Gym membership....

Options
I'm not doing too well with sticking with workouts. Do you think signing up for a gym membership would make me more likely to workout and hold myself accountable more? Thoughts?

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You have to be motivated, above all else.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    It definitely motivates me. I don't want to waste money so if I'm paying for it I'm going to use it.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    If you're going to have to force yourself out the door to get there, then...no. And I don't see how it makes anyone more accountable.

I do find it motivating for me though. Just being in the atmosphere and having other people around me at 6am working out makes me want to move too. It's still up to me to get myself in the car though.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have a hard time working out at home and tend to work out more if I have access to the gym. I love the gym. Others prefer to work out at home and can't seem to motivate themselves to get to the gym. Others just don't get motivated to move at all and find outside circumstances to blame.

I don't know which category you fall into. But if you're unsure, maybe trying a month or a couple drop in sessions before committing to a longer membership.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How long do you work out? How many times a week? What sort of workout?
  • oedipuss
    oedipuss Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Being accountable for working out on a regular basis can only come from YOU :) It is for YOU that doing this will be some of the best insurance for your health and wellbeing that you can give yourself..

Many many years ago "block" gym memberships were a rarity, it was a years membership or nothing.....very expensive! In the past I have known people who shelled out almost four figure sums and only go for around six visits before the "I can't be bovvered" button switches in, LOL! Yes it can be tough at the beginning for some.

You need to make "me" time and once you start working out regularly the feel-good hormones will kick in and you will start noticing little bits of buffness appearing and that is a massive boost and going to the gym becomes fun and self-esteem goes shooting up.
    I still get days where I have to force myself to go but always get that great buzz once I have finished, walked out of the door feeling like a (getting on a bit ;) ) superwoman!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If you are thinking about joining a gym and don't work out now. I would take a free weeks trial pass if they offer it. Then see how it goes for you there. No point in spending money on a gym membership if you aren't going to go regularly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Gyms make a good deal of their income from people with memberships who never use the facilities.
    Think of the post Christmas/New Year "resolutioners" who sign up, go potty for a few weeks and then are rarely seen again.

Enjoyment, dedication, motivation and goals are all linked - which of these are letting you down?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    No. Paying for a gym membership does nto mean that you will use it. Most gyms rely on customers who pay and practically never use the gym.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    ilovefastcarstoo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will try some gyms out and see what works for me. I believe me going to a gym will help me workout. We will see. Good luck on your journeys! :)
  • TashaaaKayeee
    TashaaaKayeee Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    I recently joined a gym & before that I was doing insanity.
    & I absolutely love the gym! Great atmosphere.
    You'll enjoy it :) give it a try!
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Try to find a gym buddie, that worked for me. Paying alone did not work for me.
  • HomeatWDW
    HomeatWDW Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I thought it would motivate me, but so far it hasn't. My gym is undergoing massive renovations in the locker rooms so I've been using that as a lame excuse to avoid it (although really, the sign "Workmen will be in and out" in the women's locker room is more than a tad creepy).
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used a free week pass and took a couple of classes to find a place I liked. I go in the mornings and find it is now just part of my routine to get up and get there. I love going but I do wish I had a gym buddy. I did at my old gym and it made it much more interesting.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    Options
    I Was excited to try a club fitness right by my house. I looked it up online and it has nothing but terrible reviews. :(
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing too well with sticking with workouts. Do you think signing up for a gym membership would make me more likely to workout and hold myself accountable more? Thoughts?
    You don't buy motivation, it needs to come from within.
  • ilovefastcarstoo
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I totally understand. It's a mix of motivation and the preference of using a machine to burn a lot of calories and something in front of me telling me how much I'm burning. A workout at home doesn't do that. Plus maybe being in an environment where other people are working out may help others be more motivated, including myself.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

I totally understand. It's a mix of motivation and the preference of using a machine to burn a lot of calories and something in front of me telling me how much I'm burning. A workout at home doesn't do that. Plus maybe being in an environment where other people are working out may help others be more motivated, including myself.

There is nothing wrong with going to a gym obviously. Many people, if not most, prefer to do their workouts outdoors, or in a gym or with a group.If you feel like joining a gym because it sounds interesting, absolutely do so. If you are hoping that paying for a gym membership will give you motivation, it will not.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    my friend joined our new local gym few months back and hasnt gone yet even for an induction.
    this really is a personal thing. i worked out in my living room for ages, but some say they wouldnt be motivated to do so, therefore go to the gym. You will be surprised how fit you can get working out at home. I now have a gym membership to push myself further

you just have to make the decision and stick to it