Cardio & Weights For Weight Loss

Options
I am doing cardio 4-5 days a week. Does lifting weights affect your weight loss program.

Replies

• 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Diet = looking good with clothes on
    Diet + Exerecise = looking good without clothes

Your diet is the most important part of your weight loss program. Exercise is obviously good for your health but will not necessarily speed up your weight loss. You will look and feel better though ... go for it!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. To do this you need to use energy by doing exercise, either cardio or weights. They both have there benefits and you should do both. Weights help you build and maintain muscle, keeping you strong and will help with posture and movement as you get older.
    Cardio burns energy mostly while you're doing it, whereas, weight training will continue to use energy even after you're finished because the body repairs the muscle fibres and bone density increases
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lifting will help you retain muscle while you lose. There may be a slight stall/gain at first as your muscles hold on to more water, but it's temporary.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If your gaining muscle forget the scales go by tape measure only
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Weights should be priority, with cardio secondary if you have time. Building muscle burns calories 24/7 - cardio doesn't. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    First phase is being lean/slimming & then when I am at an reasonable weight say 75-70kg I will start weight training that is the second phase.

You'd be better off preserving your lean muscle mass while losing weight than trying to add muscle back on later.

@ninerbuff @SideSteel maybe you'd like to chime in here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    First phase is being lean/slimming & then when I am at an reasonable weight say 75-70kg I will start weight training that is the second phase.

You'd be better off preserving your lean muscle mass while losing weight than trying to add muscle back on later.

To me it is easier to build muscle when the body is lean because I will be able to
    see it when the body fat percentage is like 10-15%!!!

You're not getting it...when you diet, you lose muscle mass as well as fat...if you're doing resistance training, this mitigates the loss of muscle mass to a significant extent...it's already there, why not preserve it...it's much more difficult to build it than to preserve it.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

To me it is easier to build muscle when the body is lean because I will be able to
    see it when the body fat percentage is like 10-15%!!!

You're not getting it...when you diet, you lose muscle mass as well as fat...if you're doing resistance training, this mitigates the loss of muscle mass to a significant extent...it's already there, why not preserve it...it's much more difficult to build it than to preserve it.

^ correct, as usual