Do you eat back your calories burned from working out?

Options
After running i usually get pretty hungry during the day. I dont want to waste my hard work. How many of you eat back your calories?

Replies

• bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Are you seriously asking for advice with them abs, we should be asking you. So what's your secret? @avedabean85
  • Mentiri
    Mentiri Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I didn't when I was losing and I do now that I'm maintaining. Well, most of them anyway. I use them as a bank to pay for any indulgences, like a second helping of dinner or a bedtime snack.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I always eat back my exercise calories generally with another added 50-100 just Incase I burned more than I thought
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm losing, not maintaining.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    No way----Jose!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I try not to. Maybe 100-200 or so over my regular calories. It just makes me happy knowing I could eat more and I'm not.
  • chulipa
    chulipa Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    No i dont because nobody is for sure how accurate calories burned are so to be safe i dont but if i have a meal out or a bad day I can say i have calories banked
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    I eat every last calorie I can get my hands on while still letting me hit my goals.
  • sourcandies
    sourcandies Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually eat back half right after a workout so I'm not eating the fridge the rest of the day.
  • avedabean85
    avedabean85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think ill leep from eating them. My calories burned seems inconsistant..so rather be safe than sorry.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Good on you, op.

I'm set to lose half a pound a week and eat back a portion of my Fitbit adjustments. I've been eating 2k nearly everyday and losing on point according to Trendweight.
  • IAmDemonx
    IAmDemonx Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After running i usually get pretty hungry during the day. I dont want to waste my hard work. How many of you eat back your calories?

After a long run I'm usually not hungry (even if I was before it) I would probably eat a protien bar (usually around 200 calories though) those are a bit filling, and or you could eat something that doesn't have a lot of calories but is filling, for example lettuce (I might be the only one who can stand that plain though) pickles, Greek yogurt (I find it to be super filling and usually under 100 calories)
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I do eat back some of them. My body needs fuel after a workout, and since I'm on maintenance and not trying to lose anymore, it gives me some leeway in my diet now. I enjoy working out and running, but not trying to create too much of a deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So many people are clueless as to how this website works.................

MFP as designed gave you a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. Even people who can't/won't exercise still lose weight......or they should if they are logging accurately.

When MFP gives you additional "earned" calories, that ideally gets you back to the deficit you signed up for. It's a general recommendation to eat back 50-75% of those calories because calorie burn estimates tend to be generous.

WHY would you want to eat back exercise calories? Large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle. If you just want a number on the scale, then lose fast. If you want fat loss, then lose at a moderate pace.
  • bezza666
    bezza666 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Only on Fridays, but I am a maintainer. When I was losing, no I didn't eat them back.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    bezza666 wrote: »
    Are you seriously asking for advice with them abs, we should be asking you. So what's your secret? @avedabean85

my guess...thats her goal picture :P ..if not..OP can do whatever she wants.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, there's no point in eating back the calories. Just take the bonus deficit. Or, eat an extra snack if you're really hungry late in the day. If you're trying to gain muscle like a body recomp, then you do want to eat back those calories because your muscles need them.
  • wisenbsd
    wisenbsd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    nope, I leave them alone and mark my calories at 1
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, there's no point in eating back the calories. Just take the bonus deficit. Or, eat an extra snack if you're really hungry late in the day. If you're trying to gain muscle like a body recomp, then you do want to eat back those calories because your muscles need them.

Why do you think MFP gives you these "earned" calories? Perhaps it's just a programming fluke?

No - it's the way the program is designed. Unlike other programs, My Fitness Pal gave you a calorie deficit with zero exercise factored in. Because after all, exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

MFP gives you these calories back to keep your original (intended) deficit. A larger deficit makes it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. If you want "weight loss" as in fat+lean muscle then carry on. If you want to limit lean muscle loss as in mostly fat loss then eat back a portion (50-75% ....margin of error) of your exercise calories back.

A body recomp = a very slight calorie deficit or eating at maintenance.