Has anyone ever eaten 10 bananas a day?

Options
Has anyone ever done this?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That seems like an excessive amount of bananas and I'd get tired of them very fast. Is there any particular reason why you're asking?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    For what purpose?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    I don't mind the odd banana, but I don't see any benefit to eating 10.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    No. I've eaten 1 banana for 10 days (at least).
  • Megann555
    Megann555 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight quickly. I need to gain 15 pounds. I already eat bread, pasta, peanut butter, etc and still find it really difficult to gain weight.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Megann555 wrote: »
    I'm trying to gain weight quickly. I need to gain 15 pounds. I already eat bread, pasta, peanut butter, etc and still find it really difficult to gain weight.

You need to find out your maintenance calories and eat above that number. It may take some time to figure out, and it won't happen overnight.

Adding 10 bananas a day will not help if you're not eating a calorie surplus. Eating that many bananas a day will get very old, very quickly.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Look up "calorie dense foods" eat a variety of these once you know how many calories you need to maintain your current weight eat that for a couple weeks and then slowly add calories. Maybe try adding 100 a day for a week then 100 more. Once you have added 500 calories a day stick with that and see how it goes. You should gain about half a pound a week.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Here's what I said in the other thread that you made asking about eating 10 bananas.
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    Eaten in moderation, there are no significant side effects associated with eating bananas. However, eating the fruits in excess may trigger headaches and sleepiness, Flores said. She said that such headaches are caused by "the amino acids in bananas that dilate blood vessels." Overripe bananas contain more of these amino acids than other bananas. "Bananas can also contribute to sleepiness when eaten in excess due to the high amount of tryptophan found in them," she said. Magnesium also relaxes the muscles — another sometimes-benefit, sometimes-risk.
    Bananas are a sugary fruit, so eating too many and not maintaining proper dental hygiene practices can lead to tooth decay. They also do not contain enough fat or protein to be a healthy meal on their own, or an effective post-workout snack.
    Eating bananas becomes significantly risky only if you eat too many. The USDA recommends that adults eat about two cups of fruit a day, or about two bananas. If you eat dozens of bananas every day, there may be a risk of excessively high vitamin and mineral levels.
    The University of Maryland Medical Center reported that potassium overconsumption can lead to hyperkalemia, which is characterized by muscle weakness, temporary paralysis and an irregular heartbeat. It can have serious consequences, but you would have to eat about 43 bananas in a short time for any symptoms of hyperkalemia to occur.
    According to the NIH, consuming more than 500 milligrams of vitamin B6 daily can possibly lead to nerve damage in the arms and legs. You would have to eat thousands of bananas to reach that level of vitamin B6.

http://m.livescience.com/45005-banana-nutrition-facts.html

Also, you can eat the peel too while you're at it.

In short, don't eat 10 bananas in a day. You'll poison yourself. Eat no more than 2 a day.

Here's the original thread:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10356727/has-anyone-tried-eating-10-bananas-a-day#latest
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I studied nutrition in college. Bananas are rich in potassium. Too much potassium in your blood can lead to dangerous, and possibly deadly changes in heart rhythm.
  • rawley69
    rawley69 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I studied nutrition in college. Bananas are rich in potassium. Too much potassium in your blood can lead to dangerous, and possibly deadly changes in heart rhythm.

Agreed, 10 bananas would put you over the recommended daily.
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

^What the article I quoted says summed up very nicely. :)

It's amazing how much info is on the Internet nowadays. If people would just take the time to research it properly.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I've probably eaten 5 or 6, not 10 though
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Pizza would be an easy way to get hella calories with better-than-banana macros.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    In addition to potassium, there's also the sugar aspect of it that would make eating 10 bananas a day dangerous. That would result in an excessive amount of sugar being consumed daily, and probably enough to be damaging (especially if you're already eating other foods with sugar).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Oh, hell no. I had to eat 3 bananas a day for 8 weeks when I was a kid - stupid pediatrician insisted on it to keep potassium levels up while I was taking a particular very strong antibiotic long-term. As if there are no other foods that would have worked.

I loved bananas. Then I started to not like them, and I ended up loathing them. It took a couple of years before I was willing to try banana again.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Let me guess. Freelee the banana girl inspired?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

No, actually OP posted this exact same question in Gain Weight board.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10356727/has-anyone-tried-eating-10-bananas-a-day#latest
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

My bad...
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

My bad...

When she first posted this I thought Freelee too! LOL