Looking for friends with high blood pressure!

Options
Hello I been diagnosed with high blood pressure and am over 400 pounds. I was put on meds right away and my bp is still higher. I am looking for friends with high bp so I can follow their diary for meal ideas and to see what you all eat. Thanks

Replies

• veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don"t have aa diary, but Have high blood pressure. That's getting much better. I cut down on salt. And lost alot of weight. Lost the weight walking and by eating alot less.
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Check out the DASH diet cookbook, it has good recipes in there. It lowered my cholesterol and my blood pressure in only a month or two. Good food, quick, painless and delicious, not to mention healthy.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I do have to keep a mindful watch on my BP and sodium. All I can say is that I try
    Edit : part of message got loss

4000+mg for me is a rarity these days. weight loss and steady bouts of exercise/movement did help.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was able to get off meds by diet and exercise. As I got closer to my BMI being "normal" it got too low. I eat low sodium too like the DASH diet suggests. I belive the combination of losing weight and consciousness of sodium was responsible.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My BP had gotten higher than it should, so my Dr put me on a low sodium diet. I did not want to go on meds, so she gave me four months to get it under control I did it in under two months.

I still have occasional spikes, stress related, but I am pretty well controlled, and not on meds.

The side effect of this was also losing weight. She told me to lose 10 pounds. I took her seriously and have lost 90. I am almost back to the "old/better" me.

My diary is open, so you can see what I eat.

It takes a little practice, to get in to the low sodium habit, but once you do it is actually easy. You can do it!
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I was just put on blood pressure meds a couple weeks ago. I am working to bring it down with diet and exercise. The whole low sodium thing is still new to me and I fail miserably at it a lot of the time. I'd love to check out other diaries to get ideas.
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to check it out.

I have logged a few items as "recipes". When you see Tuna Sandwich, in my diary, it is made with no-salt added tuna. :smile:
    rsleighty wrote: »
    I was just put on blood pressure meds a couple weeks ago. I am working to bring it down with diet and exercise. The whole low sodium thing is still new to me and I fail miserably at it a lot of the time. I'd love to check out other diaries to get ideas.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    My diary is open, feel free to check it out.

I have logged a few items as "recipes". When you see Tuna Sandwich, in my diary, it is made with no-salt added tuna. :smile:

Thanks! I appreciate the ideas!!!
    I think the thing I need to remember is to always pre log my food until I am better at picking low sodium things. I did good today until dinner and I ate before logging. Oopsie.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    dr. talked about taking me off meds. but since I had a stroke I"m afraid to aggree to that. Then Yesterday I acidently forgot my morning meds. So it went UP so not sure. would be interested to hear How it worked for others to be taken off pills. I got My colesteral down in 2 Monthes to.. Dr. never told me to loose weight I decied that on my own.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not any more after significant weight loss. I watched my salt intake when I was. The simplest way to keep it low is to prepare foods yourself. Prepackaged foods tend to have too much.

When I went low salt I learned to flavour my foods with onion, garlic, pepper. My taste of vegetables switched to the stronger ones, and fresh, fresh, fresh. My palate became much more sensitive.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My diary is open as well.
  • MBentley79
    MBentley79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion for you, something you can try. I drink 2 tsps of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar a day. I drink the Braggs brand and pour it in my glass of orange juice. Drink with a straw. My blood pressure was never too high but been close to borderline high and it's been lower and a very healthy range since I've been drinking ACV. Plus I haven't had one bit of trouble with my sinuses since either and I have chronic sinusitis. Good luck! Hope this helps!
  • Hope228
    Hope228 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also have high blood pressure. I will send you a friend request.