losing Weight Make It Hard to Sleep?

I've never been too comfortable in my bed because it is too soft whereas I prefer firm. However, sleeping is something I love to do anywhere! Since losing weight, I've been having a rough time going to sleep and staying asleep. When I wake up, my entire body is sore to the bones..

Has anybody experienced this discomfort? Is it because of losing weight? Any other opinions?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Once I get to sleep, I'm fine. Sometimes it's hard to get to sleep due to my knees and ankles knocking together without the protective layer of fat they once had. My belly can cause minor pain if it's hanging wrong.
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    As I lost weight with the changes in my body sleeping did become uncomfortable. You get used to it though. Sleeping feels normal again.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I arrange my legs differently at a lighter weight - don't like my knees stacked directly on top of each other.

Also need two mats for Pilates classes or lying on my front is uncomfortable after a while.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    I've noticed it's less comfortable to sleep on my side due to my hip bones and knees crushing against each other. Extra pillows help!
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Ive been having a hard time sleeping because it seems like I have too much energy at night.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited March 2016
    Could the pain be down to exercise and your body aching from the day before? Also the staying asleep or getting to sleep might be more mental rather than to do with your body, maybe you're not tired enough and anxious about something? If I was you, I would take a relaxing bath or read before going to bed, make sure your whole body is relaxed, then try to sleep.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Ive been having a hard time sleeping because it seems like I have too much energy at night.

This is the same thing I have been experiencing
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    A magnesium spray on sore Muslim before bed and help you sleep
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Yes, my sleep doctor told me that weight loss and increased exercise both can affect your system in ways that can affect your sleep. This doesn't mean than you shouldn't lose weight or exercise, but it can affect body chemistry in various ways.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I'm sleeping better. I was in more pain in bed when I weighed more.
  • TricksterBreeze
    TricksterBreeze Posts: 135 Member
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    Could the pain be down to exercise and your body aching from the day before? Also the staying asleep or getting to sleep might be more mental rather than to do with your body, maybe you're not tired enough and anxious about something? If I was you, I would take a relaxing bath or read before going to bed, make sure your whole body is relaxed, then try to sleep.

I've actually taken the exercise factor for contemplation, though I fear it simply does not seem plausible. My exercises rarely cause me to be sore afterwards. In fact, the only times a day I feel aches are when I wake up because of an uncomfortable sleep!

• TricksterBreeze
    TricksterBreeze Posts: 135 Member
    yesimpson wrote: »
    I arrange my legs differently at a lighter weight - don't like my knees stacked directly on top of each other.

Also need two mats for Pilates classes or lying on my front is uncomfortable after a while.

Tell me about it! I can hardly manage to lay on my stomach for a half hour, but it's my favored reading/homework position!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Maybe you need a new mattress.