Calorie Deficit?

Options
I know this question sounds stupid, but can someone please explain to me how to create a calorie deficit? I understand that it means burning more calories in a day than you consume but typically my workouts don't add up to very many calories burned (less than 1000) and I'm eating typically between 1200-1500 calories a day. Does the deficit include the calories I burn at rest or should I be adding more exercise to my daily routine? I'm not a cardio bunny, I do include cardio in my workouts but I strength train more often. And I take a lot more steps in a day than my phone usually registers (I don't typically have my phone in my pocket). I'd like to lose weight and I see people saying I need a deficit, I just don't know how to achieve it or if I already am.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit and exercise is for health. Read this

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    If you set up MFP with your current weight and goals then you will be provided the number of calories you can eat in a day with the deficit already included.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You burn way more calories going about your day than you do exercising. The goal MFP gives you to eat is already at a deficit. They calculate your maintenance calories, then remove 250 calories for every half pound you wish to lose, or until it reaches the 1200 calorie minimum goal.
  • cadkins32672
    cadkins32672 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The Calorie Deficit includes all calories consumed and burned in one day. This includes what you burn while you are at rest. Your phone will not give you what you are burning at rest. This is best achieved by using a Fitness tracker watch that does Heart Rate and step count. I use the Basis Peak, but there are many. So if I am watching my calories that I burn in a day (total exercise and rest) and I am keeping under what MFP is telling me to stay under to reach my goal then each calorie I am under I start making the calorie deficit and will subsequently start losing weight. 3500 calories equals 1 LB. Try to do 1 lb a week by changing your lifestyle. Good Luck.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit doesn't mean going into negative calories overall.

You burn calories just by being alive; that is your Basal Metabolic Rate or BMR. This is what you would burn if you just laid in bed all day.

You burn calories by moving around and doing stuff, this is called Non Exercise Thermogenic Acitivity or NEAT. This is what you burn when cleaning, shopping, working etc.

Then you burn calories when exercising, this is called the Thermic Effect of Activity or TEF.

Add all these together and you have your Total Daily Energy Expenditure or TDEE.

Being in a calorie deficit means eaten fewer calories than your total TDEE.

So if your TDEE comes to 1500 calories and you eat 1200 you are in a -300 calorie deficit.

Hope that helps.

• Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    This info was supplied on another post. I wrote it down as I found it very helpful.

(A+B)-C=D

A= Calories burned during exercise.
    B= BMR, Energy (calories) expanded at rest
    C= Calories consumed by eating
    D= Deficit of Calories

So say you burn 500 calories doing exercise and your BMR is 1,876. A+B=2,376
    And for the day you've eaten 1200 calories. 2,376-1200 (C, Calories consumed) = 1,176 (D, Calorie Deficit) for the day.

Then if you take your daily deficit amounts and add them all together. Divide by 3,500 (1 lb.) this will tell you approx how many pounds you will lose that week.

Hope this helps.
  • NotMika
    NotMika Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to burn ALL your calories. MFP gives you an estimate of the calories you burn just in your daily life PLUS the deficit you want to lose a pound a week - or whatever. If you have a calorie allowance of 1, 500 per day, for example, MFP assumes you burn 2, 000 calories in a day and have built in the weight loss for you. If you eat 1, 800 worth of calories for a day, then you need to jump on the treadmill and burn 300 calories in order to reach your calorie deficit target.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    NotMika wrote: »
    You're not supposed to burn ALL your calories. MFP gives you an estimate of the calories you burn just in your daily life PLUS the deficit you want to lose a pound a week - or whatever. If you have a calorie allowance of 1, 500 per day, for example, MFP assumes you burn 2, 000 calories in a day and have built in the weight loss for you. If you eat 1, 800 worth of calories for a day, then you need to jump on the treadmill and burn 300 calories in order to reach your calorie deficit target.

A calories deficit is when you eat less than your body needs in order to survive. So for a woman you need about 2,000 calories just to live (eat, sleep, digest, breathe, etc). So what you do is you take out some of those calories so your body is forced to get that energy else where (from fat, hopefully).

Now i bolded @NotMilka because they're right, you're not wanting to burn ALL your calories. You NEED calories in order to live. "Burn more than you consume" is always so confusing because people take it quiet literally. And that's not what it means.

Please note, MFP normally way over estimates that amount of calories burn. Take about HALF and that's probably more accurate of how much you burn. For example, a 45 minute aerobic workout for me says i burn upwards of 300, i estimate it's more around 100/150. I eat anywhere from 1,300-1,500 PLUS workout. I do not add any calories back.

Understand eating 1,200 calories is the bare minimum for a woman, adding ANY amount of workout will cause you to dip below, and personally, i think that's an extremely bad idea. It sends you into "starvation". (no im not meaning starvation mode) i'm meaning you go below what your body needs in order to survive and can cause issues. Recovery time from workouts, being sluggish/sleepy, moody, etc. It's not good for your body. So if you workout i highly recommend you eat 1,300 calories a day at the least.
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Double post, sorry!