38 and Struggling!!

Options
Greetings. I am a 38 year old male and seem to be constantly struggling in reaching my goals. I am 6' and 211 lbs. My goal is to lose 20 lbs. and get 190 lbs. I really struggle with the eating. I am horrible at cooking and find myself still eating out because of the convenience. I also have a hard time keeping my 3 a week cardio workouts. Any advice to try and kick my motivation and focus into high gear? Thanks do much.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many pounds per week are you trying to lose? Sometimes people struggle because they have a low calorie goal due to an aggressive weekly goal. If you're aiming at 2 lbs per week, for example, switching to 1.5 or 1 pound would give you an extra 250-500 calories per day. It will lengthen your diet but you have to determine what works best for you.

As for cooking, what do you like to eat? We eat very simple meals at my house. Grilled or roasted meat (or a rotisserie chicken from the store, raw veggies/fruit, and something like mashed potatoes or rice is our most common supper. You can make a couple of days' worth of potatoes/rice and just reheat them. We also have pasta and pizza each once a week. I haven't really changed my family's meals as much as I've just changed how much I eat.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 41, weighed 210lbs at end of November. Now I'm at 177 lbs, I eat out a lot also. I just log everything. My workouts have increased over time. Now, I am just really looking to work on visual and fitness of where I am. I do Insanity workouts, about to start week 4 of that. And I usually get plenty of steps in from work or from golfing, and some lifting as well. Everyone is different, I'm self motivated, I do it for myself and my wife is encouraging of me doing it for myself. I didn't like being 210 at 6' tall, and decided I needed to change and I have. My original goal was 190, and before I reached that I lowered to 180, and again lowered it to 175. I'm close now and if I don't make it that's fine, as I'm very happy with how I am now.
  • Leighuno
    Leighuno Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I previously done the same, I have found planning my meals for the week helps as then I know what I'm eating each day. Temptation is always going to be there but your strong than the temptation!
  • Ant488
    Ant488 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Changing your eating habits is the first hurdle. Start cutting back your portions and eating healthy snacks and small frequent meals throughout the day. They have free nutrition classes at the gym, doctors, magazines, etc.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Havent you answered your own questions?
  • changinghabits23
    changinghabits23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    mtiesman--I know how you feel. For me, I am a big fan of the idea that I am "addicted to sugar"--or at LEAST sugar "sensitive." In a nutshell, for me that means my body reacts differently to SUGARS than the "normal" person. SO...I have found much success in kickstarting my healthy eating habits by the South Beach type of approach...going for 14 days with ZERO sugars...yes, even FRUIT is off limits. This purges my body of the addiction of sugars. There are also TONS of books and methods for a sugar detox, similar to South Beach's approach.

I find that when I kickstart my healthy eating habits this way, I can come closer to eating normal portions, and eating the right things.

Hope this helps...good luck
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    mtiesman--I know how you feel. For me, I am a big fan of the idea that I am "addicted to sugar"--or at LEAST sugar "sensitive." In a nutshell, for me that means my body reacts differently to SUGARS than the "normal" person. SO...I have found much success in kickstarting my healthy eating habits by the South Beach type of approach...going for 14 days with ZERO sugars...yes, even FRUIT is off limits. This purges my body of the addiction of sugars. There are also TONS of books and methods for a sugar detox, similar to South Beach's approach.

I find that when I kickstart my healthy eating habits this way, I can come closer to eating normal portions, and eating the right things.

Hope this helps...good luck

There are tons of books... probably because none of them work... or there wouldnt be tons...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I really think if we want something badly enough we will do it? 20lbs isn't too big a goal, it does take being motivated but thats down to yourself - what would help motivate you? do you want to trim down your stomach for example? just think how much better you'd feel if you lost even 5lbs e.g, aim for slow and steady loss, but start somewhere.

I know you say you're 'horrible' at cooking but its really not that difficult and a lot of meals can be made in 20 mins believe it or not :smile: , start off simply, google a recipe you'd like to eat (Jamie Oliver has a lot of quick meal ideas), get the ingredients you need and get cooking :smiley: you'll feel so accomplished when you do make an effort and you will come to enjoy cooking bit by bit.

And think of it this way, you will lose weight but you will gain money in your wallet from what you save on not eating out :smiley:

If you find it hard to do the workouts 3 times a week perhaps you need to find something else that you would enjoy. Do you go to a gym? how about lifting instead of the cardio or for some of the time?? or how about just taking yourself out a good walk now that the longer evenings are here.... :smiley:

Hope you find your motivation soon.