Daily calorie intake

Options
Hello, I've been exercising and dieting for about a month now. I've lost 7 pounds. However, I'm wondering if my daily calorie intake is enough? I typically consumer 600-900 calories a day by eating only two meals a day and a snack. I always keep each meal below 400 calories. I've read online that you shouldn't eat less than 1,200 calories a day. But is this a circumstance where it's acceptable to do what works for my body?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Unless your extremely overweight, a temporary low cal diet like that is okay. Notice I say TEMPORARY. Until body weight is lowered, but that low of calories is doing way more harm than good. You can't get vital nutrients on that amount of calories and your body will burn both muscle and fat to sustain itself. That's a setup for malnutrition
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. Period. You are looking at muscle wasting, not a good look.
  • laurengleaves123
    laurengleaves123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Unless your extremely overweight, a temporary low cal diet like that is okay. Notice I say TEMPORARY. Until body weight is lowered, but that low of calories is doing way more harm than good. You can't get vital nutrients on that amount of calories and your body will burn both muscle and fat to sustain itself. That's a setup for malnutrition

I am 5'7" and currently 120. Thank you for your advice I will start to eat more! But is it possible to eat more and still maintain my weight as long as I keep exercising?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The registered dietician I have talked to said not to go under about 1400 calories. Any less and you can't get all your nutrients. She said that almost everyone will still lose weight at 1400 cals. At the calorie level you are eating, you aren't getting everything you need to stay healthy.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I am 5'7" and currently 120. Thank you for your advice I will start to eat more! But is it possible to eat more and still maintain my weight as long as I keep exercising?

So, you're underweight. What exactly are your goals?
  • laurengleaves123
    Options

So, you're underweight. What exactly are your goals?

I am not underweight... I was around 130 and wanted to get to 120 and I'm there for the most part some days I am heavier where I'm 122-123 but that's because weight fluctuates. I want to maintain this weight so that I don't gain the weight back. Was just wondering if I could maintain this weight on a higher calorie intake.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You should work with a health professional to estimate your Lean Body Mass and calculate your BMR and TDEE. BMR is the base number of calories your body needs to maintain itself and TDEE accounts for energy expenditure. Once you've calculated that target, work with that to see if you gain or lose weight. If you really want to maintain your weight, look at setting up a resistance training program. We lose muscle as we age, so setting up a resistance program will help to offset that loss and prevent bone weakening down the line.

The only way you're going to know if you can maintain that weight on a higher calorie intake is by eating more calories and finding out if you gain weight. Make sure you're not cutting so many calories that you're not getting basic nutrition (and taking a multivitamin doesn't count, btw). 600-900 seems really low! It's common for most people to under report what they eat, so it could well be that you think that's how much you are eating but you're actually eating 1200. Hard to say!

Just use some basic math and science to calculate your targets and experiment from there.
  • ClosetBayesian
    Options
    I stand corrected. Your goal weight puts you at a BMI of 18.8, so not underweight, but within six pounds of it.

600 to 900 calories is still very, very low, and not a healthy way to lose or maintain weight; it's highly unlikely you are getting all the nutrition you need at that level. When you go up to 1200 a day, you will probably gain weight initially, but it is possible to maintain on that once your weight stabilizes.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected. Your goal weight puts you at a BMI of 18.8, so not underweight, but within six pounds of it.

600 to 900 calories is still very, very low, and not a healthy way to lose or maintain weight; it's highly unlikely you are getting all the nutrition you need at that level. When you go up to 1200 a day, you will probably gain weight initially, but it is possible to maintain on that once your weight stabilizes.

I'd still call 120 underweight for a 5"7 person..

• ClosetBayesian
    Options

6 pounds away from it, technically. Not saying it's doable, not saying it's a good idea, not saying getting there would be healthy physically or mentally, but it is not technically underweight.
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options

6 pounds away from it, technically. Not saying it's doable, not saying it's a good idea, not saying getting there would be healthy physically or mentally, but it is not technically underweight.

Yeah I know what you're saying. I'm thinking of the physical look and not the BMI numbers.

I'm 5"8 and I know if I got anywhere near 120 or even 130 I'd look plain emaciated.

• ClosetBayesian
    Options

Yeah I know what you're saying. I'm thinking of the physical look and not the BMI numbers.

I'm 5"8 and I know if I got anywhere near 120 or even 130 I'd look plain emaciated.

Right there with you. I'm 5'6, and 130 for me is.... eye-watering, and not in a good way.
  • Gotchocolate
    Gotchocolate Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Two seperately issues here, that level of calories is NOT healthy and I think you should raise it immediately to at least 1200. However, I'm not going to make you feel bad for asking, that's what this forum is for right? And, I am also 5'7 and 120 lbs. I can maintain that weight with about 1500 calories on average. I eat more on days I workout and sometimes slightly less, maybe 1400 when I don't work out. Just some info for you to not be afraid to eat more. I'm also not looking to lose weight, I just use mfp to maintain and to make sure I'm getting enough protein, etc.
  • laurengleaves123
    Options
    Two seperately issues here, that level of calories is NOT healthy and I think you should raise it immediately to at least 1200. However, I'm not going to make you feel bad for asking, that's what this forum is for right? And, I am also 5'7 and 120 lbs. I can maintain that weight with about 1500 calories on average. I eat more on days I workout and sometimes slightly less, maybe 1400 when I don't work out. Just some info for you to not be afraid to eat more. I'm also not looking to lose weight, I just use mfp to maintain and to make sure I'm getting enough protein, etc.

Thank you I appreciate YOUR feedback a lot!! I was eating that little when I was losing weight. It wasn't like I wasn't eating I was just eating a lot of low calorie foods. Lots of vegetables incorporated into each meal which don't maintain much calories. Also a lot of chicken. I just started to feel really hungry a lot because it wasn't food that was keeping me full very long. I have raised my calorie intake and feel much better knowing I can maintain my weight on that amount. Thank you!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Im 5 '6 1/2 and my maintenance is around 1800 maybe a bit more. so yes you should be able to eat more and maintain your weight. 600-900 calories should only be eaten under the supervision of a doctor.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Im 5'6 1/2 and my maintenance is more than 1500 calories and Im 41. why is yours so low? just wondering
  • Christine_72
    edited March 2016
    Options

Im 5'6 1/2 and my maintenance is more than 1500 calories and Im 41. why is yours so low? just wondering

I was about to ask the exact same question..

I'm 5"8 and 44, and my maintenance will be 2000+ when i get there. But my goal weight is 143lbs, so not sure if that extra 20lbs would make a huge difference??
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I studied nutrition in college. This low of daily calorie intake should not take place for too long. It can damage your organs as well as deplete protein from your muscles.
  • Gotchocolate
    Options

• Gotchocolate
    Options
    Mfp says my maintenance is 1770 with my weight of 119 lbs and being 5'7, with a lightly active setting. However, I was just saying that what I've found to be true (in real life) is that if I try to stay around 1500 calories my weight stays about the same. On the days I workout I eat more to compensate. Hope that clears up the confusion!