sedentary husband

Options
My husband is not a real heavy guy, he's never had food addiction. But when i met him 4years ago he was pretty slim and now he's gained about 40lbs. I know i have a lot to do with his weight gain, but how can i help motivate him to try to look and feel better for himself? He doesn't seem to care...

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Is there an activity (hiking/biking/swimming) that you both enjoy that you could get him to do regularly with you? Could you get him to work out with you under the disguise of a support partner to motivate you?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Lead by example, maybe he will catch on. Weight loss happens on a calorie deficit and exercise is for health.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    It's likely that you can not try to motivate him without it sounding like criticism. How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Do your thing for your health and fitness and maybe your example will inspire him.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Lead by example, maybe he will catch on. Weight loss happens on a calorie deficit and exercise is for health.

This. We all have our ups and downs. Do what you've got to do for your health. He will likely come around eventually. Try not to stay on his case about it - just lead a healthy and active lifestyle and hope that he follows suit.

You can't make someone lose weight if they aren't ready. He has to come to that decision on his own.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know i have a lot to do with his weight gain, but how can i help motivate him to try to look and feel better for himself? He doesn't seem to care...
    You probably have nothing to do with his weight gain but you can't change him either. Marrying someone and then trying to change him/her is inadvisable. I gained about 40 pounds myself and my wife was wise enough to never say a thing about it. She knew I'd do something about it when I couldn't stand myself anymore and eventually I did.

• baddis322
    baddis322 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what it took for me was a picture that my wife took. She had been working for a year at her loss and I seen the picture she took and I didn't like what I seen. I started my journey on january 7th and I am working hard .
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    You can't. He has to want it himself.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You posted earlier that you've had trouble keeping weight off and sticking to new, healthy habits. So why don't you worry about yourself, and get your own weight issues under control. Then, as others have said, you'll be leading by example.