Sugar & Weight Loss

Options
alexreyn13
alexreyn13 Posts: 52 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just a quick question about sugar (more specifically, soda and energy drinks)

Can sugar content change how much weight someone could lose in a month versus cutting excess sugar? I drink these sort of beverages regularly (nothing crazy, my diary is open if you wanted to look. Though a few days are kind of all over the place) but still manage to fit them into my calorie deficit while never exceeding. I don't have any medical reason to cut back.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    If it fits, it fits.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Sugar will not alter the speed at which you lose weight over the long run. That is completely dependent on your calorie deficit.
  • alexreyn13
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    If it fits, it fits.

I guess it's hard to grasp the simplicity of "Calories in, Calories out. That's it, nothing else" ha... I always expect there to be other factors, it seems almost too simplistic to actually be effective.

Thanks for the reply =)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    alexreyn13 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    If it fits, it fits.

I guess it's hard to grasp the simplicity of "Calories in, Calories out. That's it, nothing else" ha... I always expect there to be other factors, it seems almost too simplistic to actually be effective.

Thanks for the reply =)

There are other factors when it comes to health, satiety, etc. If cutting out a soda here or there is something you're interested in, no one is going to argue with that either.
  • watcher1600
    watcher1600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can only post about my own weight loss journey when i reduce my sugar intake or meet MFP daily sugar recommend sugar goal lose weight faster than when I go over. Yes calories in and out matter but some foods are better for weight loss.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I can only post about my own weight loss journey when i reduce my sugar intake or meet MFP daily sugar recommend sugar goal lose weight faster than when I go over. Yes calories in and out matter but some foods are better for weight loss.

All foods are the same for weight loss. Different for nutrients and health.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Those with insulin ressistance will tend to lose weight a bit faster when high carb foods are removed from the diet, but it makes no difference to those without IR, as far as I have read.
  • watcher1600
    watcher1600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

As i said in my post "my experience on my own weight loss journay"

Here is an link concerning this https://authoritynutrition.com/20-most-weight-loss-friendly-foods/

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Sugar is basically unhealthy to consume. Do so at your own risk. :)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Here is an link concerning this https://authoritynutrition.com/20-most-weight-loss-friendly-foods/

Yes those are nutritious foods :)

It is still about calories.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

There is little tolerance on this board to references to your own experiences when you suggest that certain foods don't work for you. It is contrary to the MFP gospel.

Empirical evidence to the contrary is always said to be only motivated by self-interest, or the work if crackpots. The idea that foods are metabolized differently, and that some cause increased cravings is not typically accepted.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Saying "I do better eating these foods and not these" is accepted fine -- how foods affect you is individual.

Saying "for weight loss people should avoid these foods and eat these" is something different and, yes, frowned upon by many of us. Obviously, for nutrition use common sense, and there are many tips that work for many people for satiety, but most people figure them out by experimenting and paying attention. Websites that say not to eat bananas or whatever food happens to be demonized today or that you should eat various superfoods that magically cause weightloss are disgusting.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Saying "I do better eating these foods and not these" is accepted fine -- how foods affect you is individual.

Saying "for weight loss people should avoid these foods and eat these" is something different and, yes, frowned upon by many of us. Obviously, for nutrition use common sense, and there are many tips that work for many people for satiety, but most people figure them out by experimenting and paying attention. Websites that say not to eat bananas or whatever food happens to be demonized today or that you should eat various superfoods that magically cause weightloss are disgusting.

I agree with most everything you said in the second paragraph.

What you shared in the first paragraph has been completely false in my admittedly brief experience.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I lose the same amount weight regardless of my sugar intake. Calories are the only thing that matter for weight loss. 80lbs down including sugar, and even sometimes going over the mfp sugar guideline. Meh. I only lose slower if my deficit is smaller, and if someone were to cut out sugar and not replace those calories, then they're creating a slightly larger deficit= more weight loss. If they added the sugar back into their diet without eliminating other foods, then the deficit gets smaller=less weight loss.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@watcher1600 thanks for that great link and your experience. It kind of sums up nearly two years for research and reading and my current Way Of Eating.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    No, if you have no reason to medically cut them out and are losing fitting sugary drinks into your calorie allotment then you're fine :)
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me personally I feel better and lose faster by dropping the processed carbs and excess sugar. But I think you need to do what you can maintain. I don't miss the sugary stuff 5.5 months in. Because I don't have the highs and lows that I had with them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I agree with most everything you said in the second paragraph.

What you shared in the first paragraph has been completely false in my admittedly brief experience.

I think people (including me) misunderstood a particular post of yours (claiming that people should not say that you can eat whatever you want for weight loss) as doing what I was talking about in the second paragraph. By the end of that thread I understood that you were not (but thought you'd misunderstand what the "eat whatever you want" advice is intended to convey), but also did not think people were as harsh as you seemed to have believed. Lots of misunderstanding all around.

Anyway, I choose not to eat lots of things, and haven't noticed anyone caring -- it's what works for me.
  • alexreyn13
    Options
    I know this post is a bit late, but just wanted to thank everyone for the replies =).

So basically, it all comes down to calorie intake regardless of what it is (if it fits, it fits). People here all have their own personal preference that worked for them during their weight loss journey, so obviously different takes on foods can clash with each other.